Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-02-2013, 05:34 AM

Default Building a little welding cart/table

So I reacently got a Hobart 210 handler and it needs a home and I need a small area to weld on. I found a Porta Mate base on CL for $10 that's pretty much brand new. That was exactly what I wanted something that can roll around and also be stationary by pulling the wheels up. I was going to build one but I found this. I would of built my wheel lowering/raising device a bit more sturdy that what's on here but ill see what happens with this one.

I lost a large majority of my tools so I started over from scratch. I have most of the small stuff now I need to get some bigger stuff. I cut all of the metal for this with a hacksaw and file it. I'm not quite sure if I even like this stand yet. If I end up hating it ill just turn it into something else. Lol.

Pic number one: cutting the metal with a hacksaw in a drill press vice that's clamped to a tractor ballast. It's 2013 I shouldn't have to work like this. Lol.

I'll post more pics later when I have more done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2139.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	105135   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2124.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	105136   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2126.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	105137   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2127.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	105138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2128.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	105139  

Old 05-02-2013, 05:38 AM

Default more pics

I already stained the boards and put clear coat on them. I'll get more pics later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG2138.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	105140   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2140.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	105141  
Old 05-02-2013, 06:10 AM
Gadget Girl

Nice work.

I have to confess.. I love hand tools.. But, if trying to make a living or the need to expedite has forced me into the Electric is a good thing..

I'll be looking forwards to how it comes out..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:59 PM

Nice work. I admire you for working with what you have.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
Nice work.

I have to confess.. I love hand tools.. But, if trying to make a living or the need to expedite has forced me into the Electric is a good thing..

I'll be looking forwards to how it comes out..
Thank you Jen Well I like hand tools but would much rather use electric I just don't have them right now. I had two major bad things happen to my garage and lost everything. Grrrr. Thank you justgurn I appreciate your admiration. I didn't get much done got the top pieces all welded up and the boards to go back in but the still need leveled out a bit.

So I've been contemplating on how I want to hold my bottle. I was thinking of buying a piece of 6.5" pipe (my 80cuft bottle is 6.6" and the 125 if 6.8") about a foot or two long and slicing it up each side put a hinge on one side and a pinch bolt on the other. That seems like a lot of work to do with a hacksaw. I was also thinking about using like 2or3 of those big stainless steel band clamps (big hose clamps) find a little concave piece for the bottle to sit in and securing it that way. I think they would hold. Anybody have any objections to this??? I made this little stand to hold the bottles in the second pic but I really don't like it. Like I said before I really don't know if I even like the cart at all lol it was just cheap lol. Thanks guys and girls
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG2144.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	105172   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2146.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	105173  

Last edited by BurningMetal; 05-03-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:40 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningMetal View Post
Thank you Jen Well I like hand tools but would much rather use electric I just don't have them right now. I had two major bad things happen to my garage and lost everything. Grrrr. Thank you justgurn I appreciate your admiration. I didn't get much done got the top pieces all welded up and the boards to go back in but the still need leveled out a bit.

So I've been contemplating on how I want to hold my bottle. I was thinking of buying a piece of 6.5" pipe (my 80cuft bottle is 6.6" and the 125 if 6.8") about a foot or two long and slicing it up each side put a hinge on one side and a pinch bolt on the other. That seems like a lot of work to do with a hacksaw. I was also thinking about using like 2or3 of those big stainless steel band clamps (big hose clamps) find a little concave piece for the bottle to sit in and securing it that way. I think they would hold. Anybody have any objections to this??? I made this little stand to hold the bottles in the second pic but I really don't like it. Like I said before I really don't know if I even like the cart at all lol it was just cheap lol. Thanks guys and girls
Me being a big fan of harder work than need be. I really like the idea of the pinch clamp..

But, if just going down and dirty the large hose clamps will work just fine and or even the racheting nylon ones.

I just use chain on the A/O cart..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:19 AM

I attached my bottle by putting two eyebolts thru the top piece of angle and putting a chain around it and tighten it with a turnbuckle. Your clamps will work also.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:29 AM
Cranky Crustacean

Nice fitting of the angle iron... hand tools aren't so bad--just slower than power tools not to mention the sweat equity involved Hack saws are sometimes the only way & we've all used them. I had to use one on a project several weeks ago simply because it was the best tool to use. No shame in a hand operated tool.... At least you can claim "handmade" LOL

As far as the base.... If it'll hold up to the weight it's subjected to I don't see any issues there. I repurpose anything & everything to suit my needs (now if I can just reclaim enough floor area to utilize any of them I'll be OK !)
Old 05-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Elite Member

Those sure are accurate miter cuts. Makin do with what you have, I feel for you, I just found my hacksaws again last month.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:31 PM

Hand tools give you time to contemplate the next move while still moving forward on the current segment. Nice work.

Flat bar would make your pinch clamp with a lot less sawing than pipe and cost less at the same time. 1/8 x 1 or 1.5 could easily be formed around your bottles.

“The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity” Abraham Lincoln