Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 04-11-2013, 08:30 PM
That HURT!

Default Diesel fuel injector tester

OK, I spent a bunch of time writing this up the other day and then my puter crashed big time and I had to take it to the puter doc to get fixed and I finally got it back so here is my second attempt at this.

If you have seen my Suzuki thread then you konw that I have had an issue with an injector. Well the injectoers are not really injectors but merely fuel nozzels as the pump does all the timing and fuel metering.

What I needed was a way to test the fuel nozzels spray pattern and the pressure at what they popped at. Since there are no injection shops within a reasonable distance, I decided to make my own tester, and this is how I did it.

I took a 3 ton bottle jack and completely disasembled it and cleaned all of the internal parts. I cut the piston about 2" from the seal end and drilled a 1/8" hole through it for the fluid to pass. Then I drilled the end of the piston 7/16" about 3/4" deep and tapped it to 1/4"NPT. I reassembled the jack and then welded the piston flush with the cap that held the jeck together so that the piston could not move , but the fluid could pass through the 1/8" hole that I drilled through the piston to the 1/4" NPT port.

Into that port I put a 1/4" close nipple followed by a tee. Into the top branch of the tee I put a 3000# gauge, and into the horizontal branch of the tee I put the adapter I made to accept the foel nozzle. I filled the jack with clean, filtered diesel fuel. I used a section of lexan cylinder that I salvaged from a sea strainer to surround the nozzle to protect myself from the fuel spray but still be able to observe the spary pattern on the nozzle being tested. Pump the handle on the jack and the pressure builds to the point where the nozzle "pops" and you can obcerve the spray pattern.

I wish I had taken pictures of the build but I did it on my lunch hour at work and didn't have a camera but it is so simple that I think anyone wanting to build one could do it from my lame description above. Its so simple and works like a charm. It was so easy for me to see why I had a fuel knock on my VW diesel.

These are the only pics I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	104286   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	104287   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	104288  
Old 04-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Maine-iac

Send a message via MSN to akabull

Mac,
If any thread on here is deserving of a video, I think it is this one. I would love to see it in action. This is a very interesting build, I have several old jacks lying around, I may have to build one just because I can
Old 04-11-2013, 08:45 PM

Man that's awesome!!! I'm going to steal that idea if that's OK? Great work.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Auction Addict

Yeah, a video would be great. I already saved the link to this post. I have a half dozen jacks and one of them will be used for this. It should also go into the Tips and Tricks stuff.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated
Old 04-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Auction Addict

Question, how many injectors can you test before you have to refill the jack?

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated
Old 04-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Post Fiend

Mack you need to build more of these and sell them on ebay. Lots 'o folks would love to be able to test their pop pressures and analyze their spray pattern but most pop testers are well out of reach of the driveway gang. I'll volunteer to test them out and give a biased and glowing review.

Couple of question, could you jack the piston all the way up, cut it off, drill it then put a washer under the pressure gauge to keep the ram from falling? If it would work it would at least save the welding.

How did you make the the fitting that screws into the nozzle? That is always the hard part coming up with the adapters.

What kind of range do they give for the VW nozzles? On most of the tips I've played with it's 500-600 psi.

Were you able to get a decent chatter from your nozzles?

Do you need my address for the Beta test unit?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Elite Member

Great idea.