Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 09-18-2013, 11:14 AM

Default new grouser bars on hi-lift

I cut and welded on some new grouser bars on the old hi-lift. The bars come in 10 foot lengths and I had to cut them in to 14 inch pieces. There are 39 pads on each track and I was putting 2 new bars on each one. 156 bars to cut for the 2 sides. I cut them 20 at a time. Notice in the pictures they threw magnetic chips? After cutting all the bars the blade was getting dull.
I welded them on with mig .045 wire. I started with flux core wire and a tarp for a wind shield. After a while it was the heck with the wind break and the flux core and wire brushing the dirt. It took about 12 hours a side. I would do a couple over the front idler, then a couple over the sprocket. Climb on the machine and move the track up. Leaving the machine run meant vibration was causing weld problems too. This is a farm machine and I needed it so it was more of a just git er done.

Willy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grouser bars set up to cut.jpg
Views:	991
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	109605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bars cut.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	109606   Click image for larger version

Name:	welding.jpg
Views:	1148
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	109607   Click image for larger version

Name:	done.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	109608  
Old 09-18-2013, 11:22 AM

Looks good Willy. I can't understand the wind bothering flux core unless it was dual shield. The few times I've used true flux core, it was about like using an endless stick rod.

Now that the grousers are good, you can start noticing how worn the steering clutches and brakes are. It never ends (chuckle).

“The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity” Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Nice job. I've done that many a time--although not for quite a while--and it can get real boring. I don't like real repetitive stuff.

How do you like your Ellis bandsaw? We love ours...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 09-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Banned

Looks good....had I known where your at, I would have swung by
for a couple hours, the job would go faster with 2 welding.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabberMcGee View Post
Looks good Willy. I can't understand the wind bothering flux core unless it was dual shield. The few times I've used true flux core, it was about like using an endless stick rod.

Now that the grousers are good, you can start noticing how worn the steering clutches and brakes are. It never ends (chuckle).

I had a partial spool of dual shield. Once that was gone I switched over to the only other spool of .045 I had. Most everything I do is with .035.
I know what you mean about never getting done. This was actually finishing up a "new" used undercarriage.

I had a good welder friend in North Pole. He worked at the power plant. I have not talked to him in 10 years so I don't even know if he is still with us. He was retiring the last I talked to him.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Nice job. I've done that many a time--although not for quite a while--and it can get real boring. I don't like real repetitive stuff.

How do you like your Ellis bandsaw? We love ours...
I wanted to quit after doing one side but didn't want to start making circles.

I too love the bandsaw. It is a model 3000 which is a nice size. I have an air vise on it which is real nice but you got to watch where your fingers are.

Willy
Old 09-18-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
Looks good....had I known where your at, I would have swung by
for a couple hours, the job would go faster with 2 welding.
Jeez, thanks for the offer. I am in SW PA down near the border.

Willy
Old 09-18-2013, 07:25 PM
The Real Deal

Nice job! The last bars that I welded where on a D-8 Cat and that was before the company had any wire feeds. I used two machines one with 1/4" 7018 and the other with 3/16" 7018. I would start the 1/4" first on the left then the 3/16" on the right and meet somewhere past the center. When the rods got close together all hell broke loose with the ark and I would have to drop the 3/16 rod. It still took forever. I don't think it is done much anymore because of the cost of labor.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:25 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Digr, I heard of it being done around here, as long as the track pad thickness is still good.
I helped out a welder once doing it.
I cut grouser bar with a cutting torch and ground the top of the grouser on a old D-8 dozer, it had been run in a shale pit for years and the grousers were worn almost smooth. New bolts and the grouser bar were cheaper then replacing all the pads on it.
I made a jig to guide the torch tip as the welder wanted a 45° cut on the ends of the bars. It took four days to take the pads off, cut the grouser bars, grind the top of the old grouser, weld on the new one, then put the rebuilt pad back the rail with new bolts.
The owner said that the cost of new pads would have been twice what it cost to rebuild them. The dozer pushed one heck of a lot better once it was put back into service. No more shale pit for it, it spends it days pushing bank gravel up onto the stock pile for their crushing plant.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 09-19-2013, 04:55 AM

In the case of this machine new track parts are no longer available. In fact, used parts are pretty rare, and expensive. It was either try to fix it, or redrill the track frame for Cat D-4 rollers etc and convert it.

Willy