Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 04-10-2005, 08:36 AM

Default Harbor Freight band saw, review

ya ya, another review. but here it is anyway.

i went to their new Burbank IL store and picked it up. $159, + extra blade, tax, 1 year warranty, 10% discount (when you buy the $19 warranty). out the door, $179

the legs/stand.
i don't know what you guys are complaining about. yeah, its a little wobbly when moving it, but they seem to work fine while cutting. i had fully planed to reenforce them right away, and still will someday. but for now i have no issues with them, and other work to do, so they are staying as is for now.

gear box.
it was full of nice clean, THICK gear oil. the manual says 140w, and i would say thats true. its some thick stuff. no issues here.

the blade.
allthough i am only cutting thin aluminum, its holding up just fine, and cuts well.
i expect that to change when cutting steel. but who knows, maybe they started putting good blades on them.

the vertical table.
its small, but is ok for now, and more stable than i thought it would be.. i will make a larger table for it when i find a piece of plate.

so, all n all, i'd say its a damn good buy for the money, and my needs.
big time time saver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HF band saw.jpg
Views:	946
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	3503  
Old 04-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Curmudgeon

Well, that's all good. Maybe all the complaining that's been done over the years has had an effect. Or maybe you just got real lucky. Congrats.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 04-10-2005, 10:11 AM

thanks for the review.....I have been looking and researching all the posts on that saw..i still wasn't sure though...so i guess i'll be leaving soon to go get one...
Old 04-10-2005, 10:41 AM
Dodge City Marshal

I'm sure like my Clarke. I'll like it better when the brown truck brings the gear kit.

I'm definately going to incorporate Wyoming's wire brush trick. Been thinking about Slag's lifting table as a new stand for it. Also, making 'flats' on the round 'stop' bar for the set screws is a fine idea.

One trick I did was to methodically experiment with 45 degree cuts until I was happy with the vise set. Then I scribed a line in the bed.

I place some 3" round magnets inside zipper'd plastic bags and try to catch some shavings near the cut. I don't know if it's worth it though....

Quote:
Knock, knock. Anyone home? Anyone there? Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual’s life.
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/...ieve-life.html
Old 04-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCatF7
so i guess i'll be leaving soon to go get one...
Please do report back on your impression of yours. It will be good to have 2 report cards close together.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 04-10-2005, 07:44 PM

i used it again today. don't know how i lived without it. if i had the space, i would get another. and make it a permanent vertical.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:54 PM

ok,sorry it took so long but i have a 10mo old son and a crapload of other things to do..i went to HF on sat picked up the saw.. my first impression thus far as i haven't even had time to assemble it yet is: the gear box is full of THICK fluid.the stand is fair,my only complaint is it it sort of low.i already have an idea in my head to build a stand..,the overall fit and finish is good .for the price 159.00 and what i need it for i think it's a good buy
Old 04-17-2005, 07:07 PM

i ran my finger down in the THICK gear oil. i found no grit/sand. nice and clean.

i bought mine from a NEW HF store by me. so i think its possible that the very new machines got to this store.

for the money = GREAT machine !!!
Old 04-17-2005, 08:37 PM

i had some really thick green grease in mine.. had some yellowish stuff on the top

i've had my saw for 6-9months?

anyway i changed the oil saturday after reading about the oil.. the 80w i put in wasn't as thick as the stuff that came out..

i did have some metal bits in it though

my gears still look pretty good though
Old 04-17-2005, 08:49 PM

That's almost my exact impressions. My gear oil was fine, thick but like you said, 140w is thick and that's what the book says.

The stand was wobbly, but it fit my uneven shop floor perfectly that way. No rocking ever, which it would definitely do with a rigid stand because of my wavy floor. So, I decided to NEVER fix the wobbly stand; I like it that way.

Low: Yeah it's low. But with the conduit I've been cutting (metal AND pvc), I like it low. When I have 12' sections, I just stack a few stacks of whatever I have around to hold it all together. I do not have a well-appointed shop so I don't have all kinds of fancy stands, but I have lots of junk and it's easier to stack it 2' high than 4' high.

Blade: Well, I have lost three teeth in mine. I was cutting 1" angle mild steel when I first got it, and experimenting with how to position the angle, and I got a thing piece on it and sheared 3 teeth off on different parts of the blade. It still works fine but will need to be replaced. It failed because of abuse not use.

Best way for me to cut angle is pointing up.

I got a hydraulic cylinder from Surplus Center. Haven't used it. I prefer to stand right there and adjust or hold the bow. It's not like I have to cut anything so big I have to walk away or go sit on the john or something. With the stock blade, I cut 1.5" x 1/4" angle, and it went right through them. No time to walk away.

Worst thing on mine is the vice. I found that cutting bolts or small pieces required me to drill and tap another post hole in the back to put leverage on the front of the vice.

Other than that, it's been a damned fine saw and I would probably tick off an old metal hand by the way my amateur butt abuses the poor thing.