Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 04-29-2011, 09:30 AM

Default Tractor Ballast Box Build.

I started on a Ballast Box on Tuesday evening... I cut the metal and done some welding, and on Wednesday evening I got the box part all welded up, and measured where I needed my pins and where I need a top bracket with a pin.. Should be able to drill my holes today, and weld the top bracket and then I can pick it up.

Welding the box was sure boring!... I welded the inside and spaced the welds 2'' apart, and on the outside I ran a full bead from end to end!

I'm weighing each part as I go, and when I weld the top bracket and install the pins with plates on the inside/outside.. The box will weigh 137lbs.... I still need to make a trailer hitch, and install metal pipe and maybe two 4'' plastic pipes for chain, and the 4'' pipe would also hold a chainsaw.

I'm also planning to make a box with a lid to put in the middle and use it as a storage area for small items!

The box sure looks big to me!.. It's 24''x 24''x 24''... I called my John Deere dealer Saturday to get a measurement, and he said he had one on the shelf that is 24"x 16"x 22".

I bought 10 bags of Portland Cement yesterday that weighs 94lbs a bag, and I plan to drop in some scrap metal that is 1/2'' and 1'' plate!

My Backhoe weighs a little over a 1000lbs... I'm hoping the Ballast Box will weigh close to 1400lbs. when it's finished!

*Haven't been able to work on it in the past couple days because of strong storms and rain, but should be able to get some work done today!*

Last edited by ~Stick/MIG~; 08-12-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:35 AM
More STEAM!!

Mine is not quite that nice, just an old barrel cut in half with a 3pt hitch welded in it an filled with 5 bags of concrete.

Its amazing how much difference that extra weight makes in a tractor ability to go.

That is a nice looking job.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Auction Addict

Are you planning on putting in a 3/8" drain hole in each corner of the box?

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated
Old 04-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Sorcerer's Apprentice

Looks good!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:40 PM

does anybody use Calcium chloride anymore? We always used it in our tractors to gain max traction without duals.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Hearts on Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Stick/MIG~ View Post
.......Welding the box was sure boring!.........
The actual welding is the fun part for me.

Looks good, I hope 1400 lbs isn't too heavy.

PT The pantywaists have taken all the fun and adventure out of life.
If a person isn't smart enough to not use the toaster in the bathtub, they deserve what they get.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:37 PM
More STEAM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac Freak View Post
does anybody use Calcium chloride anymore? We always used it in our tractors to gain max traction without duals.
When I purchased my tractor used it had Calcium in the tires on top of that the tractor was set up to be an orchard tractor using wider tires. I assume that the previous owner was an orchard owner, which we have a lot of around here..
Old 04-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

I built a box similar to that to go on the rear of a little Ford 340 A loader tractor. I think that mine weighs about 1800 with it full of scrap metal.

We used to use the calcium stuff in the tires, but switched to water and antifreeze years ago. The calcium is hell on your wheels if you ever get a leak. It's heavier than just water, but I don't think you gain that much by using it.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Elite Member

Still lots of calcium chloride used around here especially for loader tractors and modest size 4WD field tractors. Many big, 400+ HP four wheel drives are using cast wheel weights and suitcase weights as fluid seems to mulitply power hop once it starts.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:57 AM

Got a lot done yesterday!... Installed the pins and put a plate on the outside/inside for more support.. I welded the brackets for the top pin, welded the pipes in, and drilled a hole in the bottom where the pipes are.

Made a trailer hitch... I put a railroad plate in the bottom and welded it to the bottom of the BB, and welded the trailer hitch to it... I wanted to make sure the trailer hitch was welded in good.. Would hate for it to break loose with a trailer hooked to it!... The extra metal also added more weight to the box.

It sure don't look pretty down in the bottom, But it will be covered up with cement!... Was hard to weld down at the bottom.. Had to lay it on it's side and just about climb in it!

Right now the BB weighs 193lbs empty!... Today I'll fire up the mixer, and start filling it up!... I put my lower pins half way of the BB at 1ft, and that gave me great ground clearance ''IF'' I needed to raise it up high!

Last edited by ~Stick/MIG~; 08-12-2011 at 09:32 AM.