Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-05-2010, 11:33 PM

Default Building a Powder Coat Oven

Well since I bought my new HF powder Coat gun I figured that I might as well build an oven to go with it. I had coated several brackets with a standard home oven and had great results once I figured it out. Problem was that I could only do small brackets and not a whole bunch more given the size constraints of the home oven.

We had one of those restaurant style plate racks that was spring loaded. All the plates were stacked on the platform and the springs would take the load. the more you stack the lower the plates would go keeping the top of the plates even with the top of the rack.

The rack is 25x25x30, where the home oven was 14x18x24. The walls of the oven are only single layer SS, once I put the second layer in, it will measure 23x23x29. It is big enough for what I will need because I really don't want to get into bigger stuff, I will leave that to the pros.

Picture
#1 I decided to start taking pictures after I had the whole thing apart so here is the Craig's list oven somewhat how it looked when I got it for $60. It was actually working pretty good.

#2 The plate rack that was just sitting around taking up space.

#3 The rack fitted with the controls

#4 The control panel of the C.L. oven that I cut down to fit the side of the new box, I did not need the surface burner controls.

#5 Wiring it up including the thermostat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_566.jpg
Views:	1009
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	57963   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_567.jpg
Views:	999
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	57964   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_568.jpg
Views:	1005
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	57965   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_569.jpg
Views:	955
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	57966   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_570.jpg
Views:	978
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	57967  

"Yes, we did produce a near perfect Republic. But will they keep it? Or will they in their enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Thomas Jefferson

If you spent 1 million dollars every day from the time Christ walked the earth until now, you still would not have spent 1 trillion dollars!
Old 03-05-2010, 11:38 PM

More progress

#1 The insulation from the old oven that I may or may not use. I have to buy more any way so I may just trash this stuff.

#2 The interior panels just about ready to go into the new oven

#3 The placement of the heating elements, I still have to weld the support brackets.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAGE_572.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	57968   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_573.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	57969   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_571.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	57970  

"Yes, we did produce a near perfect Republic. But will they keep it? Or will they in their enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Thomas Jefferson

If you spent 1 million dollars every day from the time Christ walked the earth until now, you still would not have spent 1 trillion dollars!
Old 03-05-2010, 11:47 PM

There are a lot of oven building questions asked and answered at the powderbuythepound and caswell coatings forums.

Might be worth a little reading time.
I'm running a craigslist residential oven and like everyone else who thinks it will be good enough for a while - my 'while' was over a long time ago.

Powder coating can become an addiction, be careful.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Hearts on Fire

That will turn out to be professional looking. It will be top loading if I see it right. Very nice Barn Owl. The extra size will come in handy I'm sure.

PT The pantywaists have taken all the fun and adventure out of life.
If a person isn't smart enough to not use the toaster in the bathtub, they deserve what they get.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:34 PM

Default powder coating oven

Here is my 2 cents worth
here is the oven I built about a year ago. works great. If you whan to do powder coating its simple to make an oven see the attached pictures of my oven and trolley to hang parts on. I used 2 55 gal drums (shortened) for the inside and covered it with 4" normal insulation (home depot type pink stuff).
Bought a PId and 60 amp ssr from ebay ($65.) and used 2 round top burners (2300 watt) I can get up to over 450 degrees no sweat and the outside in not warm. I made mine in a horizontal type with wheel on the end I move it like a wheel barrow. and stand it on end to store. I use a trolley to hang the parts on (that my bead roller frame in the trolley) I load the parts and wheel it in the oven. Set the PId for the temp I need and when its hot enough I open the end and wheel in the trolley and 15 minutes latter they come out done.
Great tool to have

Tom
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	powder coat oven (4).jpg
Views:	1966
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	57997   Click image for larger version

Name:	powder coat trolly.jpg
Views:	1237
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	57998  
Old 03-07-2010, 12:17 PM
better w/bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by acourtjester View Post
Here is my 2 cents worth
here is the oven I built about a year ago. works great. If you whan to do powder coating its simple to make an oven see the attached pictures of my oven and trolley to hang parts on. I used 2 55 gal drums (shortened) for the inside and covered it with 4" normal insulation (home depot type pink stuff).
Bought a PId and 60 amp ssr from ebay ($65.) and used 2 round top burners (2300 watt) I can get up to over 450 degrees no sweat and the outside in not warm. I made mine in a horizontal type with wheel on the end I move it like a wheel barrow. and stand it on end to store. I use a trolley to hang the parts on (that my bead roller frame in the trolley) I load the parts and wheel it in the oven. Set the PId for the temp I need and when its hot enough I open the end and wheel in the trolley and 15 minutes latter they come out done.
Great tool to have

Tom
Welcome to the sandbox, good job on the oven, I like the portability of the unit.
Thanks for sharing
L*S
Old 03-07-2010, 12:33 PM

Cool looking oven. I was wondering if the regular insulation would work for these ovens, looks like it will. I elected to keep mine vertical for several reasons, because I could have laid it down like other ovens I have seen before. 1st because it keeps it easy to coat, my piece will be right at chest level hanging from the rack it will be coated. I just have to lower it into the oven, and since I do not want to get into the big pieces lowering by hand should not be a problem. 2nd making a rack to roll in and out, although convenient, seems to take up valuable real estate. 3rd I do not have a tremendous amount of space in my shop to be rolling in and out where up and down is much easier.
Thanks for the info on the insulation. I like the wheel barrow concept
Oh and welcome to our little slice of heaven

Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Barn Owl, remember that regular insulation works on air space, the fibers trap air and prevent it from moving, compressing the insulation can lower its R-value.
If you have an industrial insulation supply house in your area you can get fiberglass sheet insulation with a higher temperature rating. Easier to work with than batt style insulation.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 03-07-2010, 11:02 PM

Default powder coat

As with many things when we make things it is what we want or works for our own situation or needs. The happiness is that it works well.

Have fun
tom
Old 03-08-2010, 03:03 PM

Dan,
Yeah I was even thinking of the cement board thay use for tile work but need something soft for the wiring that is inside the oven. Still have not decided. Will look for the industrial stuff.

Thomas Jefferson