Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 12-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Lord of the Minions

Default Screw Grab, in liquid applicator

For years I had to use things like thinned valve grinding compound, but somewhere along in the late 90's I came across a product called Screw Grab.

For it's intended use I might not follow prescribed norms as I use it for those fasteners past experience tells me that no matter how crisp the fit of the screw driver is (mostly philips), after several turns the pocket of the screw might sustain wear and thus leave you with a philips screw that no screw driver you have will turn it out.

So......for those screws like I run across in the aviation world mostly, I'll grap my little plastic dispenser of Screw Grab, add a dab to the pocket of the philips screw and then begin the task of unscrewing.

If you listen closely, you can actually hear crisp snap crackles and pops of the media in the paste crushing/making contact with the drivers blades and screw.

This stuff does work well.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Elite Member

Looks neat. Might have to get a bottle.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:49 AM

Nice! I will have to pick up a bottle as well. Thanks Hiway!
Old 12-27-2013, 08:10 AM

Thanks Hiway,

I'll have to look for a bottle. I have kept a tube of valve grinding compound in my tool boxes for several years for the same purpose.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Lord of the Minions

I have to be honest here, the memory only kicked in a few minutes ago.

Before I found "Screw Grab" I was relegated to using the Clover Valve Grinding compound cans. Before that I happened to find at Sears on the shelf a product called "Grip Doctor" or "Screw Doctor".

I only bought one bottle of it and over the years I used it all up. Sears of course stopped selling it somewhere during the early 90's from what I've been told.

Not knowing exactly what is in the "Screw Grab" mix, whatever is used for the particular rough grit is tenacious and almost sounds like glass being ground once the philips hits the pocket of the screw.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Director: Apprentice Gatekeeper

Any idea how big a bottle those are on their site and how far the stuff goes per use? I'm sure it'd be no big deal to buy two or three bottles seeing as how it claims to not have any shelf life limitations, but if a little goes a long way, no need to have it sitting on the shelf if it doesn't have to.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 12-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Gold Star Dad

So what's the difference between this and some valve grinding compound? Or a bit of grit that accumulates behind the 6" bench grinder wheel with a bit of spit or hair gel or whatever to get it to stick? If you're just screwing around, K-Y Jelly seems like the perfect medium.

If the grit is Silicon carbide, it is brittle but sharp and wear resistant. Aluminum oxide is tougher, but less wear resistant. Seems that either would do. Pixie dust.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:11 PM

Ordered a couple of bottles this evening, so will let y'all know how it goes. But, I am hoping that the curse of the stripped screw has been lifted with the simple expenditure. Every annual on the Mooney means what it seems like a thousand screws must be removed and invariably there are two or three stubborn ones. Maybe this will help 'cause I hate having to drill out the 8-32 or 10-32 stainless screws while lying on my back on the concrete (too low for a creeper)...I am too old for this anymore

Richard
Old 12-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
So what's the difference between this and some valve grinding compound?
Those of us that have to depend on being able to remove 40 to 100 screws on every large panel found on the exterior of the aircraft find it helpful to not have several dozen out of a few thousand screws screwed up while in work.

For smaller philips screws things get a little more critical in the same ways and having to fight a bad pocket means more time not allowed for on the work document.

Can you use any fine grit and suitable suspension media like jell or ky, sure, but if it's my production per hour at stake, I want the most bang for the minute.

Quote:
Every annual on the Mooney means what it seems like a thousand screws must be removed and invariably there are two or three stubborn ones.
I cannot remember exactly how many screws on the 16 large exterior panels found on the two horizontal stabilizers found on an E8C, but lets say 1000 plus 3/16" and a dozen or so 1/4" philips screws, all csk philips.

Add a topcoat or two primary color and at least one coat of primer under that and you end up with a severly packed pocket.

The pneumatic nut/screw runner has two functions available. 1 it has an impact feature like a hammer drill and can be set to work along with forward or reverse turning of the runner.

Pulling the trigger slightly allows the hammer to drive the impact into the pocket and pulling the trigger farther begins the rotation.

Using the Screw Grab along with the impact screw runner negates the need to stop and set up a screw knocker on a rivet gun etc etc.

If I end up having to cut a slot on one csk screw rather than having to do so on 20, I'll go with any shortcut I can find that works.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
'cause I hate having to drill out the 8-32 or 10-32 stainless screws while lying on my back on the concrete (too low for a creeper)...
Put taller gear?

I do not know for sure exactly what is being used, but on all exterior panels on flight surfaces etc on AWACs aircraft that are in the slip stream of flight, these screws are installed with what looks like a simple coating of what we refer to as pudding grease pr commonly refered to as 'butter lube' grease, forgetting what the MIL spec etc is.

It does keep moisture off threads etc, but have no idea whether it alters the thread torque limits above the max etc etc. I've only seen it used on these panels on the AWACs birds from the UK FWIW.

Last edited by LW Hiway; 12-28-2013 at 01:32 PM.