Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 06-10-2005, 10:37 PM

Default Horay I got my water cooled setup going!

I'm tickled pink, my homemade water chiller works great.

A little background: When I bought my welder the guy I bought it from kept the water cooled torch and let me have the air cooled one (WP-9). I think I burnt up the one that came with it putting together my welding bench. I should of stick welded it but I wanted the tig practice. I replaced the torch with a wp-9flex but was still tired of only being able to weld about 1" in anything sizable without having to stop to let the torch cool down. I had a red hot nozzle.

I decided I needed a water cooled torch and thought I needed a hand control to go with it. I got a CK230 with their hand control as they are about the only ones I could find that made a hand control for my old Linde. That was kind of spendy so while I was recovering from that I had to figure out how to cool the darn thing. No water in the shop yet, so I was going to have to build/buy a cooler. The new ones are around $600 and was out of my budget after the torch, the used ones for around $250-300 were tempting but I decided to put something together on my own.

I found a truck cab / sleeper heater core at the Lincoln swap meet for $15 and was started. Bought a little diaphragm pump at the local farm and home along with some fittings and hose and got a repacement radiator catch tank at the local O'reiley's for a tank for now.

Got it all together and it seems to work well. Grabbed some 1/8" filler rod and layed a couple beads on some 3/4" stock and the torch head is cool by the time the post flow was over. For some reason It seamed to start off better with this torch.

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow if anyone is interested in my cobbled up system. It needs some tuning as the pump has about 4x the capacity of the hose for the torch and cycles way too often. I probably need to set up a bypass vavle with a guage so I can set the pressure to 30psi and let the rest bypass the torch.

Don
Old 06-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Curmudgeon

Don, this bunch always like pictures - of anything - so post away.
And btw, we also have a little local custom of posting our locations in our user profiles so that it appears in every post, reply, whatever, as mine does here in the upper right hand corner.
To fill in your location, please do this:

Look at the header at the top of any page; there is a blue bar with white letters & the first one on the left side is "User CP". Click on that & it will take you straight to your control panel. On the left is a column of choices; click on "edit profile" then scroll down near the bottom to "additional information" and type in the "location" line (where you live). Scroll to the bottom & "save changes". That's all. No salesmen or preachers will call on you as a result. You don't even have to be that specific; if you live in Far Upper Western Rhode Island, then that's good enough.

And this message is not really directed just at you. Hopefully, other newer members will read it & also follow suite.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 06-10-2005, 11:14 PM

Cutter,

I apologize, I had thought I had already done it when I registered and guess I hadn't noticed that I was still living in limbo.

Thanks,

Don
Old 06-10-2005, 11:48 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_S
Cutter,

I apologize, I had thought I had already done it when I registered and guess I hadn't noticed that I was still living in limbo.

Thanks,

Don
Aww, you are quick! No apology needed; it is not a "requirement" or anything like that. We have just found that a lot of the time your posts mean more if we all know where you're coming from. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to call attention to the location line in the registration page so most guys fill in the birthday space & then ignore the rest.

Just Keep Walking

Old 06-11-2005, 10:13 AM

Here are some pics if anyone is interested.

Pic1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0897_web.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	4503  
Old 06-11-2005, 10:18 AM

Pic 2

Used it this morining to get my vice mount welded up. The water in the tank was pretty warm but the water coming out of the heat exchanger was cool.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0898_web.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	4504  
Old 06-11-2005, 10:26 AM
Curmudgeon

Looks good to me, Don. Appears like the best next step might be to convert that fan to an ac motor or rig a 12 volt power supply for it so you don't have to have a battery sitting around? How many amps does it draw at 12 volts?

Just Keep Walking

Old 06-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Banned

Don, does the fan blow or suck thru the coil? Sucking will give you superior coil performence.
Since yer just starting out, use either demineralized or distilled water in the system rather than drinking water, you'll avoid a lot of deposits in the system that way.
You also need to install a bypass valve like you mentioned. Don't get concerned about pressure, just set the bypass so you have sufficient water flow thru the torch to keep it cool. You may need a bigger tank. I've done coolers with freon cans and the stainless beverage cans from the generous folks at Pepsi, and they work well.
Since you have aluminum in the coil and brass in the torch, Dexcool will give you the best performence. Shade has gone into some detail on the site explaining Dexcool, damned if I recall the post though. It should show up with a search.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:27 PM

Cutter - it pulls just under 2 amps. I bought a 1.5 amp battery trickle charger to try to power it. It didn't work. It would run it if I got the fan running with my big charger. Just a quick touch at 6v worked. The thing would quit after about 10min. I am guessing themal overload or the charger is set up to charge and then check voltage. Might mount the charger on my log splitter when I get it built. (plug it in the night before for a fresh top off)

I have a 44 watt outdoor lighting power supply on order. I would imagine the fan may be a 24v but it seems to run fine on 12 and the power supply will probably have it at 15v or so if I read the faq on the manufacutures site correctly.

Don
Old 06-11-2005, 01:43 PM

Franz-

I have distilled water in it right now but the dexcool is interesting. You mean I can just run the 50/50 mix from the parts store? If so I have several gallons of that high dollar stuff around.

This is kind of a temporary setup. I do need a larger tank. I can get a 6 qt Flambeau tank at work but its pretty tall. Might just try to fab one out of aluminum now that I have a setup to take the heat of AC tig. The whole thing will get mounted on my new welder cart when I get it done.

The output water seems to stay pretty cool, but I am going to need some expansion room.

Right now it is set up to blow through the cooler. The only markings on the fan are the positive lead and some oem part numbers. When hooked as indicated it blows.

Don