Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 12-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Lord of the Minions

Default Dewalt handheld bandsaw DWM120

Having a particular need for one the other night and after first trying to make my cuts with a saw'sall, I ran to Lowes and picked one up.

No discounts, out the door at $299 +tax. While that may not be a bargain, had I shopped around, but at least it made short quick work out of what needed to be done.

I'm fairly impressed with the little thing. Variable speed by use of the trigger and a thumb wheel.

It just so happens that I was going to be doing the cutting outside away from yard or shop lights, I was surprised and happy to see that the saw has a very bright light just above and to the front end of the saw blade open area. That sucker is bright enough to allow you to see a cut line easily. Well placed and bright.

I was a little disappointed to read on the box while buying it that it did not come with a carrying case as it seems it should for the price.

It made 30 or so cuts on 2 7/8" pipe on the same supplied blade(using oil), which I find impressive in itself. Spare blades off the shelf at Lowes were $18 and some change, but I bought enough to hold me for a fair time anyway.

Cutting 30' joints of pipe to 20' that were welded to pipe posts on a fence allowed me to make off like a bandit in short order. Using the torch would have surely started a fire with all the dead grass and weeds in the pasture which was the main concern to me and the property owner. I like free freshly painted pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001 (Small).JPG
Views:	336
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	53820   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0002 (Small).JPG
Views:	455
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	53821   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0003 (Small).JPG
Views:	334
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	53822   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0004 (Small).JPG
Views:	356
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	53823  

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:58 PM
Tuned-Up Big Builder

See LW, there ya' go. I like it. Now you won't have any problem knowing what to get me for Christmas.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Cutting 30' joints of pipe to 20' that were welded to pipe posts on a fence allowed me to make off like a bandit in short order.
Isn't it great when you get a tool and it exceeds your expectations! I love all the little lights they are adding to drills and saws. It seems like such a trivial thing until you begin to use the tool in real life and not a well lite showroom. It's worth every penny of the price if you can go home earlier but I do agree, a case should be included.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mild Steel View Post
Isn't it great when you get a tool and it exceeds your expectations!
I have to agree that $300 for a saw you're happy with is a heck of a lot better bargain (even if you lost a few bucks by not shopping around) than spending $70 like I did a couple of years ago to review & post a thread for the HF POS portaband that ate itself up in about 2-3 hours use.

Glad you like it, Jef. Nice review for TommyA's collection, too.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 12-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Lord of the Minions

Thumbs up

At times, after years of buying one brand of electric tethered or cordless tools, you'd think I was 'brand loyal', but in fact I really don't think I am. But looking at the selection of DeWalt black plastic boxes, you'd think I've made that statement very clear.

In my neck 'O' the woods, if it's close to 4pm and your in need, driving anywhere that closes at 5 is not an option. Anywhere in Lafayette you could make in 15 minutes, if there was no traffic. With traffic adds another 30 minutes on top of the 15, so, you normally have to wait till the next day/morning. Sometimes, it just 'ain't' worth the wait or the aggrivation of fighting others on the road.

FWIW, just having this thing handy while finishing up with the cabinet upgrades for locking, I've used it several times in lieu of a 'hack saw', pulling out the 'plasma cutter' or having to grind anything after the fact.

While it will not replace my needs for the HF floor band saw, the chop saw or the gas ax etc, it will be a handy go to tool for sure. I guess my not having one in the recent past was from just not spending the money to buy one.

It's like having a trained monkey using a manual hacksaw, only faster and with less aggrivation of dealing with the training of the monkey.

I'll offer that before yesterday, I had never held one of these saws and am now sold on having one and would replace it with another on a moments notice if the need present itself.

It has to be one of the most handy tools one could have in a small home/farm/hobby shop for sure. No wasted floor space for storage and it's not a bear to pull out, set up and use. Highly recommended must have in my eyes.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Isn't it great when you get a tool and it exceeds your expectations! I love all the little lights they are adding to drills and saws.
That brings up a great point about the newer tooling out there.

When I bought my last radial arm (wood) saw, it came with the 'laser' light that would turn on while the blad spins. I removed it from the blade set up due to my feelings of it's not being needed. Hell, I can see the cut mark with the pencil just freakin fine thank you very much.

Well, that was 7 or 8 years ago and now, after just finding it sitting in the plastic baggy hanging on the cabinet wall, I'm going to reinstall it. Hell, I can't see my cut pencil marks worth a darn now.

Having to nudge the board/piece a smidge by smidge by the blade nicking close, well, I can see the laser being needed. Old age and hard headedness does keep me behind the curve and it's a constant fight to realize my limitations because of them.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Boiler God

Jef,

The saw looks good, I have a couple of the Milwaukee "deep throat" porta-band saws, and use them constantly. They are a great saw, and have many uses.

Jack
Old 12-06-2009, 12:39 PM

LW,

Here's a great upgrade to your saw. I did my milwaukee and loved it sooo much I purchased another saw so I wouldn't have to remove the table.

www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=717910

Randy

Tool's,...................
Too much to list.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to Greenbuggy

I have a similar dewalt saw, one thing you should know about it is that the milwaukee blades will fit but you will fight tooth and nail trying to cut a straight line. Turns out the bearings are spaced .025 in case you want to use dewalts "heavy duty" blades, whereas all the milwaukee portaband and generic portaband blades are .020" thick. I posted a thread about it a while ago when I got mine:

http://shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20594
http://shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21258
Old 12-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I have a similar dewalt saw, one thing you should know about it is that the milwaukee blades will fit but you will fight tooth and nail trying to cut a straight line. Turns out the bearings are spaced .025 in case you want to use dewalts "heavy duty" blades, whereas all the milwaukee portaband and generic portaband blades are .020" thick.
G'B', of note is the fact that my owners manual/paper specifically states that I cannot use those blades of .025" thick, but only may use the .020" thick.

Now, concerning the narrower blades that this saw uses, even in the dark conditions I was working in, keeping the cuts fairly straight was not a problem. Letting the saw find it's own feed rate let the cuts happen and chattering nil. I'd imagine that a stiffer blade would have it's benefits, but for now, I'm thinking the thinner blades will do just dandy fine.