Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 02-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

Default Best thread sealant

I know this was discussed here before, but I can't find the threads. Here's my problem. I just got a new air compressor and installed a filter and a regulator. I have air leaks galore. They are 3/4" pipe threads. I noticed when I screwed the filter and regulator together with a short steel nipple that the threads seemed rough. I used the regular weight teflon tape on them but it's not about to seal for whatever reason. What do I need to use to seal them? I want this to be a nice system and it irks me to have leaks. Will Rectorseal fix it? Heavier teflon tape? Gimmie some ideas. lol
Old 02-11-2011, 09:17 PM

I have never used teflon tape ,since i found Liquid Teflon , it go on kinda thick and does,t peal off while i.m threading the pipe,s together
Old 02-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Maine-iac

Send a message via MSN to akabull

We just started using a loctite product that is a liquid teflon. So far I think it is Ok. In the past I always used rector seal. Not a fan of teflon tape, wind it on the threads the wrong way and it just peels off when assembling.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Jim,

I have used Slic tite which is a teflon paste looking stuff works good on good threads. I also have run into some blue colored rectorseal that i do believe would seal compressed air if you assembled it without tools other than your hands. That stuff is nasty sticky. Works good though. It is tough to get off your hands and whatever else you do not want it on.

Scott
Old 02-11-2011, 09:24 PM
SFT Historian

I use Teflon paste and Teflon tape over that.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:26 PM
no bull it's huge!

If the threads were rough it will leak no matter what you try, at least that's my experience. I usually screw the fittings together by hand pefore any sealant is applied. I'm looking for 4-5 turns in before getting snug. Then I take it back apart and put on 2-3 layers of teflon tape then tighten. I do the same for hydraulic fittings and don't have problems. For the ones that don't feel right I try diffrent fittings, not all fittings are machined the same. When you put it together don't be a gorilla, it doesn't need to be God awful tight.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Elite Member

I screw them up till they strip then back them off half a turn
Seriously I've found Loctite Hydraulic Pipe Sealant works real well
Old 02-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

Thanks for the quick replies.

What I might do is replace the steel nipple with a brass one and see if I can get it to seal better. That is where my main leak is. I have a couple of others that are minor and I might try the teflon paste on all them. I can always take them apart since they are pretty easy to get to.

I was suspicious of having leaks from the beginning since the threads are not smooth feeling when being screwed together. I got this stuff from McMaster-Carr and assumed it to be good quality. They are Norgren brand. Did I get crap?
Old 02-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Auction Addict

I'm kind of old fashioned I guess. I tried teflon tape quite some years ago and it was no better than bare fittings. I use the old white lead pipe thread sealer and I've only had one leak out of a thousand in past years. I don't know of you can even buy it anymore. I got a case of it a long time ago. I've got enough left to last a few years more.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 02-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Boiler God

Leak-lock from Highside Chemical in Gulfport, Miss.
The best I've ever used, we are not allowed to use teflon tape, a instant fireable offense.

jack

http://www.highsidechem.com/