Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 10-12-2006, 04:44 AM

Default Purchasing a new Champion Air Compressor for home workshop-seeking advice

I would like to purchase an air compressor for my home workshop. I have spent the last 2 weeks reading and learning about air compressors. I have read for hours here on this site and spent many hours reading on other web sites. I had originally thought I would purchase something from a Hardware type store (ie. Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, etc.). After much (too much!!) reading, I have decided to get a better quality air compressor than these 'consumer grade' air compressors. I read many good (and some bad) things about Eaton compressors and have decided against purchasing an Eaton compressor. I have decided that this is a purchase I will make once and I would like the compressor to last for a long time (ie. 10-15+ years and be rebuildable, if necessary). I know many on here will recommend an older quality compressor. But, I have went local equiment shops and bought buy/sell/swap papers and I can not see any quality used air compressors for sale. So, I am asking for feedback on buying a new quality compressor.
I am restoring a car during the up coming winter. I will be using the following:
common air tools (impact wrench, cutoff wheel, etc.), small bench sand blast cabinet, HVLP spray gun, DA Sander, etc. I estimate my air requirements to be approx. 10-14cfm@90pis. I would like to get a compressor that puts out 15-18cfm@90psi. My compressor budget is $1500-$2000, though I am a bit flexible if I can spend a bit more for a superior product.
After all my research, two compressor names that seem to get mentioned frequently as being very good are Quincy and Champion. Though, I did read that even these companies may? be cutting some corners with their lower end compressors that could be used in a home workshop. I am leaning to purchasing a Champion compressor and would like to see if anybody has any feedback on these Champion compressors:
(i) Champion 5 HP, 2-Stage Champion Centurion Series $1,399.00. This looks to be part of the Champion RV (Reed Valve) Series. Price from http://www.tptools.com/prod_list_dis...HUM58WE8WH51T6

(ii) Champion Advantage VR5-8 Compressor $1995. Part of the Champion R Series. Price from http://www.masterwholesale.com/details/1108932193.

Does anyone have any advice on what is the best Champion compressor for the home workshop (given my air requirements) for a budget of $1500-$2000?

Are there other Champion compressors I should be looking at?

Or if there is another new quality compressor that fits my air requirements and budget, please let me know.

Thanks

PS - not trying to rehash this topic as I can see from reading past posts that this topic is continually rehashed. I am trying to get feedback/advice on purchasing a Champion compressor for my home workshop.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:41 AM

I just tried to look into those units but was unsuccessful.

I hope they work better than the websites that try to sell them. LOL

Years (8) ago I did the compressor search, I went out and physically looked at so many different brands and was amazed to find out many different brands are made by the same company, just different branding.

Also noted many sales people lacked product knowledge.

As long as you are looking at belt driven piston pump compressors they should do well for a long time. They do require a little more maintt. (oil changes ) but they are quieter and operate longer in dirtier enviroments. ( I ran a large woodshop for many years - tons of DUST )

Sorry I cannot help you on that specific brand though.
Delta Cut-off Saw
( I cheated and put a fiber disk in my woodworking saw ) LOL
DeWalt Grinder
DeWalt Cordless Drill

I have no clue what I am doing, but I got metal sticking to metal and no fires .... yet!
Old 10-12-2006, 06:16 AM
Big Iron

You can't go wrong with a Champion compressor. I have three.

http://www.gardnerdenver.com/GDCorpP...ute=to&id=1350
Old 10-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Lord of the Minions

It would seem that your needs as stated and as far as your compressor choices shown/linked, that either would fit the bill and should give lengthy service in terms of years used.

I will make a small comment about choosing a large piece of equipment like this, because it is a purchase that will be of use for years to come. My advice is this, if you think the first sized compressor will suit your needs, seriously consider stepping up the the next sized unit. If for no other reason to better satisfy your air needs as your toys grow in size and quantity.

Good choices.

LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 10-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Blast this!

Remeber some of the more aggresive radom orbital sanders are in the 25 cfm range. Thus L.W idea is a good one.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

I really have no input or ideas on Champion compressors.

Just wondering though, did you happen to look at any Rol-Air compressors? We had a dealer here at one time (may still, just havn't been out there in a while) and I was very impressed with their units. I've considered them as a replacement if my old Speedaire ever gives out (fingers crossed it doesn't).

Autobody sanders use a lot of air. I don't care what they're rated at, you'll find yourself pushing them much harder than they were designed. Spray guns are the same way. I have to make it a point to stop and let my big compressor catch up every once in a while. Even though its rated to supply more than enough air, and it's proven it can handle the demand, I don't like the idea of it working non-stop to keep up.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Autobody sanders use a lot of air. I don't care what they're rated at, you'll find yourself pushing them much harder than they were designed.
That was/is the main reason I haven't gotten any of the pneumatic side grinders like most of the large shops use. Killers of compressors, those things are.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 10-12-2006, 07:20 PM
That HURT!

Just looking at the specs for the 2 compressors that you have posted links for, I would lean toward the Advantage VR5 because it runs at a lower RPM and appears to have a pressure lube system (although it wasn't listed) instead of splash. I would think those 2 things = longer service life.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Founder: Machining Forum

I have right now a quincy, a champion and an Eaton compressor. For what it's worth, I would not ever buy another Quincy, The Eaton I absolutely love but I have not had it as long as I have had the other two. The Champion has lasted very well and i would not hesitate to buy one in that range again (5 to 6 grand if memory serves). I bought an Eaton because I could get more compressor for the money. Time will tell but I sure like the way it was built. I am just curious but what have you heard bad about Eaton?

Tact is for people who aren’t witty enough to use sarcasm.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:44 PM
American Tools Keep Americans Working

Quote:
two compressor names that seem to get mentioned frequently as being very good are Quincy and Champion
Hard to find two companies any better than those

Superb service, even years after the sale. Parts available nearly forever. Either would be a great choice.

The Champion VR5-8 runs its pump at only 710 RPM (full load at cutoff pressure). Very nice.

I'd also consider the Quincy 7.5HP (QT7.5-7.5-80V). The unloaded pump RPM is about 20% higher, but in return you gain an extra 6 CFM at 175 PSI. The same cost as the Champion with more output (at a slightly higher RPM).

Either will be a winner that should last a lifetime. Both are best quality units that will not let you down, supported by factories that really care about their customers.