Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 01-21-2010, 12:28 AM

Default HF powder coat set

Well I have had my HF powder coating set on the bench for about 6 months, I kind of forgot that i had it for a while until we had a rush job that couldn't wait for the company I usually use. I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised and impressed that such a good end result can come from HF. I did not have great expectations for it but it was on sale so I thought what could it hurt to try it. It took a couple brackets to get the spray just right but after you understand the build up rate it comes out looking just as good as the ones I have done professionally. I will be using it more often now that I have the hang of it. I will post some pics tomorrow when I have my camera.
If you are thinking of getting one I highly recommend it.
Mike

"Yes, we did produce a near perfect Republic. But will they keep it? Or will they in their enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Thomas Jefferson

If you spent 1 million dollars every day from the time Christ walked the earth until now, you still would not have spent 1 trillion dollars!
Old 01-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 7018

I've had one of those for about 4 years now. I build a cabinet and use a old house oven.

I've done brackets Auto parts and a lot of other things, I've been happy with mine...

Paul
Old 01-21-2010, 09:46 AM

Thank you Barn Owl for the submission of your review. You can now find it listed under the Accessory/Miscellaneous Reviews area in the Product/Equipment Review Section.

As everyone adds to this review it becomes more valuable to the next reader.

Thanks to all that contribute!

Last edited by TommyA; 01-21-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Sultan of Scrounge

I have never used one but I have seen the results and I was impressed. They used an old house oven as well.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:27 PM

PIC'S PLEASE.!!
I would really like to see the result and even the product, I also wonder if something like that is avaliable in Australia.?
What sort of price do these systems sell for if I may ask.?
Old 01-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flametamer

[QUOTE=matthew_g;333775] I also wonder if something like that is avaliable in Australia.?[QUOTE]

Try this link to Caswell

Dt
Old 01-22-2010, 12:50 AM

Holey Crappers,
The PRICE.!!!!
Well I ended up falling in love with one of their nickle plating systems.
So looks like that could be the new toy....
Old 01-22-2010, 02:29 AM
Curmudgeon

Matthew, this is the Harbor Freight offering.
Maybe the price will be more to your liking.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 01-22-2010, 10:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to Greenbuggy

some good info here...I wrote up some on what I hacked on the HF unit

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6444
Old 01-22-2010, 11:34 AM

Sorry no pics yet it has been raining non stop this whole week and I am responsible to fix any damage or unclog storm drains, stop leaks etc.. will take pics today.
The HF gun is pretty cheap and takes some getting used to to get good results. A nice expensive gun would be great but for the amount that I do and the results that I can obtain with this gun the cost of the expensive gun is not worth it.
I have a artists airbrush air compressor that has perfect air volume delivery. Even though the directions say that a compressor that can deliver 20 to 40 psi is required, that is not the pressure that you spray with. I dumped about a quarter of my powder on the ground finding that 20 psi was way too much. One squeeze and it looked like I had filled my shop vac with the powder. Dial the pressure control knob down so only a small but constant puff comes out of the gun, the electrostatic attraction will draw most of the powder to the object leaving little to clean up after spraying. Going back and forth building up layers is better than having mountains and valleys. Having access to a sandblaster is nice so you start with a very clean surface that has a bit of a tooth to it to really hold the powder, not sure how it would adhere to clean smooth cold rolled steel.
Several times I had to unclip the ground from the piece and hit it with the handle side of a screw driver to knock all the powder off so I could start again after too much build up was occurring in some areas.
Mike

"Yes, we did produce a near perfect Republic. But will they keep it? Or will they in their enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Thomas Jefferson

If you spent 1 million dollars every day from the time Christ walked the earth until now, you still would not have spent 1 trillion dollars!