Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 01-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Urban Gunfighter

Default Harbor Freight hit list

I saw this thread on Pirate, and thought it might be a good idea to start our own list of good tools that HF offers.

keep in mind, that yes, more$$ nets you better stuff, usually, but we all have our favorite cheap stuff we have bought there.

I have the 43468 12" disc sander and like it

the 37151 4x6 saw (replace blade and lube, make new stand) and it is one of the most used tools in the garage for fab.

I have 3 of the 34271 3 ton floor jacks, and have only had one that I eventually needed to replace the orings in.

I have 3 pair of the 38847 6 ton jack stands, they work well.

I have the 31980 bender, but have never bolted it down to try it out.

I bought the 91012 sheet metal brake, and it was ok, but ended up doing no more than my current box brake would do. great for the $$, but I thought that the description meant it would bend 12 ga mild steel the full 36". it will do it to about 12". I sold it to a neighbor for making sheet metal patches in his chevelle resto project.

I have the 34202 pressure pot blaster. valves and tips are kinda crappy, and it is tough to get the sand flowing properly, but when it works, it works pretty good.

I have the 38347 parts washer. has worked well, I just wish I had the space for a larger one.

I use the 560 bottle jack on my home build H frame press, and it has worked ok so far.

I bought the 6834 press plates and they seem ok.

38335 ball joint/u joint press. have two of these... they work great.

44899 4 ton porta power. can't beat it on sale for a 4 ton unit.

I have been buying some of the Pittsburgh hand tools for my trail tool box in the Jeep. decent enough quality for the $$, and supposed to be lifetime warranty.

List up what you have, and if it was good or bad.

keep in mind to search for the coupons.

Last edited by chumly2071; 01-27-2006 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:00 PM
set phasers to .50 caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumly2071
I have been buying some of the Pittsburgh hand tools for my trail tool box in the Jeep. decent enough quality for the $$, and supposed to be lifetime warranty.
I have the Pittsburgh long-handled dykes. They are the only non-Klein tool in my electrical bag. They are awesome! I gave away my first pair to a friend before I left Colombia last fall, and gladly bought another. I got the first on sale for $3; I had to pay the full $7 for this latest one.

I have several of the imitation vice-grip welding clamps. You can go through the pile and pick ones that are smoother than others, but when stored outside, they get gritty and rusty quicky in the adjustments, while the genuine Vice-Grips right next to them still work like they are new.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Pit Boss

Chumly, do you use the 12" disc shaper on metal, or wood. I have been thinging of getting one to use for deburring, and minor grinding on metal if it has enough power to do so.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Elite Member

I've got lots of that stuff, including a cheap chop saw that's been through a lot of use and still works well. I have a ball joint puller/installer, the bender you (Chumly) mentioned, the sand blaster, and a bunch of clamps. That stuff can really save the day if chosen with care.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:30 PM
Urban Gunfighter

I use the disc sander on metal. Usually I'll rough the corners on brackets off with the vertical bandsaw, and then "tune" it to a smooth round corner. (I usually use an appropriately sized socket as a template, and trace around it with a carbide scribe.) I bought some new more aggressive discs to put on, but so far, the extras that came with the sander have been surprisingly adequate for limited use. it actually has some decent torque to get the disc spining and keep it there, and really doesn't seem too bad so far on the balance.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to teufel Send a message via MSN to teufel

20 ton press
4x6 bandsaw
Lots of pittsburg tools for trail bag (No problems replacing broken tools)
4.5 grinders. loud and weak. use for wire brushes and trail bag.
4 pair 3 ton jackstands
4 pair 6 ton jackstands
balljoint tool. makes replacing ujoints easy in middle of nowhere.
C-clamps
welding blankets- minor sparks ok
20 Gal parts washer
hammers
pry bars
magnetic bowls @ $2 they come in handy. trailbag item too.
welders magnet
butt joint clamps (whatever they're called)
3/4" and 1" Impact sockets and impacts.
drill bits + drill doctor
tool bags
spot sandblaster

I'm sure there are others I've missed.

belt sander I looked at is on sale again. $130 w/coupon
Old 01-24-2006, 07:38 PM

Talking God only knows......

since the store opened here in Mobile Al. Just looking at my receipts.... about $1500. Just got 41 in roll cab about 2 weeks ago. 18 volt cordless drill, folding work table,impacts, sockets, hammers,wrenches, 20 ton jack,wheels for gen and yard cart, multi meters, bunch of grinders, wheel balancer,spray guns, carbide saw blades, halogen bulbs, halogen lights, acid brushes, yada,yada,yada.
I only buy when an item is on sale and try to get a coupon( thank you chumly 2071 ). Get to know the manager and the floor people. I go to the store at least once a week and talk with those in power.

Frank
Bobcat 225, MM175, XMT 300(yes it still works), Lincoln Tombstone (sold), Hobart Hefty CC/Cv, Airco HF, Profax spool gun,Victor and Smith torchs, and the latest addition... A Katrina throw away MM130. It has been revived and works quite well.Add a Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC, another Katrina junker has been revived.Total cost to repair both less than $200.00.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:55 PM

I am sure I am going to call this by the wrong name but I sure do like my auto water bleeder for my air compressor. Can be found every month or so for about 6-7 dollars on sale.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:39 PM

The metal/masonry chopsaw definitely not the exact one, but similar. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44829. It's the one that normally is on sale for $59. Mine has a black base and an orange blade cover. Maybe it's in the sale catalogs. I bought it to cut some bricks, figured I more than broke even on that project. Then it went on to live a full life cutting steel for three years. Don't use it as much anymore, but it is still running great!
Other great things I've gotten are gloves (6 pack of gloves for under 5 bucks)
The 12 ton shop press helped re-build the transmission in my truck. Haven't used it much since, but it paid for itself. Let's see, the 10 inch pneumatic wheels are awesome, some leak a little but hit them with that stop leak and they are fine. Oh, I know - the little plastic squares! They're more than accurate enough for most jobs.
Oh, and the multi-size-hole bits (uni-bit?) where each notch is one size up? Awesome at $14 bucks for 3 of them, titanium coated too.
--Bob

Scars are tattoos with character...
Millr 210 with 3035 spoolgn, 125cf tank C-25w/.030 wire. spdgls 9002x. Jet 5x6 bndsw, 4.5, 9 inch grindrs, chopsw.

Owner
www.snowblowerskids.com
ARMORskids: Strongest snowblower shoes on the planet. Specifically designed for cracked uneven sidewalks and gravel.

Last edited by Bob_S2; 01-25-2006 at 09:27 AM. Reason: added link
Old 01-24-2006, 11:14 PM
Dodge City Marshal

Quote:
The metal/masonry chopsaw definitely. I bought it to cut some bricks, figured I more than broke even on that project. Then it went on to live a full life cutting steel for three years. Don't use it as much anymore, but it is still running great!
Bob, I've searched their site and I don't believe I found a saw such as yours... would you please link it?

Quote:
Knock, knock. Anyone home? Anyone there? Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual’s life.
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/...ieve-life.html