Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Members Only > SFT Information

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-16-2006, 05:28 PM
tigman250's Avatar
tigman250 tigman250 is offline
The Right Stuff
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,790
Send a message via AIM to tigman250 Send a message via MSN to tigman250
Default business card design

i have decided it's time to officially start a business and i need your sugestions on business card design. i have kind of decided on the name but i need to know what you guys and gals think about the details. i am only doing this part time and i don't want to seem like i am trying to take business away from my current boss so i want to put an emphasis on Tig welding, i spoke with him about a month ago and he said he didn't have a problem with me soliciting Tig work from the local shops because it's really not his specialty and he really dosen't like the Tig work anayway. i however would still like to let perspective customers know i am skilled in all types of welding processes along with any repair or fab work.

Craig Xxxxxx(last name) Repair
Specializing in GTAW (Tig) welding
Also skilled in GMAW (Mig) SMAW (Stick)

I welcome all types of repairs and fabrications

now that i look at it i'm prety sure that one will piss off my current boss, i better tame it down a bit. do you think i need to dumb it down by adding (Tig) (Mig) and (Stick)?

Craig Xxxxxx Welding
Specializing in GTAW
Skilled in welding Aluminum, Steel, Stainless Steel,
and many exotic materials including Inconel, Effexor, Mold Max
and many others.

a brief case filled with samples of my work will accompany me to these shops when i drop off my card so i can hand it to the right person as well as show them what i am capable of. plus if i can't include all my info on my card i'm sure it will come up in conversation :evil: at that time i can show them photos of my equipment and let them know exactly what it (and i) can do. i have alot more i would like to tell them but i don't want my business card to read like a novel or a resume, i guess i need to let my work and equipment speak for itself and have my business card be just my contact info.

please let me know what you guys think, some photos of your business cards or suggestions are also welcome!!

Thanks,
Craig
__________________
The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-16-2006, 06:44 PM
midmosandblasting's Avatar
midmosandblasting midmosandblasting is offline
Blast this!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calhoun ,Mo
Posts: 7,989
Default

If your card gets to busy it won't get used as much .All my contact cards from customers and suppliers are filed in leather card file and used regular.Something in color or design needs to catch your eye.Madam did a wonderful card a while back.Hopefully she will get in pretty quick.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-16-2006, 09:06 PM
GWIZ's Avatar
GWIZ GWIZ is offline
SFT Historian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 6,839
Default

To me "Skilled" sounds to Young. I would use Experienced
====
Take your pick.


Craig's Welding will Travel.
Specializing in heli-arc/Tig.
Experienced in other welding processes and exotic materials.
Custom repair and fabrication.....No welding job to small.
Owner operated.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-17-2006, 01:30 AM
sb62 sb62 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 31
Default

Congrats on your decision to go on your own. I am in the process of forming an LLC and getting my contractors license for my own start up company. I have been fortunate in the fact I have a very good friend in the sales/marketing field that has given a ton of advise along the way. What I posted below are some of the things he has advised me on. Hope you can get some benefit from it as well. I would post a pic of my logo and card but I have to wait for the license # before I can print so it has not been a priority yet.




I would consider changing the name to TIGMAN Welding. The name tells everyone that reads your card what you do!

TIGMAN Welding & Fabrication
GTAW and Exotic metals are our specialty
Also offering GMAW and SMAW services


Craig XXX Owner

Call the TIGMAN for all your exotic metal and TIG welding issues.



Pony up for a Titanium or Aluminum colored card stock that really stands out and if you can, list the exotic metals or other specialties on the back.

Have a clean, modern logo designed.

When you visit potential clients consider making up a nice sales packet to leave with them.
Develop a couple pages of project and equipment photos along with a seperate sheet outlining your shops capabilities. Take them down to Kinko's or someplace similar and have them printed on decent stock, then slide it all into one of those inexpensive presentation folders to leave with them along with a few business cards.


All this can be done fairly cheap( $300 to $500) and It really does add an element of professionalism to your cause.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

Steve
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-17-2006, 01:43 AM
SmokinDodge's Avatar
SmokinDodge SmokinDodge is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,869
Default

This isn't gonna help your card design one dang bit. But what if you made some simple little mind teaser/desk top toys out of stainless alum/or what ever exotic metal? When you go to visit leave one each place . It would be a neat way to show case your fab/welding skill and everyone who sees it will ask where did you get that? Then they have to think of Craig XXX Repair! :evil:
__________________
The guy that said money can't buy happiness never bought a tank of fuel for a turbo diesel.............
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Cebby's Avatar
Cebby Cebby is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 78
Send a message via AIM to Cebby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb62
Congrats on your decision to go on your own. I am in the process of forming an LLC and getting my contractors license for my own start up company. I have been fortunate in the fact I have a very good friend in the sales/marketing field that has given a ton of advise along the way. What I posted below are some of the things he has advised me on. Hope you can get some benefit from it as well. I would post a pic of my logo and card but I have to wait for the license # before I can print so it has not been a priority yet.




I would consider changing the name to TIGMAN Welding. The name tells everyone that reads your card what you do!

TIGMAN Welding & Fabrication
GTAW and Exotic metals are our specialty
Also offering GMAW and SMAW services


Craig XXX Owner

Call the TIGMAN for all your exotic metal and TIG welding issues.



Pony up for a Titanium or Aluminum colored card stock that really stands out and if you can, list the exotic metals or other specialties on the back.

Have a clean, modern logo designed.

When you visit potential clients consider making up a nice sales packet to leave with them.
Develop a couple pages of project and equipment photos along with a seperate sheet outlining your shops capabilities. Take them down to Kinko's or someplace similar and have them printed on decent stock, then slide it all into one of those inexpensive presentation folders to leave with them along with a few business cards.


All this can be done fairly cheap( $300 to $500) and It really does add an element of professionalism to your cause.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

Steve
Good advice. The only thing I'd change is the word "issues" to needs. Issues has a negative connotation.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Sberry's Avatar
Sberry Sberry is offline
GOD of Strawberries!!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,813
Default

Yup, I think Tigman is a great name. Says it all. Very clear, no confusion.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-25-2006, 06:06 PM
fluxcoreit's Avatar
fluxcoreit fluxcoreit is offline
tremendous or sumptin like that
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: TENNESSEE
Posts: 641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
Good advice. The only thing I'd change is the word "issues" to needs. Issues has a negative connotation.
think about it cebby some people that want us to weld for them have some real issues,but in the end you are right,john
__________________
genius has its limits stupid dont
if you can read this thank a teacher
if you cant thank a teachers union
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-25-2006, 07:52 PM
sb62 sb62 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
Good advice. The only thing I'd change is the word "issues" to needs. Issues has a negative connotation.
You are right.

How about change the word ISSUES to NEEDS
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Cebby's Avatar
Cebby Cebby is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 78
Send a message via AIM to Cebby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcoreit
think about it cebby some people that want us to weld for them have some real issues,but in the end you are right,john
Hell I have issues - I just don't advertise them....
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.