Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 11-29-2009, 06:53 AM

Default Wellsaw model 600

I've been looking in the local craigs list in search of a decent metal bandsaw {Didn't want any Harbor freight or cheap china imports} and saw a listing a few weeks ago under the business section with a picture of some welding accesories welding table, metal storage rack and the bandsaw.No description or price so I email the person and we made plans to meet this morning so after a 2.5 hr drive we load the saw onto my trailer and I'm back on the road heading home with my new old saw.After unloading it off the trailer luckly (I didn't need my tractor ) since it had wheel casters on each leg and was able to wheel it down the trailer ramp.It looks to be in good shape other than needing a need blade and I noticed the auto shut-off doesn't stop the blade after the cut is finished.The older gentleman I got it from was in the masonary business said he didn't use it much and just sat in his garage.

I've seen a few posts about the older wellsaw and wondered if anyone knows the correct blade length and width I was able to get some information from the wellsaw support page and for my serial # 10956 looks like I need a 98 1/2 x 5/8 x 032 but that seems like and odd size would the lenox 3/4 X 035 inch bi metal blade work also would a 98 inch blade work?

I cut a few pieces of 3/8" 6 inch flat plate and even with the old blade it still did a very good job.....nice straight cuts, no bearing noises. Now I can give my makita 14 inch chop saw a break and use the band saw for the heavy stuff. Here's a few pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	53441   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	53442   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	53443   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	53444   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	53445  

Old 11-29-2009, 06:59 AM

Default Few more pics

A few more Pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0007.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	53446   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0011.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	53447   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	53448   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0013.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	53449   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0014.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	53450  

Old 11-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Sultan of Scrounge

NICE looking saw
Old 11-29-2009, 08:37 AM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

And the PRICE was?
Old 11-29-2009, 09:44 AM

Price was $ 275 for the saw and came with a 5ft roller table and a smaller single roller stand.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:05 AM
The Real Deal

Yours is a little newer than mine, notice the blade tensioner is different. Nice saw
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	after.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	53469  
Old 11-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcckkey View Post
Price was $ 275 for the saw and came with a 5ft roller table and a smaller single roller stand.
mcc, I really appreciate your timing in posting this report.
Quite a coincidence. I'm supposed to go look at a Wellsaw tomorrow, though it may not be the same model I suspect it's going to be out of the same tribe.
I'm trying to help a friend and fellow member find himself some kind of keeper saw for his retirement shop he's putting together in anticipation of that happy day. He's in no big hurry and wants to try to do a little better than the generic 4 x 6.

That looks like just the kind of tough little guy a man could be proud to own. But the price you paid tells me I'm probably going to advise he pass on the prospect I'll be checking out tomorrow.

Thank you and welcome to SFT.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 11-29-2009, 03:08 PM

I've got that exact same saw, except mine still has original paint, and the 98 1/2" blade is the correct size. When I bought mine, it had a 1/2 x.035 balde on it for wood. I run a .035"x 98 1/2" x 3/4" 10/14 Ellis bi-metal in mine. I don't know about running a 98" blade, but I suppose it could be done. When I order blades from my LWS, it's a stock order anyhow so common size or not wouldn't get it me any faster. I paid $300 for mine in Aug of 08', but you defiantely got a good deal if it came w/ the table and stand. They're a good saw, cut nice and straight, and can cut large iron considering their fairly compact size.

P.S. I just re-read the part about the auto-shutoff not working. If you can figure out how to make work, please, please tell me. I messed with mine for awhile, but gave up on it. Also, here's a link to my posting of my saw.
http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=16012

"Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved." William Jennings Bryan

Last edited by trukfan; 11-29-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:05 PM

Cutter; let me know how the saw pans out tomorrow.....

trukfan; thanks for the heads up on the ellis 3/4 " bi-metal blade I''ll contact them this week and try to get a new blade on the way.I recall seeing your post about the model 600 and when I saw how compact and well built it was I started searching for a project saw to fix up and use.I'm thinking I'll just replace the broken auto stop with the replacement single phase magnetic I saw on the wellsaw parts list.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:16 PM
American Tools Keep Americans Working

Very nice saw

Quote:
Didn't want any Harbor freight or cheap china imports
Gotta watch who you say that around

Quote:
looks like I need a 98 1/2 x 5/8 x 032 but that seems like and odd size
Look in the M K Morse catalog (3MB). They offer a Matrix II bi-metal blade in 0 degree rake, 5/8 x .035, with a variable pitch of 3/4 (part #3953349624, if I read the chart correctly). Stacey at DCT can order this for you, phone 800.235.0637

The 3/4 pitch is for heavier solids, like 2" to 4" stock, or pipe with 1" wall thickness. You'll also want a blade with more teeth for thinner material. Your saw will not know the difference between .032 and .035