Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 06-01-2009, 05:56 AM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

Default Make it soft?

I am turning down a tool holder. It is a Grizzly MT3 that holds a 3/8" end mill. I need to turn the outside down to 3/4" to make an alignment tool. I sawed it off just above the set screw and that left a little over an inch to turn. I have made several passes and now it is 1.45" at this rate it will take a long time to get it done, is very hard and the lathe is working hard to take off
.010" per pass. I am going to heat it this morning to soften it. What color do I need to get to get it softer. I will not need to harden it later, it is only for an alignment. I am using HSS after trying carbide. The carbide insert seemed to want to rub instead of cut. It does not have to have a pretty finish but it has to be precise.

The next problem will be getting it out of the holder. It does not have a straight tang on the end and a drift will not touch it. I may be able to put a small ball bearing on the end where the threads are and then use a drift.

Everyone pray for me, I will have several boxes come this week in the brown truck and I am sure the wife is going to feel she is getting behind. Don't say buy her something, she can spot a bribe a long way off. The first time the brown truck comes I am going to talk him into dropping my stuff off at Judge Bob's this week. He is starting to curry favors for next years election and that might work. I could pick it up at his place, get rid of the boxes and haul it home on the back of the truck and that would work much better. I will have to have help with a 75# rotary table and that might cause an alarm to go off.

I am wanting to put in a security camera but she might find it works for her too.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:14 AM

Smile annealing

ah ha- now it is my turn- no pun intended- if you heat the tool steel or any other tempered steel till the color turns brown it will be back at what it started before being hardened and tempered. If you then put it in sand and let it cool slowly it will be annealed. It must be heated slowly and evenly, if you heat a piece of flatbar with the piece on top if will absorb the heat slower but the colors have to be watched- first straw color, after blue watch it, brown is the last color- chuck
Old 06-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

OM, to make it soft, put a pebble in your shoe.

Makes you limp.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 06-01-2009, 10:33 AM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
Everyone pray for me, I will have several boxes come this week in the brown truck and I am sure the wife is going to feel she is getting behind.
You got a problem alright. Better do something to keep her from feeling she is behind.

Quote:
Don't say buy her something, she can spot a bribe a long way off. The first time the brown truck comes I am going to talk him into dropping my stuff off at Judge Bob's this week. He is starting to curry favors for next years election and that might work. I could pick it up at his place, get rid of the boxes and haul it home on the back of the truck and that would work much better. I will have to have help with a 75# rotary table and that might cause an alarm to go off.

Go to UPS website, if you have the tracking number, to see if it is possible to temporarily change the shipping address. It may be impossbile to do so, but worth a try since you seem to headed into a wife problem.

Otherwise, figure out some errands and/or trips to somewhere when item delivery is due.

Barack Hussein Obama is our enemies favorite candidate

In time the right project will find the scrap pile, no need for the scrap pile to go out looking for a project.

http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24981

http://tosettherecordstraight.com/index.php
Old 06-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

I find that honesty in these situations is much better than trickery... Tell her you're holding them for a friend. He's shipping them to you for safe keeping

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 06-01-2009, 11:38 AM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
OM, to make it soft, put a pebble in your shoe.

Makes you limp.
Well, that didn't help.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Gold Star Dad

I would think you need to go a bit beyond deep blue, but colors don't always come out the same for various steels.

http://www.anvilfire.com/index.php?b...0anvilfire.com
Old 06-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Curmudgeon

Jerry, once upon a time I needed to anneal some tool steel so I could cut it with a hacksaw.
I read that for those of us who can't see these varirations in color, you can test it with a magnet as you heat it; when the magnet loses interest in the steel, you're there.

So I attached a little magnet to a rod, used a charcoal fire & the blower side of an old canister vacuum cleaner as bellows and did just that.
Sure 'nuff, at a certain point, the steel lost its attraction to the magnet. I buried my tool steel in a bucket of ashes & left it over night.
I guess it worked because I was able to saw it & file it into the shape I wanted.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 06-01-2009, 12:54 PM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

Heated, cooled, turned, finished. Thanks, Jerry
Old 06-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Gold Star Dad

OK, OK, how hot did you get it? Into the gray, or just glowing, or ?