Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 10-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Boiler God

Default Kodak M341 Digital Camera

Today out of necessity I had to get a new digital camera. The son "borrowed" the other one and "happened" to take in back to Washington, DC, with him. He called today to apologize, and said he would mail it back when he was done with it, then let loose with a evil laugh. So his mother decided instead of sending it back, for him to keep it and she would get me a new one. So off I went to Best Buys, and ended up buying another Kodak camera, the previous one was flawless. The new one is a Kodak M341 digital camera, a 12.2 megapixel unit, that uses a SD memory card, and is very similar in size to the previous 7 megapixel unit. The unit was about $150. I haven't used it much yet, but the interface is the same as the other unit, so I don't expect problems.

jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kodak M341 Digital Camera 002x.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	51502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kodak M341 Digital Camera 003x.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	51503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kodak M341 Digital Camera 005x.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	51504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kodak M341 Digital Camera 007x.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	51505  
Old 10-12-2009, 08:08 PM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

I have had two similar to that. You have to keep the lens extenson clean or it will bind and lock. The one I am using now i keep in a small flannel bag to help Keep it clean.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Curmudgeon

Jack, except for the selector knob on top that looks exactly like my Fuji I bought last spring.
I bet they're made in the same assembly line.
Mine won't take it's own picture though.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 10-12-2009, 08:37 PM

What kind of movie files does it make? Yours too Cutter. I've been wanting a small camera for the shop/hunting/etc.

The wife's fancy camera does Quicktime only. I guess that is not favorable for posting clips on SFT.

Don
Old 10-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
Jack, except for the selector knob on top that looks exactly like my Fuji I bought last spring.
I bet they're made in the same assembly line.
Mine won't take it's own picture though.
I finally had to use the wife's camera for the picture, because no matter how hard I tried, the self portrait was very blurry.

jack
Old 10-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Curmudgeon

Mine outputs in .AVI format, Don.
That works for me because Windows Movie Maker will deal with it & that makes it easy for me to edit.
The Fuji J20 cost me about $140 at Target plus another $15-$20 for the card reader, which I also highly recommend.
It also has a rechargeable lithium ion battery & an 2 gig memory card. The battery runs forever and the card will hold as much as I care to screw with.
It's no superduper camera if you're a camera fanatic but for that kind of money I think its a bargain. I use it set on the 3rd lowest resolution to make the image files easy to handle.

If the Kodak name feels better to you, fine & dandy but I bet there's not a dollar's worth of difference in Kodak, Canon or Fuji or any other brand in this price range. (except maybe for the video format. )

Quicktime is a Mac/apple application.
What kind of camera is your wife's?

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 10-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_S View Post
What kind of movie files does it make? Yours too Cutter. I've been wanting a small camera for the shop/hunting/etc.

The wife's fancy camera does Quicktime only. I guess that is not favorable for posting clips on SFT.

Don
Take a Google look at Flip HD for movies. Fits in a flannel bag and slips into a shirt pocket.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post

Quicktime is a Mac/apple application.
What kind of camera is your wife's?
It's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18. It's one of those super zoom near SLR type cameras. We have the Sony equivalent at work and that one is the cat's meow for macro shots. She wanted something she could take pictures at the kid's programs without having to stand in front of everybody to get a decent shot.

We had on old Canon Powershot A40 I think that I really liked but the sensor that takes the image doesn't work.

Don