Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 08-06-2005, 06:42 PM
SFT Brewmaster

Default sand blaster

was just getting ready to start making one of these out of an 20# propane tank...working pressure will not exceed 100#.....anyone have thoughts on this
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...ctId=583&R=583

will hydro it to 250lbs when done

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it
---------------------------------------------------

Last edited by boilerman; 08-06-2005 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Curmudgeon

Thumbs down

umm hmmm, I have one. I'm so proud of it that I leave it out in the rain.
The only piece of it that is worth throwing away is the tank. The "gun" is the worst piece of junk to be billed as a "working tool" that I have ever seen, bar none. It uses a spring loaded roller to squeeze against a rubber tube as a valve. The threads on all of the parts are neither ASE or metric, as best I can tell. And the media gates are just junky ball-type shutoffs so they either jam half open or half shut about 50% of the time. If you want to build a knock-off that will work Boilerman, I recommend that you drop by HF & study that one as your example of precisely what NOT to do, then proceed in the opposite direction for every single component except possibly the tank. Even the paint sucks.
I bought mine to sandblast that old Delta bandsaw I restored 2 or 3 years ago and I fought it for the better part of a week. Then I picked up a little siphon-bucket type at a salvage store to finish the job. It is a far superior tool.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 08-06-2005, 08:12 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 7018

boilerman I built mine out of a propane tank,i used a 3/4 S.S.ball valve on the end of the blast hose.The tips I get a NAPA 3/32 out let whole.I used 1/2 air hose for the blast hose.The main thing you have to remember is to screen your sand,even the finest blasting sand will plug up the tip if you don't.Another good idea is to have a 3/32 welding rod with the flux knocked off to run into the tip when it plugs up....I've done alot of blasting with the little pot it works great....If you want I'll get some pics tomarrow nite and post them...But like cutter i leave mine out side not because I don't like it.just because....... I've got a job to do tomarrow so it will be in the evening if you want them.....
Old 08-06-2005, 08:22 PM
SFT Brewmaster

ok...score is tied 1 to 1....this will be made out of stuff i have ....yes i'm cheap and refuse to spend money , so with that said the nozzle will be pipe ...more than likely it will be 1/4 or 1/8 pipe nipple....the reason i think i need this ,beside the reason that a guy has have to have stuff is ...i noticed a bubble on the bed of my truck right above the rear tire ....so i figured i'll just wire wheel that and slap some paint on it ....well when i got done wire wheeling it i got a hole that i can put both fist through side by side ...so now i have a patch to put in before i bondo it ....just got to make it last 3 more years then another 5 after the 3 ...you know how it goes

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it
---------------------------------------------------
Old 08-06-2005, 08:23 PM
Duke of Rock

Send a message via Yahoo to Dallas B

Try Grainger. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/sea...h_type=keyword

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/pro...1768118&ccitem=

The time and money you spend on trying to build one it would be cheeper to go this way.

Last edited by Dallas B; 08-06-2005 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas B

The time and money you spend on trying to build one it would be cheeper to go this way.
Dallas, aren't you building the oil cooler using (or at least it would take me this long) about a gillion man-hours
Old 08-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Duke of Rock

Send a message via Yahoo to Dallas B

I knew If I posted this someone would bit me on the azz...But remember I am Retired...so all I I have to do Is Play with rocks and projects....But some times it is cheeper just to buy....lol.OUCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknoeber
Dallas, aren't you building the oil cooler using (or at least it would take me this long) about a gillion man-hours

Last edited by Dallas B; 08-08-2005 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:05 AM
caseydawg

I have one like the Northern , $89.00 at the travelin tool sale. I'm on my second one , plum wore out the first (5yrs) and when you look at the price of replacement sand hose , it's just cheaper to pick up another one and strip the old one for spare parts.

Ray
Old 08-08-2005, 05:15 AM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

I agree, a small one I would buy. I did make mie but one like it cost a lot more and it made sense, I made shop rates building it. I buy 1/8 XH pipe nipples 6 inches long and cut in half for nozzels.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:16 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

Here is a pic,,, my guy put some software on blocking the attatchment window, I need to fix it but this one is on my site. http://www.urkafarms.com/Welder_Pict...nd_blaster.JPG