Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:

Old 03-31-2005, 09:53 PM
A Man for All Reasons

Default Slag's Tables

In the Beginning.......

I made my first table. This picture shows the table after I redesigned it's legs. It was at first much like a card table, legs stored under the top, just like a card table, and they angled out for stability. The only problem I had with it is...the legs sometimes got in the way, I would trip on them if I was welding and had helmet down. Not a big problem but one that needed correcting. Also notice, gee, this was almost two years ago, the small air compressor noise maker. Replaced now with my Champion almost half ton in weight compressor.
I then, in the picture, changed the legs to this, and it works fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	first table 1.jpg
Views:	1276
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	3269  
Old 03-31-2005, 10:06 PM
A Man for All Reasons

Same table, but now you can see I have increased it's use.
I can now add a vise, grinder, angle grinder holders, the legs come off and I use to store it away...but sometimes it wasn't quite big enough for rails, even though it was the same height at the bench along the wall. I couldn't use it either, easily, for long stock when I drilled with my drill press. I had already built and was happy with a motorcycle lift I built, and designed, so I thought, I have some metal, about 7 feet long and 14 inches wide, 3/16 inch thick, maybe I'll just add longer legs to the design of the motorcycle lift, and make myself a welding table that can change direction. So onward to next picture and see what I did.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	first table 2.jpg
Views:	911
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	3270  
Old 03-31-2005, 10:15 PM
A Man for All Reasons

Here is the welding table before I had ever lifted it. I know this isn't correct in timing, but remember this are two years ago, and I still need to find the pictures of the first motorcycle lift prototype's. Unsuccessful as to that task yet, but I will get to them when I find them. I took the pictures of them before I got my digital camera. So when I find them, I'll have to scan them and then post them. Anyway, here is the table, on the ground at 3 inches in height.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lifting table down 2.jpg
Views:	1801
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	3271  
Old 03-31-2005, 10:20 PM
A Man for All Reasons

This is table today. I wanted to show it about 34 inches high, dolly under, and with the clamps that cutter wanted to know about. You can see that I can add my vises. I can also add my grinder, cutting grate, just tons of stuff.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	table with vise, clamps 1.jpg
Views:	1909
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	3272  
Old 03-31-2005, 10:27 PM
A Man for All Reasons

Same day I built the welding table, I wanted to see what it could lift. I figured, about a 6 to 1 lift ratio. So with a 2 ton floor jack, I lifted this pretty easily. Height is 40 inches
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lifting table with mower 1.jpg
Views:	1002
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	3273  
Old 03-31-2005, 10:36 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlagKing
This is table today. I wanted to show it about 34 inches high, dolly under, and with the clamps that cutter wanted to know about. You can see that I can add my vises. I can also add my grinder, cutting grate, just tons of stuff.
And it still just scares hell out of me because it still doesn't have any stops to keep it from collapsing in case of jack failure. And I do not trust those little $25 jacks.
But I do like the table. Thanks for posting it, Tom. More pictures & details would be appreciated.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 03-31-2005, 10:42 PM
A Man for All Reasons

Recaping...here is the motorcycle lift just before final painting.
Some things worth pointing out.
Lift height is 24 inches, length is 9 feet
The front platform above the jack is bolted to the frame
The rear platform is sliding, allowing different size bikes in length
Open center design to allow for oil changes, work from bottom, things like that.
Third leg in middle so a center jack can be used for rear tire removal. With the center jack the rear tire can be lifted off the rear platform, and that platform can be taken away. The frame is an open design so that the tire once removed can be rolled straight back and out of the way, away from the lift and bike. That way the amount you have to lift the bike with the center jack is small, only enough to lift the tire off the rear platform.
There are stops on this lift, and they are controled by the handle that goes over the jack saddle. When you set them , you can take the jack away and use it as the center jack. You can then also release the stops from the front where you work the jack anyway.
It lifts at about a 2 to 1 ratio, and with a 2 ton floor jack it lifted a 800 lb. Harley easy.
It's now enjoyed in it's new home and I'm told works perfect. I made it to take down easily, and store in small area. It also goes down to 3 inches in height. Driving or pushing a bike on it is easy. My guess in weight without the rear platform or jack would be about 80lbs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Motorcycle lift.jpg
Views:	932
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	3274  
Old 03-31-2005, 10:42 PM
Dodge City Marshal

First thing I'd change on it?
It's address

Quote:
Knock, knock. Anyone home? Anyone there? Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual’s life.
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/...ieve-life.html
Old 03-31-2005, 10:57 PM
A Man for All Reasons

Now I never intended to use my welding table as a motorcycle lift. But you can't always control your needs. One reason why I have 5 kids, but thats another story. Continuing, a different friend found out about my great ability to fix darn near everything. So about a two months ago, give or take a few days, he asked me to fix his motorcycle that had sat for two freak'n years without starting, bad gas and dead battery. So of course I said sure why not. What else do I have to do right!!!
So I wanted to be able to work on the bike, with it straight up and down so I made up some bike vises and using the holes I use my clamps for, and my HF scroller and bender, I made this crude bike vises up and somehow they work perfectly. I lifted the bike once to see if the table would lift it. It did!!! Although I didn't take a picture, for some reason the batteries didn't want to work but I did take a picture of the bike on the lift just before I lifted it. It was nice to work on it, then roll it out of the way back to it's home area in the shop. I fixed the bike, in a few more days, and then I think I left for my tip to Dodge City and Calif. Anyway here is how it was when I worked on it.
I didn't need to lift it to work on it, I just sat on a little stool and the height was correct. Too bad I didn't get to take a picture of it lifted. But I was in a hurry and wanted it gone anyway.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	motorcycle on lift.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	3275  
Old 03-31-2005, 11:18 PM
A Man for All Reasons

Here is the SlagTool clamp that cutter wanted to know about. See how they work? Pretty darn good!
One or two things of interest here are.........
Big blue vise on welding table. Fits in like a receiver hitch, as do all my things now.
Big plates in vise are for extending the "jaws" to make a C type of clamp.
Ever tryed to make a C type clamp by heating in a vise, get the first bend in and then try to get the second bend in and it hits the vise and all you can do is get maybe a weak 45 degree angle? Well here is how I fix or get around it.
I extend my "Jaws" and go to town making up my C type of clamp, without the vise getting in the way. Try it, it works great.
Thats it for tonight. I'd like to also add, to Cutter:
Look at the motorcycle lift, I did put stops on it, so I have no excuse to not do it to the welding table, like I know I should, so rest easy my friend, before I use it again, I will add them. And Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	table with vise, clamp 2.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	3276  

Last edited by SlagKing; 03-31-2005 at 11:38 PM.