Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 10-09-2005, 03:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to AntiBling Send a message via MSN to AntiBling
Default The shop(s) project....

....or the ever eternal quest for the perfect shop.

Well I figured I should start a thread for my shop(s) projects. First up is gonna be me getting my base of operations together, or HQ as I will reffer to it as.

History: I live on my grandparents old farm, this garage was used for many years as the main shop for the farm, up until a few years ago my uncle got a big machine shed he moved to. Leaving the old garage to be the new HQ.

Now I messed up when I started this project this spring, I didnt take any before pictures, because you would be amazed at how far along I have came.

I cant ever remember a time when the floor of that shop wasnt covered in a foot of garbage, there was only a path in front of the bench going to each door, barely wide enough to walk on. Some suprises came up through cleaning this out, like there was actually concrete under a inch of dirt, I had always just thought that it was a dirt floor. There was also a engine block burried in the back, I found a arsenal of hot shots and a real throwing star to ward off any attackers, and I found some of the neatest safety glasses from the 50s that were brand new in a box. Im going to be burried in these.

Also in the pictures, imagine the walls, like they were before, covered with battery cables, belts and hydraulic hoses, and basically anything else they could mount on a nail.

But I have rambled on enough, better post some pictures to keep your attention somewhat.

Ahh my camera shy dog was looking at me, but as soon as I lift the camera she turns tail and walks away.

Old 10-09-2005, 03:55 PM

On to scrap metal. I have been sorting through all the scraps and such that were in the building, but I have gotten less picky about what I will throw and keep as the project has gone on. I was trying to sort the good bolts from the old rusty and worn out ones, but I said screw it and just dumped all the bolts that were in the shop. My uncle wasnt gonna look through the good ones anyways, he would just buy more new ones and toss the ones in a bucket that he doesnt use. I filled about a barrel full of just bolts.

Metal I am keeping somehow made it from outside to inside, I gotta start making some racks.

One semi cleand up pile of scrap that was blocking driving something in the door.

The other unsorted side.

One crate of scrap, I got two that are two times as high as this crate that I will have to fill with scrap before I get done, if not 5 more barrels on top of them 2 crates.

Last edited by AntiBling; 10-09-2005 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:57 PM

East side filled with garbage in the weeds. Some of the items are tires, rims, a auger, parts for a drinker, and other misc crap.

Some shots of metal Im saving next two the buildings I have to tear down. Info on them later.

West side of shop,

Last edited by AntiBling; 10-09-2005 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:20 PM

I tricked her, I raised the camera while she was laying under the tractor, she turned her head away from me then I whistled and she looked and I snapped quick.

Now for the good news for my home built free shop project, and good news for my welding business too. I can do in the field repairs!

It looks like a trailer with a bunch of junk on it, but under it is a PTO driven generator. I was showing what I had done to the garage to my grandpa and there was a double male ended plug laying there. He said "Dont throw that away, thats for if the power goes out you plug it in to the welder hook up and to the generator and power the farm." Well I wasnt going to throw it, he told me about the generator on that trailer.

Then I told him that the hook up for the welder had been ensconced by my uncle for his new shop. Luckily he has wire on the farm, and I found a new plug in cleaning out the shop and he is gonna wire up a new one for me.

So I will be able to move my welder in and start working on a work bench and racks for the metal this week.

Now for plans. What I want to do. The concrete is pretty crappy, Im debating wether to bust it up (this spring) and put a new floor in, or just get some quickcrete and fill in the cracks so I dont lose bolts and stuff down in there. I want to tear out all the shelves and cabinets that our in there, pluck out the thousand nails that are in the walls, and start with a blank canvas. Insulate and put up melamie board for siding and the ceiling. Put up some halogen lights, and build a work bench along the north wall, its on the west wall now but I want the sides to be free for doing bodywork on my pickups.

The good news also is, I got that metal cleared up enough, that I could try fitting my Tahoe in, its the widest of the FSC I have, it will fit with at least 3 inches to spare on each side with the mirrors folded in. The garage inside is plenty wide, but the door is a 7 foot door.

So the next thing I will try explain is plans & location for the future free shop, and just what I have ahead of me for cleaning out scrap and lots of fire! But not today.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Curmudgeon

You know, I grew up around a treasure trove of scrap like that & couldn't begin to appreciate it until I moved away from it many, many years ago. But you have the benfit of several other men's lifetime accumulation of leavings there. That makes it a great start. Enjoy it.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 10-09-2005, 09:03 PM
The Real Deal

looks like a fun project, something new all the time.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:28 PM
Mender of the Yellow Iron

Location: Belton South Carolina Home of the Standpipe Festival
Thumbs up

AntiBling,you got a good thing going there. The little door thing can be cured but the main thing is you are making Grandpa happy. Just using the shop he used for so long probly makes him proud!
Old 10-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 7018

Looks like a fun project,Keep us posted on your progress!!!
Old 10-09-2005, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender
The little door thing can be cured but the main thing is you are making Grandpa happy. Just using the shop he used for so long probly makes him proud!

Well the little door, nothing will be done with that. It has a brick foundation on the building that limits me from widening the door, plus it works for me right now, I can fit my vehicles in there, thats all I need, I want a bigger shop that I can have more than one project ripped apart at one time, and still have room to bring in farm equipment that needs repair at the same time. But thats probably a long ways off.

And I dont think its the fact that I am using his shop that makes him happy, I asked him if its alright if I cleaned the stuff out of there, and he said he doesnt care, but I think the fact that I am going to be ripping all the shelving and such off that he built and put up in there, i think that kinda hit him hard, I am gonna try and reuse the stuff if I can, if not in this garage one of the other sheds I use for storage.

But I will get him into it, he is all geared up to start wiring the hook up for the welder in their again, and once I get some lights and stuff, and the heater Ill have him helping me hook that up.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:36 AM
SFT Brewmaster

looks like your on your way ....but just do me one favor ....put that ford back to 6 volt

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it
---------------------------------------------------