Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 01-03-2012, 08:19 PM

Default Harborfreight Jib Crane

Yeh I know its a pickup bed hoist. But after I bolted it to my work bench, Ta Da! Its a shop jib crane! After surgery on L1-S1 i find I cant pick up diddly squat. I have the typical folding engine picker, but when it comes time to tear down a motor for overhaul, its a pain to use it to lift off heads,crankshafts, cuz the legs get in the way.
Soo of to HF i go for a late Christmas present for the shop.(On Sale)
Upon test assembly I see there is nothing for a thrust bearing. Only the top cap of the pivot assembly, bearing directly on the top or the edge of the uncapped mast. Workable but after lots of use i see it wearing right through the top cap, to say nothing of adding drag to any rotation of the jib.
After a little thought I welded a recessed plug into the top of the mast. Recessed just a little less than the height of a car front wheel bearing set I had laying around. The roller bearing sits upside down in the mast, the tapered outer race got tack welded to a large washer that is the same diameter as the sleeve of the pivot to keep it centered. When set on top of the mast, the bearing is kept centered by the outer race, located by the washer that the top cap now sits on. Now, the only metal to metal contact is the lower part of the rotating sleeve against the mast, well greased.
Top it all off by replacing the hand cranked winch, with a 2K lb ATV winch (also on sale at HF for 50 bucks (50% off))
Now I can winch heavy heads and crankshafts off motors and swing them over to my work bench.
My work bench BTW is 5 foot by 10 foot, inch and a quarter plate on legs, makes a great foundation and counter weight.(Brought it home for $300) Yep, I suck!
Pics added,, see post # 5 below, for more ramblings,,,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0490.jpg
Views:	1165
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	86021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0489.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	86022   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0492.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	86023   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0494.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	86024   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0491.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	86025  

Last edited by GAS; 01-03-2012 at 11:55 PM. Reason: speln,Cuz Hukd on foniks dint wurk fer me.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS View Post
Pics tomorrow.
That answered my only question.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 01-03-2012, 09:11 PM
I can dig it

I mounted one on my dually flat bed a couple years ago. I don't use it often, but when I do I'm glad to have it. I tossed around the idea of an ATV winch on it too, but my electrical would either need to be booster cable type leads that clip on for each use and coiled other wise, or about 35' long due to the bed being a dump.

I never did anything with the pivot point on mine, I don't use it enough for it to be a concern, beyond popping it off once a year or so and giving it a fresh shot of grease. Sounds like your upgrade is a good one though for anyone using them with any frequency like you are now.

Wonder how long til there's a second one go in your shop?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Boiler God

I wonder if its the same Harbor Freight unit, I installed on the back of the Franken-Mill?? Looking forward to the pictures
Old 01-03-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
I wonder if its the same Harbor Freight unit, I installed on the back of the Franken-Mill?? Looking forward to the pictures
Close, its the taller version, with hand cranked winch.

1. Installed and ready to work.
Can also see added pulley with hook to reduce travel speed. (by the blue paper towel roll)
2. Closer view of winch update, used one tapped whole for the front of the winch. Drilled and taped rear bolt hole. Box is the solenoid pack, with a plug in for a wireless remote control. If i can really order one, it will be one more thing to loose! The present switch, intended to be mounted on the handle bar of the wheeler is corded plenty long to use as a pendent for now

3. View of the outer race for the bearing, welded to lock washer for front wheel drive hub. The tabs, meant to fold over, made for a great interference fit.
Would not come back out for better picture.
4. The tapered roller bearing just sits lose on top of the welded in plug.
5. Easily powered by my jumper pack, yup HF on sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0489.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	86026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0490.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	86027   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0493.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	86028   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0494.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	86029   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0491.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	86030  

Last edited by GAS; 01-04-2012 at 01:06 PM. Reason: trying to add clarity to photos
Old 01-04-2012, 03:45 PM
trust but verify

Lifting equipment is a good thing.

Nearly all of us will get back backs if we don't already have them, and there's little excuse for fabricators and gearheads NOT to make convenient tools for saving our own bodies!
Old 01-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Voice of Experience

Great idea and execution thereof..backs are a terrible thing to waste.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 01-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Lord of the Minions

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yeh I know its a pickup bed hoist.
Gas, I've got one of those and have mounted it on the draw bar of one of our little SA's, forward of the Quick Hitch.

I've had it now about 3 years and I'm impressed with the little hoist.

I mounted a 12vlt winch on it as well soon after the hoist was put in place. Helps immensly.

Although, in this application, having it swivel as easily as yours with the bearing, is definately something I do not need on mine.

Well done on your project.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:55 PM

Way to work smarter and not harder. Great mod on the bearing and 12v winch. It's amazing how everything gets heavier everytime you have a birthday.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS View Post
Yeh I know its a pickup bed hoist.
My work bench BTW is 5 foot by 10 foot, inch and a quarter plate on legs, makes a great foundation and counter weight.
That bench is probably heavier than most modern pickups. Good project, thanks for sharing.