Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 06-04-2006, 02:09 AM

Default Portable Line Boring...anybody done it?

I have been thinking about getting into portable line boring some time in the future after I get gone good with the weldin trailer and was wonderin if anyone here has done it or seen it done. I have looked on the net and found the kit to bore with a mag drill. I think the work is here for one of these and I dont know of anyone in the area who does it. Some of you know that I work for a limestone underground quarry and the compony ownes two underground mines within 15 mins of the house and a strip quarry about 15 mins also not counting all of the logging and trucks and construcsion equipment and coal strip mines in the surrounding area

Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful

this is the link to the site that has the boring kits for the mag drillportable line boring kits
Thanks James

SAGO MINE TRAGEDY
WE WILL NEVER FORGET
1-2-06
Old 06-04-2006, 07:55 AM
The Real Deal

Never done it my self but have seen it done several times. I think there is a lot of money to be made doing this. I thought about it for a bit but decided against it. Our local CAT dealer has a truck that they send to our shop from 250 miles away. I have seen home made setups but the factory setup that CAT uses is by far the best that I have seen. It uses hydraulics to for both drive and feed and he has a wire feed system setup for welding automatically I think down to a 2" hole.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:04 AM

10-28-1951 to 4-19-2021
Da Chief

James, I've used a similar setup several times, both shipboard and in the field. The first one was pretty nerve wracking, but I had a good teacher and had seen one done from start to finish. The actual boring is easy with the adjustable auto feed, and you won't break near as many tool bit inserts if you use it. The setup is the hard part, you have to be dead on and rigid with your setup, this can take forever, and "close" don't count...most manf. offer an up grade to 4 place digital mic's, well worth the extra money IMHO.
Sounds like your area can support this service, just don't be afraid to charge what it's worth. RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 06-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Yes girls, he's single!

I guess I'm just a backyard tinkerer on construction equipment, as I just cut the worn out bushings out of the buckets, and weld the new bushings back in place. Works fine, although I know that the boring rig is the correct way to do it.
Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and shouting WOW...what a ride
Old 06-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Elite Member

Go here and ask Wayne from NC., he will set you straight on that stuff.

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/boards.cgi
Old 06-05-2006, 01:33 AM

Thanks for the info

Digr, how did they make the boring bars for the homemade boring machine

Red, would this be easy for me to learn if Ive never done it before and have never seen it done other than videos and pics on the net. and if you dont mind me asking what is the going rate for this type of service

Chris, thats the way I ve done it to or weld up the fit and die grind it back down. Was thinking this would be a way to make some easy money
but if it was easy women and kids would be doing it

Scott, I went and sent him a message on that form thanks

BTW: I found another web site that has a unit with electric power unit and they also have a bore welder. they are suposed to give me a price tomarrow. Heres the link if anyone is interested
York Machine

Thanks James

SAGO MINE TRAGEDY
WE WILL NEVER FORGET
1-2-06
Old 06-05-2006, 07:09 AM
Blast this!

Default price

Central Mo., 85 mile drive for the boring company ,with 3 hole minimum .$1500.00 per hole.This is the rough bore ,wait for the sleeve to be welded in and bore sleeve to correct pin size.We had 25 done 1 summer,.We usually did 12 during a week long shut down .
Old 06-05-2006, 09:50 AM

Thanks Mid MO

got a call from a York machine rep today and he is gone to send me the info on there machine and a bore welder along with the price list. hes about 75 to 100 mies north of me and he told me there was just few in my area of about 100 miles that did the portable stuff and they didn't travel much out on the road.

James

SAGO MINE TRAGEDY
WE WILL NEVER FORGET
1-2-06
Old 06-05-2006, 11:33 PM
Lord of the Minions

Thumbs up

Quote:
Red, would this be easy for me to learn if Ive never done it before and have never seen it done other than videos and pics on the net.
One things for sure, if your not adept at things mechanical and don't have an eye for precision and the patience for the little things that make the difference between a good job or the best a customer has seen, .........screw that.

If your knowledge base is lacking in this field and you think your self able, doing the leg work to get the info and talking to those who have, is the right track to pursue. Setting up a test base to practice bore stack ups will work for the learning curve somewhat for starters.

Having access to some worn out buckets, pivots for the bottom of a backhoe, etc will be the actual real world testing of your ability.

We do something on these old 707's called "bottle pin and bushing fit-ups". The bottle pins are located 2 on each side of the wing root to the fuselage. One upper and one lower. These big aszzed pins that look like an old style glass milk bottle and basically hold the wing in place to the fuselage.

If one of the guys on the floor can be shown once to do the setup and line ream and be good at it after a few pin fits, line reaming won't be that big of a hill for you. The tolerances to be held will demand a process/individuality in each case.

Line reaming industrial type equipment or what you'd find in the oil patch, the biggest part of the chore/job that makes a good finish or a bad finish product is the setup before the boring takes place. Taking nothing to chance, and letting better judgement take the place of being in a hurry.

Having an eye for simplicity, yet maintaining held tolerances for the longer lines/multiple bores might appear easy to some and harder for others.

One thing for sure, if you want to be good at, you will, but I'd rather think of your being the best. The reason I say that is I've only seen a handful of co-workers at any given job in my past that I'd have working on my payroll. But some always wanted to try just that little bit harder to have something come out correctly instead of just ok or passable.

The cash outlay for what I'm seeing as 'the startup equipment' is huge when looking first glance at your not having any prior experience.

But, when I see it from the end view that you are possibly motivated to the point of seeing a goal and a business opportunity, it isn't that bad for an investment. Cheaper than owning a bar or a massage parlor. Less to explain to the wife as well.

It ain't rocket science, but it will test your mechanical abilities at times.

I hope to see more of this venture as it unfolds for you James.

Good luck/learning and best wishes

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 06-06-2006, 12:10 AM

10-28-1951 to 4-19-2021
Da Chief

James. that depends on how you learn best. Some folks can read a book look at the machine and run it, most can't. I learn best by doing it with one eye in the book and having another experienced person around to answer the proverbial "dumb questions". ( NO, dummy, hold it like this...) The setup and opperation of the tool is not difficult, just very exacting, patience is a virtue. OTOH if your most used tool is a 2 lb. hammer,and every screw driver you own is bent, this might not be your cup of tea...
The "machinist feel" thing is usually factory installed, I've not had much sucess teaching non gearheads any manual skill if they have no mechanical apptitude.
The "good 'ol boy' travelin' machinist that picks up most of the farm/ranch work around here, told me once that his base line is one third of the replacement cost of the item to be repaired, plus parts. (bushing's, pin's etc.) I don't know how he arrives at that ammount, probly just a SWAG. (I did notice that he don't miss many meals and his rig is shiney new,LOL)
OTOH the local CAT dealer's (Ringhaver cat in Tampa) pricing is more in line with what MIDMO was sayin' . I know that they keep one guy busy just welding up and re cutting splines and keyway's and fitting oversize pins, most of his work is in the field. Bucket and arm bushings, as well as hard facing, are usually done in shop. RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?