Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 04-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Member Emeritus June 1965 - August 2015

Default Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers

Well.........not really, I just like saying that.

I realized I hadn't done any work/project posts in quite some time so I figgered todays task would fit the bill. This is a custom bumper I did for a customer. He and his son took this old golf cart and over the winter have had it repainted, lifted, re-upolstered, and Line-X'ed the floorboard and rear compartment area. They plan to use it to haul their lazy asses around while they shoot at the sporting clay events/circuit around Oregon.

My part was pretty easy. There was only one way to really mount something so that made the design pretty simple. You can see how it's put together by the pictures. The only funky thing I had to do was on the vertical U-shaped part. To make it look proportional on the plate, and with the rest of the bumper, I bent two separate pieces and the cut one leg short on each of them. I then re-welded them back together to form the single part. The radius on my die wasn't enought to do it all in one bend.

Material is 1 1/8" X .065" ms tube for the mains and 5/8" X .035 4130 for the supports. The plate is also mild steel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1332.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	59550   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1337.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	59551   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1334.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	59552   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1333.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	59553   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1336.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	59554  

I've been crawling on my belly, clearing out what could've been. I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions. I wanna feel the change consume me, feel the outside turning in. I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within.
My shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to.

Maynard James Keenan

Last edited by KB Fabrications; 04-06-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:56 PM

Looks good KB
I am in the planning stages of a snowmobile powered golfcart for a friend of mine. If all goes well it should look 1/2 golfcart 1/2 prerunner truck. We will see...
Old 04-06-2010, 08:58 PM
That HURT!

Maybe it's just me but if I spent that much time and money on a custom golf cart I would have wanted the bumper made from anodized aluminum or SS.

Nice job Kevin.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack898 View Post
Maybe it's just me but if I spent that much time and money on a custom golf cart I would have wanted the bumper made from anodized aluminum or SS.

Nice job Kevin.
LMAO, I was thinking that too but you have to know, these guys have been doing mostly trades for the work on this thing. I think they just want it to look nice and if the truth be told, they probably won't have more than a grand in it when it's all said and done. They own a feed store not far from our place and it has been a very successful venture for them over the last several years. That's how they are doing most of the trading.

The paint job, Line-X'ing, and upholstering, were done by friends. They bought the parts and did the lift themselves as well as buying the rear bumper and the faux carbon fiber dash insert. Hell, I may just be doing some trading myself as I have 57 birds coming next week. I have 43 chickens already and have 30 meat bird, 15 layer hens, and 7 turkeys on order from them and will need some feed and supplies ta' boot. Good way for me to make that happen.

Anywho, here are a few more pics I snapped of the cart. The rear bumper they bought was a stock, off the shelf unit, and cost $59.99. No way I could compete with that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1338.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	59563   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1339.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	59564   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1340.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	59565   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1341.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	59566   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1343.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	59567  

I've been crawling on my belly, clearing out what could've been. I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions. I wanna feel the change consume me, feel the outside turning in. I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within.
My shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 04-06-2010, 11:28 PM

Default Golf Carts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrailmike View Post
Looks good KB
I am in the planning stages of a snowmobile powered golfcart for a friend of mine. If all goes well it should look 1/2 golfcart 1/2 prerunner truck. We will see...
Mike,
If you happen to be travelling through the central valley of Calif, drop by Visalia, and pay a visit to Mesquite Golf carts. The ones they make are awesome.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:32 PM

Nice, what kind of bender are you using?
1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
BFH
Old 04-07-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
Nice, what kind of bender are you using?
Thanks! Using a Pro-Tools 105 HD and the Bend-Tech Pro software.

Maynard James Keenan