Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Lord of the Minions

Default Gin Poles? On the back of a trailer? Really?

So just how many of you folk think gin poles on the back of a trailer will not work?

Film at eleven. Well, really, film at )4:30 03 22 03.

In particular, I speak of lift and load, transport, then lift up and un-load.

Lift and moving will come later. But the parts, swivels and tires/rims are there.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 03-20-2013, 04:17 PM
there has to be an answer

My guess is it will not work if they are on the BACK of the trailer. The poles will be at 90 degrees and the center of the load is only half on the trailer. Bad things might happen.

If the poles were 4 or 5 feet from the end of the trailer you could get it up and on without getting to the 90 degree danger point.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:35 PM

Agreed, poles at the back and axles way back there too. Having a big load hanging very far behind the axles might make some serious negative tongue weight.

Anxiously awaiting film at 11.... or any other time.

“The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity” Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Standard of Excellence

Place jack stands under the pivot points on the trailer.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Post Fiend

Well how long is a piece of string?

What kind of trailer, what kind of over hang behind the axle or axles? What is the weight of the item to be lifted?

A bottle jack under the tail of the trailer might help a bit too..........

Sent from my iPhone using SFT
Old 03-20-2013, 10:08 PM
Lord of the Minions

It works, but you won't be moving anywhere. It's for a stationary lift and then swinging the poles back over center to the trailer bed.

I picked up the post assy for my large Jib crane and backed the larger trailer under it.

Using two 8"x8" blocks in the center lower rear of the trailer kept things from drooping.

I've picked up and swung over several 250 and 350 + gallon propane tanks(empth) this way.

These were all done on the single axle 8'x10' trailer I made a few years ago.

What I'm putting the poles on now is the 12' dual axle trailer. I've added three extra channel from the rear tail angle underneath to the front lower angle of the bed.

Good thing I remembered how to weld overhead while laying on the ground.

The pole lower pivot point on the 12' trailer is 4' from the rear tail angle, just at the lower rear edge of the fenders. Extra width has been added to the side angles and uprights for the top rail etc.

Using a plumb string front to rear along the top rail before lift, picking up a known 1.5 ton, the top rail flex's 1/8" upward bow in the center over fairly over the axles. The 3k lbs lift was for a one time lift only to see what reaction the trailer would give.

Any more weight than 1 ton would be silly for what I need and would also as well just be plain stupid for what I want.

Using a winch, a few come-alongs is all that's needed to make life a little easier. Of course, having the forklift negates using this affair other than picking up the odd known weights like an empty tank or 13" SB lathe.

I have pictures of the poles on both the smaller trailer and this 12' trailer. Only, the other pics shows the Jib post and beam lifts.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 03-21-2013, 02:16 AM
Roving Reporter

If gin poles on the back of a trailer won't work for vertical lifts, then 2500 pulling units (aka well service rigs) in North America don't either.

They will not work well for transporting loads laterally very well, although I do recall a Russian made Gin pole type crane capable of 30 T. It was towed by a +/- 200 HP russian crawler and had an 8 line travelling block. About 32 tires, half of which were flat....

Gin poles on anything should have bumper block suspensions as opposed to sprung suspensions for obvious reasons....
Old 03-21-2013, 03:03 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Gin poles on anything should have bumper block suspensions
I always thought I'd get around to adding sq tubing to allow a 'slip down' leg on either side with a foot plate on it's bottom, but really the wooden blocks on each side work just great. Actually gives the thing more of a foot print.

This rigging has it's advantages, but it is not as spiffy as what PhotoMask put on his trailer. I'm thinking it was a hydraulic Auto Crane or something such. It sure looked good in the pictures mounted to that r/h fwd corner of that trailer.

But for an old guy, going somewhere to pick up a 'goodie' (free or not), this rig is the cats meow over fighting the laws of physics with grit and determination.

Adding another small 12 vlt winch or a fair sized hand crank winch for the cable to raise and lower the poles themselves once the upper apex is in place much like a gin pole truck is rigged, well, again, it will make things that much easier.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Elite Member

LW,

I have been know for my patience, but going on 10 years is a bit much for even me

"Film at eleven. Well, really, film at )4:30 03 22 03."

Really though, thanks for sharing
Old 03-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Lord of the Minions

I've got pics really. Just no time to post them.

Maybe after I take my shower.

Quote:
4:30 03 22 03
Oops, guess we missed it!