Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-06-2011, 03:40 AM
Lord of the Minions

Default Rattle Can Ball Rattler or Lazy Boy mixer

To reference another current/somewhat current thread about homemade rattle can shakers.

For years and years I've had to shake and shake till my elbows would give out. I have tried 4" X 4" ele hand/palm sanders, SawZall's, hospital bed vibrators and even went so far as making a swinging shaker but nothing just seemed to give me the freedom of setting up a can easily in a shaker and walking away for 5 or 10 minutes without having to worry about some calamity.

Well eureka, HF has come to the rescue in a big way and given me a Calgon moment.

Damn thing worked like a charm for two year shelf sitting rattle cans of Rustoleum primer. In three minutes time the ball was easily shook to and fro and at 5 minutes I was painting away.

I have a timer of sorts that I can set for 5 minutes and it works just great.

The first set of pics is the last attempt at a shaker, with the help of my nieces young son and his suggestions and help.

It worked but was rather large and we both felt that having to set up and electric drill was just not the time saver I was looking for. It had to be clamped down to the welding table and would never ever be convenient to the point that the HF mixer is now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0007.JPG
Views:	672
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	83590   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0008.JPG
Views:	614
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	83591   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0010.JPG
Views:	589
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	83592   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0011.JPG
Views:	592
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	83593  

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 11-06-2011, 03:58 AM
Lord of the Minions

Well the wooden wheeled attempt did shake well, but it was just too clumsy to have sitting anywhere and besides, I needed that drill motor.

But, last weekend I ordered a 5lb HF Tumbler 'toy' and it was delivered by FedEx this evening late.

Pulled it out of the box, looked at the IPC at the back of the instruction booklet and started to tear into it.

Removing the tub was first which then found me removing the plastic platten which sits on the four springs attached to the main housing.

Cut out a few pieces of ply, transfered holes, glued the two pieces together and re-assembled the platten with the new can holder in place.

3 hours was about all it took to get it ready to test run the thing.

Taking pics with this camera does not allow for showing how much motion this thing brings to the can, but the video does, if I can get it posted.

I've used bungee cords for now until I can come up with a hat of sorts to go over the cap of the can and attach corrected length bungees to the hat.

For now, the bungees look like they will work just fine.

This thing really works well.

$49 bucks to the door and three hours making the simple changes seems great for what it can do for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0053.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	83594   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0054.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	83595   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0055.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	83596   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0056.JPG
Views:	557
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	83597  

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 11-06-2011 at 04:05 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:04 AM
Lord of the Minions

I took a video of the Ball Rattler, but my camera downloads it in QuickTime format and I have no idea how to get something out of it to be played with a Winders player.

So for now, at least until I get back to the apt, the pics will have to suffice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0061.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	83598   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0063.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	83599   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0065 (Medium).JPG
Views:	341
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	83600  

Last edited by LW Hiway; 11-06-2011 at 04:11 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

you must love tp spray paint!
i love the wood fred flintstone shaker,great project!
Old 11-06-2011, 08:00 AM
SFT Navigator

Well LW, I respect your ideas and ingenuity, and like Randy I like the wooden prototype best. I just can't grasp the motivation to spend that amount of time, effort and money to build something, that in my shop, doesn't have a need.
It was a fun post to read, though.

So far,,,I'm succeeding.

"I don't care if you like me or not. I'm not even on Facebook."
Old 11-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Auction Addict

Can you share the link at HF?

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 11-06-2011, 01:42 PM

I'm guessing that it's this one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-me...ler-67617.html
Old 11-06-2011, 06:10 PM
More STEAM!!

I purchased a tumbler simular to that for polishing my brass cases before reloading. I paid a heck of a lot more for it though and have no intention of converting into a can shaker.

HF was not as widely spread around as they are now and the ones that I could go to did not have a lot of stuff.

LW, you might just have something there, I was thinking of a pneumatic file and making a holder from a piece of aluminum angle and a hose clamp. I just could never figure out a way to mate a steel rod, that would be placed in the pneumatic file where the normal file would be placed, and the aluminum angle with out the weight of the can shaker becoming too great.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I purchased a tumbler simular to that for polishing my brass cases before reloading. I paid a heck of a lot more for it though and have no intention of converting into a can shaker.
I wonder if a can sized holder of sorts coudl be fitted inside your tumblers tub to hold the can in place, hard fast enough for the vibrations to be transmitted to the can?

Old 11-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

I wonder (H.F. wise) if the "ultrasonic cleaner" would work good,
immerse the can in the water, and turn it on.

The ultrasonic energy should transmit readily thru the water, and "liquefy"
the paint in the bottom of the can.