Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 12-15-2009, 01:23 AM
Elite Member

Default Metabo W8-115 4 1/4" Quick change grinder

Got my new grinder today. I have had the 6" 12amp version and wanted a smaller grinder for finish work. I found this one on ebay and bid, completely forgot about it, and a few days later I had won the auction for $51. Haha, oops. Figured someone would have outbid me!

The W8-115 is a 8 amp 10,000rpm 4.5" angle grinder. It has a unique quick change feature for swamping discs with no tooling. You lock the spindle and just twist off the over sized, knurled locking collar. The guard is completely rotatable at the press of a small level on its back side. Giving you a flexible working guard. I might leave this one on! :evil:. The power switch has a neat feature, just pushing forwards turns the grinder on, but does not lock it on. Pushing forwards and down locks the power on. Very useful feature. The entire unit is very well constructed and I expect it to last for years.

Product link.
http://www.metabo-anglegrinders.com/...t.23034.0.html

Metabo is quickly becoming my new favorite power tool company. I will let you guys know what I think of the 1/2" drill I just won for $35 when it gets here next week .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	317EtXF7SlL._SS500_.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	54179  
Old 12-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Sypder , I have used and abused more grinders then the average person will ever see in their lifetime . The Metabo grinders are the only ones that have held up for me . I had one so hot the labels started to peel off the sides of it , it is still doing wire wheel duty in my shop today .
I own two right now one for grinding and one for wire brushing .
I think you will be happy with the performance of that grinder .
Dan .
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 12-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Boiler God

I have 6 of the Metabo grinders, all loaded with different wheels, in the truck, and another 6 or 8 in the shop, and beat the dog crap out of them, they are for me the best on the market. Like Dan, I've had the labels peeling from the heat, but like the old Timex ads, "they take a lickin', but keep on tickin'", At this time I wouldn't buy anything else.

jack
Old 12-15-2009, 05:43 PM

Default Metabos

I have probably bought at least 20 of the metabo 6" grinders for the shop over the years, never had one that was a lemon. Before I started spending the money for Metabos I tried all the cheap grinders but none held up to dailey shop use.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:11 PM

Thank you spider for the submission of your review. You can now find it listed under the Grinders location in the Product/Equipment review section.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:17 AM
Elite Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3l3A...ayer_embedded#

Great Youtube video from Metabo.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:25 AM
jteck75

I've been looking to replace my old Milwaukee 4 1/2" grinder,that's about ready to retire after alot of good years of hard work. I noticed the new Milwaukee offering is made in Mexico,so I won't be making any more grinder purchases with them. I like alot of the German makes,I'm leaning heavily toward the Metabo,(especially after reading the last few posts)but I've heard alot of good stuff about Fein grinders as well. Does anybody have any of the Fein tools? Any other makes of electric tools that anybody recommends? I don't mind spending a little more,as long as it's good quality,and I only have to spend it once. You guys have been very knowlegeable and helpful,I've learned alot on here. Thanks!!
Old 12-18-2009, 03:49 AM
Elite Member

I considered Fein, but its just plain out of my purchase range. I would rather buy 3 Metabo for the price of a single Fein. Just IMO.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:37 AM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jteck75 View Post
I've been looking to replace my old Milwaukee 4 1/2" grinder,that's about ready to retire after alot of good years of hard work. I noticed the new Milwaukee offering is made in Mexico,so I won't be making any more grinder purchases with them. I like alot of the German makes,I'm leaning heavily toward the Metabo.
Now that Milwaukee is actually a Chinese owned company, I'm not surprised that the tools aren't made in the USA any more, I have Milwaukee tools from Mexico, China, Spain and the US. And I believe the ones from the US will get fewer and fewer. I also have a Fein, a very nice tool, but with the luck I've had with Metabo, I'll stick with Metabo and like the Spyder, buy more tools with the cost difference.

jack