Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 09-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Gadget Girl

Default Quick attach for Snoop Kubota

Well, here is my current thinking and looking for advise..

I recently started to look at options for plowing stuff with Snoop and decided that the best way to go is with a skid steer quick attach system..

I then contacted my farmer friend and he confirmed it would be the best way to go since I could then use other implements.

So, the was to get the QC Attachement plate and then weld this to the bucket and the plow blade I started making which will be in another thread once it's completed..

Turns out the Attachement plate is 1/4" steel and is pretty heavy in it's own right so I am looking at using this attachement plate to use as the bucket back and make a new bucket.. The stock bucket is made from 3/16".

I realize as per our other discussions here that each pound I add to the front of the tractor/ FEL the less capacity it has and the more wear and tear incurred.

The bucket is about 17" deep from the bottom..

The plate is longer than I will need so it will have to be cut down..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130921_185949.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	109670   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130921_185954.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	109671   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130921_185734.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	109672   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130921_185740.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	109673   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130921_185804.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	109674  

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.

https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...860#post766860
Old 09-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Gadget Girl

basically just a few more measurments..

So, the question is do I just cut up some 3/16th to a particular pattern like a skid steer bucket?

What are the ideas behind the different buckets out there?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20130921_185810.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	109675   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130921_164906.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	109676  

My google+ page

DoALL 36"

Old 09-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

Location: Northwest Illinois,.. the land of Fat Greasy Pancakes

If your looking for a bucket from a skid loader, you will want a "GP" or general purpose, and off a smaller machine, but one that is still on the same "standard" as all the others, I cant remember what year they all got on the same "quick-tatch". IIRC, it was the early 1990s ?

Caveat, if you do overload the front end, axle damage is a possibility. While I have not witnessed it first hand, Ive read about it. Usually involves a load, and an adbrupt "bump".

I have a compact JD790 4x4, with no FEL, I bought it that way, I didnt want an FEL on a compact due to their "weakness", before that it was a Ford 1100 that I removed the FEL from for the same reason, so Id be conservative on the shovel size. Either that, use it "lightly" (when loaded heavy and traveling), or at least be aware of the possibility.

BTW, more nice work !
Old 09-21-2013, 07:35 PM
That Man Behind The Curtain

Thumbs up

Jenn

what is your track width??

standard Quick Tach is 44.75 inches wide..

here is a build thread you might find helpful..

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...ck-attach.html

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)
Old 09-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Urban Gunfighter

part of the bucket design is overall weight, geometry to be compatible with the loader so that you get dump and roll back angles, and also geometry so that when the loader arms are all the way down and the bucket level, you have "digging depth". To be honest, I'd almost look at the possibility of duplicating the top lip and bottom receiver of the quick attach plate and see if you can duplicate them right on the back of the existing bucket. And for the size of your kubota, try not to over build the loader side quick attach. Every pound you add to the end of those arms, is a pound you can't lift of cargo. The dimensions are critical for using commercially available implements, but you don't need to build the bucket so heavy that a tracked skid steer can't tear it up, since your kubota doesn't have the "oomph" the skid steer does.
As far as damaging the front axle, the loader circuit already has this built into the lift and curl relief settings, unless someone has "tuned" them... Unless changed, you will only be able to generate the same amount of lift by the cylinders as you already had before.

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 09-21-2013, 09:19 PM

Thumbs up

This conversion is kinda pricy...

But the pics might provide some build ideas to someone who is handy and has a welder...

http://www.everythingattachments.com...ick-attach.htm

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)
Old 09-22-2013, 06:31 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy_Acres View Post
If your looking for a bucket from a skid loader, you will want a "GP" or general purpose, and off a smaller machine, but one that is still on the same "standard" as all the others, I cant remember what year they all got on the same "quick-tatch". IIRC, it was the early 1990s ?

Caveat, if you do overload the front end, axle damage is a possibility. While I have not witnessed it first hand, Ive read about it. Usually involves a load, and an adbrupt "bump".

I have a compact JD790 4x4, with no FEL, I bought it that way, I didnt want an FEL on a compact due to their "weakness", before that it was a Ford 1100 that I removed the FEL from for the same reason, so Id be conservative on the shovel size. Either that, use it "lightly" (when loaded heavy and traveling), or at least be aware of the possibility.

BTW, more nice work !
I doubt I will ever use skid steer implements but my farmer friend said if at some point I get a skid steer (which for the size has incredible lift power) then I could work the other way around...

He also pointed out that they make mini skid steers which might offer some attachments that might work..

I've been warned about over loading the bucket..

It will lift about 500lbs of mulch but I am to uncomfortable to move it with the bucket off the ground since I don't have wheel weights and took off the ballast bucket.. In some regards I think it's better for the tractor because it helps me to stay afraid of moving overly heavy bucket fulls..

If I do put a really heavy load of mulch in I usually put the FEL in float and then just drag it on the ground until I get to where I am going to dump it..

What I am calling mulch is vintage horse poop composted but usually pretty have from moisture.. Snoop has worked really well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H80N View Post
Jenn

what is your track width??

standard Quick Tach is 44.75 inches wide..

here is a build thread you might find helpful..

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...ck-attach.html
standard track width is maybe 3" narrower than the bucket.. Snoop really is a small tractor Amazingly powerful, almost more powerful than he should be as he won't stop chugging along even when over worked..

I think I can, I think I can..

Thanks for posting up the QC measurements.. Turns out it is wider than the bucket on Snoop so will have to be cut down some..

Makes me wonder how small or narrow I can go before the QC will no longer work with Skid steers smaller attachments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumly2071 View Post
part of the bucket design is overall weight, geometry to be compatible with the loader so that you get dump and roll back angles, and also geometry so that when the loader arms are all the way down and the bucket level, you have "digging depth". To be honest, I'd almost look at the possibility of duplicating the top lip and bottom receiver of the quick attach plate and see if you can duplicate them right on the back of the existing bucket. And for the size of your kubota, try not to over build the loader side quick attach. Every pound you add to the end of those arms, is a pound you can't lift of cargo. The dimensions are critical for using commercially available implements, but you don't need to build the bucket so heavy that a tracked skid steer can't tear it up, since your kubota doesn't have the "oomph" the skid steer does.
As far as damaging the front axle, the loader circuit already has this built into the lift and curl relief settings, unless someone has "tuned" them... Unless changed, you will only be able to generate the same amount of lift by the cylinders as you already had before.
I have seen some skid steer buckets that were longer but not as tall.. I was just thinking there might be some angular designed ones that would be easier for me to build as they would be a cut and weld design vs rolled sheet like I have now..

I was thinking I would like to have a little more tilt upward of the front edge of the bucket since I use it down near the ground so often..

I was thinking that I would try to maintain the same pivot point's as what is on the bucket now.

As for building a new bucket I was also thinking that maybe I should " SAVE" the original vs modify it since it is stock..

do you have any ideas for the QC mounts? I was planning on matching what the bucket has for pivots and dimensions on the mounts but then I also realize I will need to tie the 2 sides together.. As you can see from the pictures they are separate..

Also I was thinking of maybe cutting out a portion of the attachment plate and putting in expanded metal to make it even lighter..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20130921_164906.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	109690  

My google+ page

DoALL 36"

Old 09-22-2013, 06:34 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by H80N View Post
This conversion is kinda pricy...

But the pics might provide some build ideas to someone who is handy and has a welder...

http://www.everythingattachments.com...ick-attach.htm

Hi, I have the attachment QC all ready.. If you look at the picture they are laying on the top... I should have taken separate pictures of these maybe..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"

Old 09-22-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
Hi, I have the attachment QC all ready.. If you look at the picture they are laying on the top... I should have taken separate pictures of these maybe..
Sorry... don't know how I missed that...

Old 09-22-2013, 09:11 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Jenn, I will see if I can scan and send you a clean copy of the bucket designs for the cadtrac, it is built from plates or sheet that has been bent to form the shell.
Look for my PM.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank