Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 05-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Curmudgeon

Default More Harbor Freight

And if the Jeep wasn't enough of a headache for one weekend, just as we (son Steve borrowed my trailer, loaned me a parts chasing car & then stayed to help) were nearly done with the water pump project, my air compressor suddenly blew a valve just as it shut off. We were using an air ratchet.

It was the Harbor Freight POS auto drain; it auto drained all the air out of my 80 gallon tank. So after we had the Jeep running, after we had dug out & tested a little treadmill motor & controller that Steve needed for his brass separator project and after he went home, I removed & trashed the auto drain & plumbed a straight pipe over to the side of the tank where it will be easier to reach. Seems like these things must have about a 50% failure rate but I was hoping to be one of the lucky half. I wasn't. It lasted less than 6 months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	autodrain.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	12253  

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 05-01-2006, 01:20 PM

Cutter...

Not to belittle your pain over the valve or hijack your thread but......

Drop us some more info on the brass separator. I have been interested in doing something similar but it is not an easy task. Would like to see your friends ideas and wht he has been able to acomplish.

Steven

Some people are like slinkies ... Not really good for anything....but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by standles
Cutter...

Not to belittle your pain over the valve or hijack your thread but......

Drop us some more info on the brass separator. I have been interested in doing something similar but it is not an easy task. Would like to see your friends ideas and wht he has been able to acomplish.

Steven
Hee hee hee,
Steven, I have been begging this "boy" to pay some attention to us - well, really to you guys - I am not especially into guns other than to admire the aesthetics & workmanship, but I have told him what a bunch of gunfreaks some of you are. Steve is a competition handgun shooter at a couple of ranges/clubs or something here.
Best I can tell, this is a pretty basic redneck rig he has but it works. He called back last night just delighted with the treadmill motor. And he promised to bring it over for pictures. But he has his own haunts and hangouts & probably has no interest in hanging out with us.
Maybe posting his separator will hook him. So I will try to do it.

By the way, he is my friend but he is also my son. He spells his name like you do, too.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 05-03-2006, 07:56 AM

Yeah us "gun freaks" are a unique brand. My problem is my interests are so varied I am master of none....

I shoot USPSA/IPSC , IDPA, Skeet and anything else that goes boom. I was going to try the cowboy shooting but didn't want to have to purchase a halloween costume to compete

My daughter (17) has already comepeted in several regional and state events. She is getting close to beating dear old dad. I told her when she beats me she starts ponying up for gas and entryfees. Funny.... She hasn't been that cloase since I told her that LOL!

Tell him post the pics and plans so us other design challenged folks can look at his handiwork.

Later, Steven

Some people are like slinkies ... Not really good for anything....but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.