Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 12-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Lord of the Minions

Default Wanting a Forksnatch, not quite from scratch.....

While I am able to build something from scratch, most times I like to look at something that is mostly suited for the job, and can be morphed into a newer creation of sorts.

Since Cutter first previewed the birth of the ForkSnatch, I've wanted something around the shop and home but in a less of a dedicated platform or situation for it's sometime/pretty often/seldom, needs of use. (makes sense to me)

So, while walking around HF the other day I noticed one of these, looking all pretty and yellar and decided that I just had to have one sitting in the corner in an un-opened box.

Now, the mad scientist in me has not started with scalpel and there is yet to be 'donor blood' spilt on the shop floor, but the creative juices are still flowing and it looks like the end result will be settled in my mind in a week or two. Just in time for our Christmas break at work.

In my minds eye, there will be some changes surely in structure, added bracing here and gussets there, pneudraulic cylinder to replace the one supplied, changes to the forks allowing them to be spread or closed by use of a cross bar arrangement etc etc.

I'm going to make this tool to be used on the front of one of the lawn tractors, probably made to be used in the rear with the tractors seating and steering reversed in that direction as well.

But the main thing is to make it a quick attach affair, to allow for it's quick and easy removal and replacement. I also want to have it fitting on an in shop system, without the use of the tractor, but electrically driven/motored around to lift things around in the shop, but with out the same large tractor foot print.

I've looked hard at having a hydraulic system like used on the great and powerful Forksnatch, but it's easier and much much cheaper to run and plumb a compressor on a little tractor or in shop gizmo than the other.

Making and having the use of cleats/stops on the risers will be a must for holding the load at heights needed and won't be a problem to create/make so that's not a problem at all.

There will be a need for additional steel in the riser portion of the lift, but that will be supplied by goodies already at hand.

With the two discounts I had in hand I was able to knock off a full hunnert' off the asking. Otherwise, it might still be sitting on their floor.

Quoting the HF page......
Quote:
This device makes it quick and easy to change wheels and tires on large vehicles such as trucks, buses, and tractors.
  • Lifting height: 3-1/3" to 22-2/3"
  • For wheels from 19-2/3" to 55" diameter
  • Foot-operated hydraulic system makes it easy for only one person to remove both single and dual/twin wheels
  • Width of the load arms is adjustable: smooth roller-action sleeves allow different sizes of wheels to be rotated for lining up on studs
  • Two swivel and two fixed wheels allow for easy maneuverability
  • Each lifting arm has two sets of roller bearings so that dual/twin wheels can revolve independently
  • Safety chain
  • Maximum weight capacity: 1100 lbs.
Overall dimensions: 40-1/2" L x 38" W x 45-1/2" H

ITEM 65529-1vga

$399.99
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	High lift wheel trolly.JPG
Views:	714
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	54084  

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Cranky Crustacean

Well that's a new one on me from HF.... But I can see where it would come in handy.

I have to confess I too was taken by Cutter's forksnatch after seeing pics of it the other day moving the bandsaw.

I generally use my engine hoist boom to move heavy things (since I seldom use it to remove engines anymore),but it's cumbersome. I have a small antique stand on forklift,but the tower is taller than my shop door & it isn't running and I'm probably going to swap it off anyway. I just found a deal on a small newer forklift that runs on propane anyway (but it won't go thru the shop door either).

I'm still going to go to HF and look that contraption over...It's too simple a design to ignore... and I like it's compactness...Thanks for pointing it out.

I can picture where you're headed with this...should be an interesting project to watch. Is that hydraulic cylinder like the 8T unit used on the engine hoists they sell? If it is they have a air over hydraulic cylinder the same size on sale for around $80. Good Luck
Old 12-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Voice of Experience

Hell yes. You don't have enough projects waiting. What's one more...

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 12-12-2009, 03:07 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe1942 View Post
lol
That was cold, Moe.
I do have to add that if you don't have a real forklift then a forksnatch is awfully handy for small jobs however you go about it.
I really don't know what I'd do without my little Whiteboy and I don't expect I'll ever build anything else that'll be as satisfying or as useful.
He has far exceeded what I expected to achieve.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 12-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
If it is they have a air over hydraulic cylinder the same size on sale for around $80.
I've already bought one for another project that's 'just waitin'.

I've looked into making a duel sliding fit post to get at least 5' of lift and will keep a 6' limit on floot to bottom of the fork height. 6' will be scary enough for anything over 200 lbs anyway.

I'm thinking something like this could be hinged to fit on a bumper on the back of a truck and once a load is picked up and strap'd to the forks and tube rack, it could be laid back into the pickup bed. If of course what you've picked up is able to be laid on it's side.

I know it's going to be fit to the back of the SA's for use around as well.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Cutter, is he giving me crap or is it more like he understands?

Rod, there is not a weekend that goes by that I could not use my very own 'WhiteBoy' out here and I'm equally sure that Pop could make as much use/need for it as he has that ragged out old 3 wheeler I bought for him several years ago.

He has run the wheels off this thing around the place. I can't get him to agree (downtime timeline) to let me pull the engine and drive train to have it rebuilt and repaired. Reverse disappeared a year or so back and the cam chain is about to tie itself in a knot. I guess when it blows, we'll just buy/find another one.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:07 PM
More STEAM!!

That would be kind of handy with a table between the forks and my RT sitting on it. When the RT is needed slide the vice off of the mill and the RT on to the mill.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Cranky Crustacean

It would make a cool height adjustable welding table by adding a steel table platform that could be removed when not in use.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:28 PM
That HURT!

I coud see putting some pins on it and attaching it to the tractors 3-point hitch. That should take care of the rough terrain part.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Elite Member

They are called pallet stackers.
Basically they are walk behind lift trucks.
They take up a lot less room than a sit on lift truck.
The lift and drive can be electric or manual.
Pretty cheap on e-bay.
Smooth floors only though.