Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 06-29-2006, 01:50 PM

Default Milwaukee 4-1/2" 8.5 amp grinder ?

One of the online vendors had the Milwaukee 4-1/2" 8.5 amp (model 6148-6) grinder on sale for $89.95. Anyone have one of these?

I am looking to add another 4.5" or 5" grinder to the stable, I must be getting old and lazy because I am tired of swapping between grinding wheels, sanding disc and wire cups.

Last edited by WP88; 06-29-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:40 PM
Pit Boss

I don't know if that is my specific model, but I bought a Milwaukee 4.5" at HomeDepot 6-8 months ago. I think it cost me $110 or so. I haven't had any problems with it.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Grumpy Bastard

I have their 6154-20, actually 3 of them I hate switching too. I like the soft starts and the variable speed for when I am grinding materials other than steel.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 06-30-2006, 02:08 AM
Bodyguard to madam X

Hi WP88. I have one I bought 2 or 3 yrs ago and just love it. The more I used it the better i liked it. I like how the gaurd repositions so nice and easy and removes the same way. The 3 positions handle is nice too. It is nice when you are rebuilding something and are always changing positions like right to left. You don't need a tool to do it with. It fits my hands good and I like the paddle switch. Has good power too. I bought it at Home Depot for $99.99. The last time I looked the price was still the same BUT it is now made in Mexico and has the red handle. Mine is USA with a black handle. They still look and feel the same. Amazon has them for $89.99 with free shipping but they are out of stock right now. It is the only one I have found that I like. You can't go wrong on it. Hope this helps. Charley.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:01 AM

I have 2, the old one has been thru alot but the motor still feels strong to me and the new one(2-3yrs old)is used daily. I still think I made a good choice, but I have found better. Home-depot has a Ridgid(I think made by Metabo) R1000 @ $89.97 that's as good or better. I like several things I like more but the switch is the best for me, especially when running for long periods. I have 2 of these. My best is the Metabo W7-115Quick, but it takes more $. Look for at Welding supply or a Fastnal Supply. Good luck on your choice.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:57 PM

After the comments I had decided to purchase the Milwaukee 6154-20 that Shade Tree mentioned.

However, while at Home Depot today, I saw they were closing out the Rigid R1000 grinders. Would not have even stopped to look if it weren't for the positive comments by D York. I bought the demo units from the two H.D. stores near me for just a little more than the regular price of one.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:30 PM

Alright my Makita lost some of its smoke today. It still runs but gets hot and is spitting the epoxy out the exhaust vent. I tore it apart and most of the epoxy has come off of the armature and the epoxy chunks have torn up the insulation in the field windings. It still has more balls than my larger amp Dewalt that I picked up a while back for using with a wire brush.

The Makita was my favorite. I liked the long paddle switch but it didn't like the heat today. Shade, WP88, since you have the Milwaukee 6154-20's, how do you like them. Have you used them hard? I don't have a big grinder so the little dudes have to tackle the big jobs too.

I figure I am going to order somthing this weekend and Amazon has them for $135. Looks like the Ridged/Metabo is no longer available. I like the paddle switches. Anything else that shoud be comparable?

Don S
Old 08-05-2006, 08:24 PM

I use a Dewalt with the paddle switch, it has served me extremly well for several years.

I did a quick search and this looks like a good deal on ebay
EBAY DEWALT
Old 08-05-2006, 09:07 PM

i have about 6 grinders 4.5 inch hate changeing wheels too!!!
Old 08-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Dodge City Marshal

Two local hardware stores sell the "PowerGlide" brand. They're cheap at $19.95 and a bargain at $15. I use them for wire brushing. No failures yet.

Quote:
Knock, knock. Anyone home? Anyone there? Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual’s life.
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/...ieve-life.html