Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 04-22-2015, 06:49 PM
Gadget Girl

Default Bucket repair AR400

Had my neighbor from up the street come by last week and he asked it I'd fix his bucket for him..

He has been a wonderful neighbor.. When I was redoing the front porch because it was all rotten out and sagging 5 inches in the middle he came by and offered to bring his crew over to get it done (he's a house builder).. when he came back by later in the day I had already removed all the siding and such and was getting ready to install all the jack's.. He said forget the crew you are a machine I'll come back tomorrow to help.. And he did..

Anyhow over the 8 years we have been here he's just done little things and refuses to be paid for any of it..

I figured it would be my turn to return the favor so I said sure.. Be happy to fix it. He said make sure I order the materials and he would pay for them..

I ordered them.. Went and paid for them and when he found out he was so mad at me..

Materials were AR400 1/4 21"X96 and 3X 3/8X5.5"X 96 for wear bars and cutting edge.. 385.00 and tax..

Today was the big day.. I used the torch to cut out the old bottom which was pretty work worn and started to have a big tear in the bottom corner..

I didnt' get any pictures of this only the taken out piece and the new one installed.. The bucket is to big for me to move around myself.. I can tilt it and drag one side at a time to move it but flipping it is out.. So most the welds were done uphill, downhill and upside down..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150422_134035.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	123724   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150422_134044.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	123725   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150422_142822.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	123726   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150422_145226.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	123727   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150422_145530.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	123728  

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.

https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...860#post766860
Old 04-22-2015, 06:56 PM
Gadget Girl

I was sure to brace it before I cut anything out.. Learned that one the hard way before..

I also added a few holding blocks tacked in place to support everything.. This makes things so much easier.. The tack welds were a little to good on a few of the braces.. Fillet pieces.. they wouldn't knock out.. I had to cut em.. Argh..

The back sheet was pretty distorted but was able to knock it all back into shape and with some friendly persuasion it looks almost brandy new..

I have 2 more wear plated to add on.. Started on one..
Since i couldn't flip the bucket over and my back, arms and hands were sore I decided to call it a day.. Besides that it was 5:45pm and time for some supper..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150422_145536.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	123730   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150422_172949.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	123731   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150422_172956.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	123732   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150422_173006.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	123733   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150422_173019.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	123734  

My google+ page

DoALL 36"

Old 04-22-2015, 08:55 PM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

Good looking welds Jen. Using just a FCAW E71T1 type filler with CO2 or C25? Just curious for some future welding on this AR 500 plate I got some of.

Sent at the expense of a phone bill.

Finch Fabrication
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn
Old 04-22-2015, 09:02 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

Location: Northwest Illinois,.. the land of Fat Greasy Pancakes

Very nice work, if you where local, Id be bringing you a bucket too ! I need a bottom on mine or a new bucket, too much poo for too many years.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:42 PM
The Real Deal

Excellent repair I have done many of those jobs and braces are your friend. Wouldn't your tractor flip it over?
Old 04-22-2015, 11:42 PM

Nice job. I've rebuilt quite a few on my own equipment over the years. Put new cutting edges on the loader last year, and hoping they outlast me. Mike
Old 04-23-2015, 05:59 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldor2005 View Post
Good looking welds Jen. Using just a FCAW E71T1 type filler with CO2 or C25? Just curious for some future welding on this AR 500 plate I got some of.

Sent at the expense of a phone bill.
I was able to get away with 75/25 and 70-6 0.035 wire.. Just be sure and crater fill.. I your running 1/2" plate it gets more tricky and preheat helps a ton.. 3 years ago I welded some 1/2 targets to new bases and they were AR500 and I tigged them.. I ended up with a crack on one of them in the seam.. I haven't had any return yet.

MIG is a better way to go vs TIG.. I do have some 0.045 dual shield I had forgotten about.. Maybe I'll try that stuff today.. Clean up time is icky time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy_Acres View Post
Very nice work, if you where local, Id be bringing you a bucket too ! I need a bottom on mine or a new bucket, too much poo for too many years.
Sure Bring it on over..
It's amazing how these things rot out.. The guy wanted a better wear resistant bucket.. Only thing is the AR plate will rust faster than 1018 plate..

Not sure if you could tell from the pictures but the original HAZ zone had more rust than the rest of the bucket.. I had a few burn thru's which I had to go backover to thicken up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Excellent repair I have done many of those jobs and braces are your friend. Wouldn't your tractor flip it over?
Tanks, It is amazing how many stressers develop over a period of use and when you cut out that last little piece all of a sudden you have origami instead of the straight walls you were cutting on...

Snoop will barely lift it up with the old material in it.. The spacing on the QC mounts are wide so no lock function so can't tip it enough to get to the bottom..

Snoop moved it around but the new materal will add maybe another 75lbs..

Even with my extra winter weight I put on and with a 7ft long pipe stuck in the top I couldn't get it to flip up enough to balance it.. it just kept flopping back down.. I asked the guy to send over a few workers today to flip it..

I'd rather not have to weld the wear bars on upside down.. I'm still pretty beat from yesterday..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon man View Post
Nice job. I've rebuilt quite a few on my own equipment over the years. Put new cutting edges on the loader last year, and hoping they outlast me. Mike
It's funny how that seems to be the theme when it comes to rebuilding buckets.. Build it solid enough it won't ever have to be done again..

Wish I could just build new buckets sold as lifetimers.. Use heavier materials and then hard face all the usual wear spots. To bad they would be to expensive to sell..

Different when you make stuff for yourself..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"

Old 04-23-2015, 06:03 AM
7-26-1965 to 6-5-2022

Nice work, Jenn. For moving/ flipping stuff the engine crane has become my friend. For your landscape, I would swap out the factory casters for 6" ones.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:40 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper Greg View Post
Nice work, Jenn. For moving/ flipping stuff the engine crane has become my friend. For your landscape, I would swap out the factory casters for 6" ones.

Like your thinking.. But once the new shop is up I'll be figuring something out then.. No more mud, no more nasty sand and dirt all over everything and someone to work outside the weather..

I might just stick in on the lift and do it there.. Maybe the easiest thing do to for now.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"

Old 04-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Jenn, Nice work.
I did a snow bucket fix last winter in the owners shop (his welder passed away) and he wanted heavier bottom plate as it was bowing down from loading trucks. I talked him into a double wall bottom with 1/2" X 4" reinforcement bars between the plates. No time to take pictures of it, as he needed it for a job on Monday and this was Thursday. We had a little trouble getting two 4 X 12 X 3/16" plates but he managed it.
I braced up the bucket and cut the old worn out plate out and than adjusted the bracing to correct the width of the bucket. He had adjustable braces his father had built. 2-1/2" square tube with jackscrews so you could push the sides where you needed them to be. I was grinding on the bucket outside when he got back with the plates and material.
We finished the bucket on Sunday afternoon, we added a bolt on cutting edge and he was loading the bucket on his trailer when I left.
The bucket was bought for a big Cat wheel loader, He said that the bucket worked very well now compared to when it was new. No flexing when loaded and you could actually scrape with it.
We positioned the bucket with a 320 Cat excavator. I was tried of running the ESAB dual shield .045 wire by the time the welding was done. I also cut drain holes in the bottom plates to prevent water from building in cavities and ruining the bucket. He is going to have the bucket sandblasted and painted this summer. The bucket is much heavier but when full of snow it is still under the max capacity of the loader.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank