Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 09-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Below Wholesale

Default Dewalt Multicutter and Evolution 180X saw reviews

Bought both saws recently, finally got to put them to work.

Multicutter- Works well for whats its designed for and if kept in the recommended postions. I am scared of wrecking the blade after reading some of the horror stories of low blade life. If you were cutting flatstock or pipe all day long this it the ticket. The recommended positon for square tubing is awkward. Rectangular tubing on edge is fine untill you have to cut the bottom. Spark city (blade bye bye). Some cuts are just hell on the blade. I was cutting 1/8x1x2 at a 45* the flat way. The whole cut was sparks and working the saw.

I do like the cuts, lack of noise, lack of sparks, and the idea.

The whole vice/table should be kicked back to engineering. It sucks plain and simple. Not happy with any part of it at all. The screw binds easily and turns hard. The sliding front stop/miter lock/pin thingy is just a mess. The vertical clamp seems not to really clamp at all, especially on 1" or less stock.

Blade life will determine the value of this saw. Its much more friendly than an abrasive saw, but you must be much more friendly in return.

Evolution 180X-Cuts though 1/8" tubing like its wood. The laser is a gimmick, ok if you are cutting a sheet I guess worthless for anything else. Not quite sure why the laser is battery powered instead of off the AC? My biggest complaint is the inability to see the blade in the cut (following a scribed line) There is no way to see the blade from the top of the saw like a traditional circular saw. One must look very far to the right to see the blade, or operate the saw from the right side. There is no way to pull the bade guard back like a traditional saw.At times the push to open blade guard does not work properly. The trigger has a safety on it that is left hand unfriendly. The only other complaint is the rip fence must be installed on the saw to fit in back in the case. I never use the fence so its take it off, put it back on. Should have had a space in the case for it (along with the wrench) like a dewalt/makita type case.

*edit* do not try to use this saw to cut metal roofing. It kills that $40 blade REAL quick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-multi.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	15551   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-evolution.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	15552  

Last edited by Cavalry; 12-02-2007 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:28 PM
American Tools Keep Americans Working

If your cuts are in lighter gauge material, .062 and under, you'll get long blade life. Blade life gets shorter as material gets thicker - see how many cuts you can make through 2" solid round steel

Quote:
...lack of noise...
As I remember it, the Multicutter & the F16E are at the same sound level, somewhere around 120db. Have you had your hearing tested
Old 09-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Below Wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by precisionworks
If your cuts are in lighter gauge material, .062 and under, you'll get long blade life. Blade life gets shorter as material gets thicker - see how many cuts you can make through 2" solid round steel

I think I will just throw shafts and such in the bandsaw...set the feed and come back later

I see dewalt has 2 steel blades.. heavy and light? .062 it pretty thin...is that for the "light" blade?

I have 2 heavy blades now...as most cuts will jsut be 1/8"-1/4"
Old 09-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Below Wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by precisionworks

As I remember it, the Multicutter & the F16E are at the same sound level, somewhere around 120db. Have you had your hearing tested
hmm mine was no where that loud? I was talking to my neighbor in slightly louder than regular voice. I would say quieter than a wood circular saw.

My abrasive saw is much louder! about the same as my 9" grinder

P.S. My hearing tests at above averge :evil:
Old 09-06-2006, 11:56 PM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

Cav, new blades are quiet. They get progressively louder as they get duller. I got around a thousand cuts with my first one. I started its demise with some 1 1/2 cold rolled solid round. Finished it off when a coupon came loose when I was chopping it in half. Wiped out three or four teeth...not the carbides, the TOOTH! That and the 5/8" bend in it told me to change it. The next blade lasted about 250 cuts and was done in by stainless flat 1/8 thick. I'll never cut stainless with a MS blade like that again. I am now on my last one and the third for the saw. About 300 cuts or more and still going strong.

For 1/8-1/4, you have the right blades. Thin stuff gets mangled a bit in that blade. 16ga does ok, but below that and it gets ripped up. I am going to try the Metal Devil blades for it next I believe. I can get them locally for a tiny bit more than the DW blades on Epay. They are doing fine in my Milwaukee metal saw ......so far.

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 09-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Below Wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDA52
I'll never cut stainless with a MS blade like that again. I am now on my last one and the third for the saw.
a little on the expensive side but there is a SS specific blade for this saw.
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW7749-...7?ie=UTF8&s=hi
Old 09-07-2006, 10:33 PM

Hi,

I have used on of the multi cutters for a couple of years now and I don't have any complaints. I don't cut stainless with it and I still use a band saw on bar stock. I use a ports band with a 1o tooth bi-metal blade that eats up to 3 in bar stock. Its very fast.

I use multi cutter on angle --box-- and round tubing. I think it goes a great job.

Jeff
Old 09-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry
a little on the expensive side but there is a SS specific blade for this saw.
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW7749-...7?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Yup, I know. I didn't have much to do. I thought I'd be ok...I was wrong. I will get a Metal Devil SS blade when I resume the stainless deal. I don't do much, so I am not worried about it now.

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)