Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 08-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Drivin' Fool

Default Jerry can rack

The last couple of days I have been knocking together a rack to hold my 20l Wedco diesel fuel jugs in the back of my truck. I carry these when taking a longer than usual trip with the fifth wheel, and up to now have been running a cable through the jug handles and locking it to the loop on the front inside corner of the truck box. This has proven over the last five years to be a pain in the lower back, a damn nuisance to get at the lock, and generally not the best solution for securing the jugs from some SOB who thinks he needs my fuel more than I do.
I didn't bother taking any pictures of the glacially slow progress of my project; nobody wants to see some fat old guy sitting around pondering on just how he is going to go about something. I started with a general idea of what I wanted after looking at several commercially available racks (and usually grossly over priced; one particular offering for a single can was $129 U.S.), and went from there.
As usual, the design changed as I got into the project. As the basic bottom frame came into being, the rest of it started coming to mind, and before long, I had the final version sitting on my bench with most of a coat of that stuff cutter hates drying in the heat (no pictures of that patina destroying chemical surface coating will be shown out of respect for Rod's feelings).
Pictures to follow.
Pic one: The components as finished, and before applying any rust preventative. Also shows the jugs, the shape of which made this process more complicated that was anticipated i.e. they taper from bottom to top.
Pic 2: Top view with jugs and locking mechanism in place. I had hoped that the 3" wide flat bar on the top of the jugs would be sufficient, but the jug could be tipped to the side enough to remove it without opening the lock hence the need for the curved bar keeping the handles from being moved outward. Works quite well.
Pic 3: Side view of completed rack.
Pic 4: Preventing the caps from being removed and siphon hose inserted.
Pic 5: closer look at locking mechanism with lock out of the way.

I may or may not make some kind of locking loop to secure the rack to the truck; with the jugs full, there is in excess of 80 pounds of rack/jug/fuel here, so it would be rather awkward to abscond with the whole thing in a hurry. Unless I have the trailer hitched to the truck, my box cover is in place, and not very much is obviously in the bed to excite the curiosity of some light fingered clown. The only thing that telegraphs through is the fuel cap for my generator, and that is secured with a cable.
Total cost for this is about $35 Canadian, give or take a couple bucks, so won't put me into the poor house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jerry can rack1.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	108768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jerry can rack2.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	108769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jerry can rack3.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	108770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jerry can rack4.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	108771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jerry can rack5.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	108772  

Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 08-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramd View Post
I didn't bother taking any pictures of the glacially slow progress of my project; nobody wants to see some fat old guy sitting around pondering on just how he is going to go about something.
Of course we want to see an old fat guy sitting. How else are we gonna get the chance to heckle?
Actually your first picture set me back and made me think you are a serious thinker outer.
I often hack, tack, and grind with little more than a general idea. I find the well thought out prospects I do have at least one glaring error, and require some re-jigging.

BTW, 80 lb is a bit for us guys, but a 20 yr old is able to do that with not even thinking about it.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.
“The word ‘racism’ is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything — and demanding evidence makes you a ‘racist’.”
Thomas Sowell
Old 08-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramd View Post
...nobody wants to see some fat old guy sitting around pondering on just how he is going to go about something...
Oh yeah? I would love to see a pic...

Nice project, by the way...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:23 PM
Auction Addict

As Madam would say, NICE RACK!!!

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated
Old 08-23-2013, 10:36 PM
Co-founder, Harbor Freight 12 Step Program

If I want to see an old fat guy pondering, I just use a mirror

"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. They can keep the change."
Old 08-23-2013, 11:31 PM
Post Fiend

Nice rack!!!!!

Excellent execution. I would LOVE to have a couple fuel cans like those. All we can get now are the Eco Nazi approved BS cans. I've taken to using rotella buckets for fuel.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:12 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
Nice rack!!!!!

Excellent execution. I would LOVE to have a couple fuel cans like those. All we can get now are the Eco Nazi approved BS cans. I've taken to using rotella buckets for fuel.
Are the Eco Nazi approved BS cans those ones without vents that puff up in the sun?

If so, here is the cure.
Measure the hole in a rim where the tubeless tire valve goes, 9/16" IRRC.
Then drill the same size hole in the Eco can at the spot you want a vent.
Take out the valve from a tubeless valve stem, and run a wire through your new hole and out the spout to the valve stem and attach.
Pull the wire through to grab the valve, and use the proper tire tool to snap the valve stem in place.
You have now removed the green stuff. Use the valve cap to vent as needed.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.
“The word ‘racism’ is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything — and demanding evidence makes you a ‘racist’.”
Thomas Sowell
Old 08-24-2013, 09:26 AM
Drivin' Fool

Thanks for the nods of approval on this project;they mean a lot coming from the members of this forum.
I had some general thoughts on how I was going to do this when I started. In fact I bent up some 1 1/4" flat to start with, realized it wasn't going to turn out well, and got some different steel the next day (1 1/4 angle and 2" flat) and started over.
I really did design on the fly. Once the bottom frame was tacked together, the jugs went in and the mental process started turning various things over until I came up with what I had the material for and what would actually work. I have better luck making something from looking and trying than I do from designing something on paper, then cutting and welding (unlike a friend who recently made a belt grinder from about 10 pages of detailed drawings he made up first).
I know that 80 pounds for a young guy would not pose much of a problem.............it sure didn't for me 40 years back, but I think this thing with 2 full jerry cans in it would be fairly awkward to lug around. I will try it when I have everything done to it, and see just how it is to lug around (I can still lift a lot more than 80 pounds. I just don't do it without thinking of better ways to do it now).
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 08-24-2013, 10:27 AM
That HURT!

+1 on the nice rack.
+1 on using a mirror to see a fat guy pondering.

Nice vent solution for the kalfornia kans Gerry.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Elite Member

I read the heading and figured Gerry was playing pool.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!