Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 03-07-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Old pipefitters test?

Can someone explain this a little better? I found it on Andy's site while reading about O/A welding 4130. I can't picture how to get from a piece of pipe to 6 pieces that'll become a ball.

"Testing your work. The old pipefitters test is a good one. Take a short length of the largest tubing you can find. Cut four pieces that are mitered to the center. You can do that by taking a piece of tubing about an eighth of an inch longer than its diameter and then cutting it diagonally to get six pieces of tubing with two forty five degree cuts. Now you have two saddles and two HALF saddles. Arrange these pieces to make a funky looking ball. Drill an eighth inch diameter hole in the center of one of the full saddles. You have to drill the hole BEFORE you start welding."
Old 03-08-2005, 06:14 AM
Yes girls, he's single!

I don't know why you would want to make a steel ball, the bouncing capabilities would be non-existent.

The standard pipe fitting test, is to take a piece of 12inch pipe, and make a full size tee out of it. Any pipe fitting book will detail the procedure. The second part of the test is a 12 inch butt weld.
Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and shouting WOW...what a ride
Old 03-08-2005, 07:31 AM
North West Redneck

Hi david r. I’ve never heard of this pipe fitter’s test! I know two answers to a plumber’s test tho. Yes, $hit does run down hill, and yes payday is on Friday.

I went through a pipe welding book I have, and this is the best I can come up with. I don’t see anything that will make a full circle! There is a section on how to blank off a piece of pipe, (orange peel).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pipe weld.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	2911  
Old 03-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Banned

Bfootin trust me on this, a steel ball will bounce.

Buck, I'm glad I ain't the only one who didn't understand the question.
About the only way I can think of that comes out close to a ball would be if you did a double orange peel and welded them together back to back to make a ball.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:13 PM

I'll look in a Lindsay book I have about O/A aircraft welding, I seem to remember something about this test mentioned. If I remember right it was a war department test used in the WW 2 aircraft plants. I think the ball was welded and then pressure tested, afterwards the ball was squeezed a set amount in a hydraulic press and again pressure tested all of the testing was done using 4130 aircraft tubing and O/A and I don't think it was called a pipefitters test it was only used for testing airframe weldors. I'll check for sure when I get home.

Jeff

Last edited by jpill; 03-08-2005 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:44 PM

Franz, what you described as an orange peel is how the ball looks from the picture I remember.

Jeff
Old 03-08-2005, 03:48 PM
North West Redneck

Here is a picture of the orange peel process, for those of you who have not seen one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	orange peel.jpg
Views:	1176
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	2914  
Old 03-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pile Buck
Here is a picture of the orange peel process, for those of you who have not seen one.
The curvatures in photo B are gotten by using a wrap around and connecting point baseline to C/L top of pipe, they ain't drawn free hand.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:19 PM
abad36

The discription sounds like it would work like this drawing as far as cutting it...then ya must assenble the pieces into a ball, but I'm not good at CAD or a drawing program so I couldn't attempt to illustrate that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pipe.JPG
Views:	544
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	2921  
Old 03-08-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Beachball

I think abad36 is correct but I don't see where the so-called HALF saddles fit in, or that the end pieces would even form half saddles. I would guess that you'd need to cut TWO pieces of pipe to get four FULL saddles. Joining the four sections of pipe would crudely approximate a sphere in the same way as the panels on a beachball. If you cut at angles shallower than 45 degrees, i.e. a greater number of slimmer sections, the approximation would become less crude.

Maybe a steel "medicine ball" would be a better alternative for Franz than the health club