Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 10-13-2010, 08:16 PM

Default Log/Trailer Hitch For My Tractor.

Here's another thing I made for my tractor this past March.

Last year when I was cutting firewood... I was pulling the trees with the hitch on my FEL and had to back when pulling the logs.... This year I decided to build a ''log hitch'' for the rear, and make it so it can be used with the ''quick hitch''.

I also put a ''trailer hitch'' on it so I can pull my firewood trailer that I built ''last year.''... All the metal used was scrap metal left over from other things I have built... When I first started I had to use a grinder all day to remove the rust.

In the pictures you will see 3 pieces of pipe.... I put one inside the larger pipe, and welded it up... The bent piece wasn't used.

(There was more pieces of metal used than what I had in the first picture)

There is ''21 pieces'' to this hitch that needed to be welded .... I pulled ''large logs'', and I had to put ''8 braces'' on it to make it strong..(4 on top & 4 on bottom)

The top and bottom will have A LOT of stress when pulling logs... So I had to weld it up good!

I had to buy 2 pins for the quick hitch.

I made the hitch for the receiver.

Last edited by ~Stick/MIG~; 08-12-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:22 PM

All finished and painted!

I took the backhoe off and put the 3-point hitch on, and the ''log hitch'' mounts easy to the quick hitch.

I put the large hook on the end so I can use small & large chains.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:32 PM

Looks good just be carefull.Pulling a load up above your axle will make your tractor stand up and do tricksIf you get to big a log or it gets hung on something.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:34 PM

Default Some Action Shots!

The first tree I cut was a Maple.... The hitch works great and is very strong!!!

I lower the hitch down to hook on to the log, and then raise it enough so the end doesn't dig into the ground when pulling.

On ''large logs'' I use the big hook on the end of the hitch, and on ''smaller logs'' I can pull 2 logs with the lower hooks.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:44 PM

Default More Action Shots.

I found out quick that using chains was a problem, because the logs lay on the ground, and it was a problem to get the chains around the logs... So I went to TSC and bought a large set of ''logging tongs!''

The logging tongs makes hooking up to logs a lot easier and faster.... They will open up to 25''.

After I pull the logs to the bottom where I split my wood.... Then I can lift the logs off the ground to cut them up, and that will keep my saw from getting into the ground.

I cut a 3ft piece of high test chain to use with the logging tongs... The 3ft piece of chain works great because I don't have a lot of ''chain slack''.

I cut 17 cords of firewood this past spring!

Last edited by ~Stick/MIG~; 08-12-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:56 PM

This wood-stove is the reason I built the log/trailer hitch.

I bought the wood-stove last year, and cut 14 cords last year that will be burned this year.... I cut 17 cords this past spring, and it will be used for 2011/2012 season.

I'm one year ahead on wood so far, and plan to cut more starting next February.... The stove really loves wood!

Last edited by ~Stick/MIG~; 08-12-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:44 AM

Nice build on the log hauler . i wish my woodland was that level .
Old 10-14-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopdog View Post
Nice build on the log hauler . i wish my woodland was that level .
Thanks!

Not all my property is that level...Especially my hunting property behind my home... I have an ATV trail that goes up the mountain, and the trail is very steep, and just wide enough for an ATV!

No way would I take my tractor up that mountain even if the trail was wide enough... But there sure is some fine hardwoods up there!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:28 AM
Nutbuster

Stickmig, That set up is the thing. I like the log tongs and the hitch. Do heat soley with wood? I heat only with wood. I haven't bought heating oil for 6 years now. Hot Blast is a good heater. I would like to have one sometime. I have a Wondercoal stove. It says its a 48,000 BTU unit. It will run you out in Feb. if you put too much wood in it. I have had the front door open in Feb while watching TV in Shorts and a T-shirt. Sometimes its summer in the living room in Feb. Kevin

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."- Albert Einstien

I'm mostly worthless! You'll see.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman56 View Post
Stickmig, That set up is the thing. I like the log tongs and the hitch.
Thanks very much Engineman!!!

Quote:
Do heat soley with wood? I heat only with wood. I haven't bought heating oil for 6 years now. Hot Blast is a good heater. I would like to have one sometime. I have a Wondercoal stove. It says its a 48,000 BTU unit.
Yeah, I heat only with wood.... The new wood-stove will also hold 70lbs. of coal, But I haven't burned any in it yet.... I have a truck load of coal, and use some of it in the wood-stove in my shop.

I also have a fireplace in my living room and an ''insert'' in the family room...But we quit using them after we bought the new stove.... The Hot Blast is hooked up to the duct-work in my home.... It puts out 139,000 BTU's, and that really depends on the wood your burning!

Last year our electric bill in the winter was $75.00 to $90.00 a month!.... The year before that.. Our electric was over $200, and a couple times it was close to $300.... I also have an electric furnace, and when I ''was'' burning wood in the fireplace, and insert... I also had to use the electric furnace to heat other rooms.... The electric furnace really makes an electric bill go up in the winter.

That's why I decided to buy the ''new Hot Blast''... I like it because it hooks up to the duct-work!

Now, If you buy one.... Don't buy it from ''U.S. Stove Co's. website... Because the stoves are about $700 more! ... I bought mine from TSC for $1,100.99+ tax... TSC's prices on their website is not always accurate.

My father-in-law has a stove like you... He hooked it up to the duct-work in his home.

Quote:
It will run you out in Feb. if you put too much wood in it. I have had the front door open in Feb while watching TV in Shorts and a T-shirt. Sometimes its summer in the living room in Feb. Kevin

... Been there and done that with the ''Hot Blast''!!!

When I first got the stove... It took me a couple weeks to get use to it... A couple of times it was 20 deg's outside, and 92 deg's inside!!! .... I had the front door, and a couple windows open!... I could have turned the thermostat up, and had it 100 deg's inside!!!

The Hot Blast stove really does great!.... And the best thing is:.. ''It heats all rooms''!... I'm also heating my 3 car garage!.... My home is 3000 sq. ft.

This will be the second year with the new stove, and it paid for itself last year.... IMHO!

Sorry for such a long post.