Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 02-03-2006, 01:16 AM

Default L-W Dividing Head

Recently, I acquired a large dividing head. It has a 5 1/2-inch center height and weighs 122 pounds (after cleaning). It shared two characteristics with most items I add to my inventory: 1) It was cheap, and 2) It was incredibly dirty and neglected . See picture #1. I knew nothing about the L-W brand at the time of purchase but it was made in the USA, appeared to be good quality, and it was fitted with a nice 6-inch 3-jaw chuck. It's able to do spiral milling but I didn't get the gears and supports that would link it to the milling machine table. That didn't really matter to me as I don't plan on doing that sort of work. I did get a tailstock of good quality; apparently their manufacture. One mounting ear is broken off but I believe I can repair that.

I tore the thing apart and got it in about a zillion pieces. See picture #2. The outside was really nasty, but inside was pristine and showed no wear. The gears were tight and there was no slack in the spindle so I left that alone and started on the cleanup. That took awhile! Much of the unmachined areas had originally been finished in black wrinkle paint and the grime had settled into the pores quite nicely. No way to make it look really nice without removing all the old paint. For now, I just cleaned the parts, relubricated, and put it all back together. See picture #3.

Let me tell you, this thing is smooth as silk! This is a quality piece ! The main casting is marked L-W Chuck Co., Toledo, Ohio; sure enough, the 3-jaw chuck is one of their products and was dated 10-64.

I never found out much about the L-W company. On another group, someone said that they went out of business in 1990 after a long downward spiral. They also made vises, but those were not well regarded. The chucks were fine but their profit seems to have been in dividing heads.

Now, here's the bad news : I only have one of the indexing plates and I don't have a center or center dog. Do any of you have a pointer to some dividing plates? L-W appears to use the B&S pattern. I have the 37, 39, 41, 43, 47, 49 plate and need the 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 and the 21, 23, 27, 29, 31, 33 plates. The plates are 5 inches in diameter, have a one and one-eighth center hole and mount with three countersunk slotted screws. You guys have a box full of these laying around?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-Dividing Head Before.jpg
Views:	1162
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	9595   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-Dividing Head Disassembled.jpg
Views:	1088
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	9596   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-Dividing Head After.jpg
Views:	1251
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	9597  
Old 02-03-2006, 02:32 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilitla2
you guys have a box full of these laying around?
No, but that's a thing of beauty anyway.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 02-03-2006, 07:30 PM
American Tools Keep Americans Working

During their long time in business, the L. W. Chuck Company made thousands of these. They are often sold on eBay, currently one for sale now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/L-W-Chuck-Univer...QQcmdZViewItem

The seller is Dave Sobel, who is a great source for lots of pre war machinery and tooling. (Pick any war from WWI or after ) An email or phone call may yield some results.

http://www.dogpatch.com/bobp/sobel.htm
Old 02-14-2006, 02:51 AM

Quote:

During their long time in business, the L. W. Chuck Company made thousands of these. They are often sold on eBay, currently one for sale now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/L-W-Chuck-Unive...1QQcmdZViewItem

The seller is Dave Sobel, who is a great source for lots of pre war machinery and tooling. (Pick any war from WWI or after ) An email or phone call may yield some results.

http://www.dogpatch.com/bobp/sobel.htm
precisionworks (and others):

Thanks for your responses. The short of it is, I am still looking for those elusive index plates. Dave Sobel had some plates but they were not an exact match and I'm not quite that desperate just yet. He DOES have an AMAZING inventory!

Perhaps one of you will run into some plates eventually.

Thanks,
===xilitla