Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 01-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Curmudgeon

Smile Homier 4x6 - Purchase, Repair and "Review"

I got an email from the traveling tool gypsies that they are going to here in town this weekend, starting on Thursday.
I am going to go hoping to see this little saw & wondered if any of you own one?:

http://www.homier.com/detail.asp?Ses...=119&sku=03111

http://www.homier.com/thumbnail.asp?a=03111&b=600&c=600

Edit: Feb. 2, 2006
Since this thread did result in the purchase of the little bandsaw and turned into a repair of a faulty or broken motor mount, and then a preliminary review I decided to edit the title and to post this information in the beginning. This is the Homier model #MBS46/0311 swivel-head metal cutting horizontal bandsaw. I have attached a photo of the data plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	saw-dataplate.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	9569  

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951

Last edited by cutter; 02-02-2006 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:53 AM
Trailers for sale or rent

I have no experience with that saw but I just received the latest Grizzly catalog and they have one listed that is just about the same for $450.
The only difference is that the Grizzly has a chip tray between the saw and the stand and the Homier seems to have better wheels. I bet you could build a chip tray, if you needed it, for a little less than $250! Grizzly shows theirs to be a 5"x 6". Plus, the Grizzly would cost $65 to ship.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:56 AM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

Every time they are reported as hitting a town on Hobart, they never have the saw. May be a conspiracy to pay the high shipping price. Let us know...they may get down here one day.

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 01-24-2006, 01:13 AM
Curmudgeon

Yeah, Leon said they didn't have the saw on the truck when they got down to Pearland. But you never know.
I looked at it on their site a couple of weeks ago & had to "add to cart" to find out what the shipping
cost would be, and I had to register before I could even do that. Then I dumped the page after finding
out shipping cost was $104.
Sooooo, they emailed me to ask why I "failed to complete the transaction?"; I replied that increasing the
cost by 50% was not digestible by my reckoning.
If they bring some I will probably buy one but I doubt I would ever order one.

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Old 01-24-2006, 08:01 PM

Default homier

i looked at the same saw shipping to new york and they charge your states highest sales tax also it wa sno deal ,neat looking saw ,i like the way the saw swivels and the vise is rigid
Old 01-24-2006, 11:46 PM

make sure its stong for your kind of work!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 05:19 AM
Lord of the Minions

cutter,

As far as life expectancy, no idea. But it does look to be a handy saw. Light, easy to move around, easy to setup and work.

Of course you'll have to build some nice new stands.

The band saw that I bought from HF 2 years now in the shop, with the coolant pump has cut it's share of tubing round and sq and more f/bar than I'd have wanted to cut and grind using the o/a. For the money, it's paid for itself.

You'll like it if you can find it. That's not a bad looking saw. You should get 2 and share.

LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 01-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwhiway
cutter,

As far as life expectancy, no idea. But it does look to be a handy saw. Light, easy to move around, easy to setup and work.

The band saw that I bought from HF 2 years now in the shop, with the coolant pump has cut it's share of tubing round and sq and more f/bar than I'd have wanted to cut and grind using the o/a. For the money, it's paid for itself.

You'll like it if you can find it. That's not a bad looking saw. You should get 2 and share.

LW
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwhiway
cutter,

LW
Well LW, I have some little lightweight stands I've been using but they were really lowballed for woodworking. So far, i've gotten by with them.

Soooo, I made it out to the Tool Gypsy barn at the fairgrounds yesterday a little while after they opened. They had one ( yeah, count them - I said 1 ) of the bandsaws and it took me a good bit of poking around to find it. Then it took a good bit of wrangling to get it bought, loaded and out of there. There were 2 lines to the checkouts with 2 registers at the end of each line and each line was about 50 feet long. I actually got a temp employee to go get a 2-wheeler to load it one but sure enough, one of the tires was flat. So I gave up & got my own, got another shopper to push the load back to me & got in line. Finally got checked out & the same temp worker came along & offered to help me load out; once we got outside I had him guard the boxes while I fetched my Jeep; he also helped me load it & I happily gave him 5 bucks. All that took about an hour & a half.
In case you're wondering, the little tin cabinet comes in a separate box (some assembly required - in fact, all assembly required ) and that box weighs 48lbs while the saw itself is assembled (more or less) & that box weighs 178 lbs according to the minimalist owner's manual.

So last night I opened the cartons & hunted up the manual; almost immediately, I noticed some "extra parts" floating around in the styrofoam packing tray - never a good sign with Chinese tools. So I got my camera & photographed them where they sat, then took a close up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	parts.jpg
Views:	833
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	9365   Click image for larger version

Name:	parts2.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	9366  

Just Keep Walking

Old 01-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Elite Member

Keep those pictures coming Cutter, perhaps that part is part of the vice mechanism?
Old 01-27-2006, 11:46 AM
Curmudgeon

Well sir, I was not pleased about that but I really don't want to go through the hassle of returning this thing so I poked around a few minutes to see where this snapped-off lug came from. It wasn't the blade guides and it wasn't a piece of the idler wheel assembly, so that was a relief. Then I noticed the motor was wobbly. Sure enough, the motor is bolted to a cast-junkiron base which in turn bolts to the main casting. The top mounting lug of the cast iron base is missing the bolt hole. I can make a better mount out of 1/4" plate I believe & that would be easier than screwing around with Homier. And a whole lot quicker. The saw is still in the box & I won't have time to do any more with it until tomorrow but here is a picture that shows how the motor wobbles around & I will post my running battle with this little saw as it unfolds so we can all see if I threw my money away.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tilt.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	9367  

Just Keep Walking