Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 08-17-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Finally!!!!!

Well after waiting 3 months for my compressor pump from Harbor Freight. It finally showed up. And this thing is HUGE. So after guessing belt size and getting it totally wrong. I think I have that part licked. Also a swap of the motor pully was called for. Got that done too. Now to fabricate a good mount and how to plumb this thing. Would flexible copper be strong enough or should I plumb it in steel pipe. I see Puma uses what looks like soft copper pipe. The outlet is 3/4 pipe thread. Which will have to be brought down to 1/2 at least and a tee inline for the bleed off valve. Any thoughts? I'll get some pics soon as I get home from work. Thanks
Ken
Old 08-17-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Pictures

Here are pictures of the new pump, old pump, old connections and tank connection. For those waiting on some idea of what I am trying to do.
Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	5874  
Old 08-17-2005, 05:04 PM

And the new pump.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	newpump.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	5875  
Old 08-17-2005, 05:05 PM

And Old connections.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oldconnections.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	5876  
Old 08-17-2005, 05:06 PM

Tank Connection.
Any Ideas are appreciated.
Ken
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tankconection.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	5877  
Old 08-17-2005, 10:53 PM

Just trying to keep this active.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:11 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Ken, I am still trying to figure out what you're wanting to do. Are you going to pumping up a higher pressure than with the old pump? Or what? If not, then why not use soft tubing? I think every compressor I have owned the last 15 years gets by with it. I just went out to look & be sure; both the Emglo that I've owned since about 1990 is plumbed with soft & so is the 80 gallon 2 stage CH and the tank on it is rated for 200psi. As an old favorite schoolteacher always said, "it may not be right but it sure is so."
And I gather that you mean you're having to fab up a longer base to mount it on? What is the problem you're having to overcome there?

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 08-17-2005, 11:20 PM

Cutter
Sorry , yes I will have to fab a longer base, and a bit narrower. I guess my main question is the size difference. The old pump as you can see from the old connections photo used 5/16? The new pump outlet is 3/4. I guess it's the cobble together reducers and such to get it to the right size. Sometimes problems just seem a bit overwhelming to me. Hence the need to run it past someone. I do really appreciate the input.
Ken.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:55 PM
Trailers for sale or rent

By trying to reduce the line from 3/4" to 5/16" you are going to work the snot out of that compressor. That compressor head is designed to move a certain amount of air to the tank, that's why it has the 3/4" fittings on it. Instead of the unit being loaded to max at the end of the recharge cycle you are going to overload it from the start. What is your motor rated at? If it the original motor it is probably on it's last legs to start with, using it to run an oversized head and then throwing the extra load of pumping air through that restriction is goint to burn it up in short order. I don't know if you are going to get any run time at all before it overloads. You would probably be better off sending the head back and ugrading the whole mess.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:01 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Ok, I went back through the pictures again; let me see if we got this straight: your old pump was a vertical twin, single stage? And the new one is a V-twin, 2 stage? (guessing from the intercooler between the heads).
Now the purpose of a 2 stage is generally to create a higher pressure, if I understand it correctly, so you should want to take care that you don't exceed your tank rating; in fact, I would be inclined to be pretty danged conservative about that if the tank is very old.
As to the tubing size, I couldn't really judge that at all from the pictures but I think my main concern there would be to keep the 5/8ths diameter as far as I could; are you certain the tank inlet is 5/16ths or has it been reduced previously to mate to the old pump's outlet?
It's a shame you have to choke it down at all, but I think the farther from the compressor head you can run the larger diameter, the better. I acknowledge that I may be silly saying that but you know, if you replace the water line across your yard with 1 inch instead of 3/4 inch pipe, you will have better pressure inside the house even though the house plumbing is 1/2 inch pipe. I am willing to stand corrected by anyone who can shoot down my facile argument, but that's just my take on it.
As to the plumbing of it, I can only say don't use teflon tape on the threads; get some RectorSeal or a comparable pipe dope.

Sigh, I just read bgott's post prior to releasing mine.
I had been thinking along the same lines & hated to say so. Double check your tank opening. I am having trouble accepting that it could be that small.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."