Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 10-25-2008, 10:37 PM

Default cordless angle grinders

hey who has cordless 4 1/4 inch angle grinders they use...what brands...and what voltage...God i'm tired of tripping over cords...Help me with advice...Jeff
Old 10-26-2008, 07:13 AM
Boiler God

I bought the cordless Milwaukee, 24v, just about useless, awkward, cumbersome, big, very heavy and absolutely eats batteries. For me to keep it in operation, I'd need one of these 20 position gang battery charger, to keep enough batteries charge to make it worth while.

Jack
Old 10-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Post Fiend

Default RE: Ryobi 18V Grinder Review

I've had my Ryobi 18V grinder for a couple? years now and have nothing but praise for it. Well recommended if you own the Ryobi 18V "One+" tools already. I reviewed it soon after I bought it below.

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...hlight=grinder

PS: I should add that I hold it "one handed" and squeeze the trigger with my pinky/ring finger and that has been working fine for me.
PPS: Another important item I neglected to mention in the review is that it only spins at 6,500rpm compared to a corded 10,000rpm.
PPS: I find it especially useful for cutting padlocks off with a skinning blade.

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...

Last edited by mccutter; 10-26-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Elite Member

I used a dewalt with a cut off wheel on it and in this one particular situation it worked ok.... I could have done the same with a hack saw and taken about the same amount of time but the dewalt was easier to find this time.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America for an amount of "up to and including my life."
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:07 AM

I use the dewalt 18v usually with cut off wheels. It eats batterys so I always have an extra with me. It is used only when I can't get power to what I need to work on.

Kelly
Old 10-26-2008, 10:43 AM
jhill

I have a Dewalt 18V that I use mainly for grinding. It is very handy for small quick jobs but not as powerfull as a corded grinder.

Jerry
Old 10-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Director: Fish Seduction

The only one I've ever used was the DeWalt. We used it to cut the tops of metal fence posts off level after the rails were set so they'd all be the same height in relation to the fence. It was a very awkward job and couldn't have gotten by any other way. The guy leading the job added the cost of the tool and extra batteries into the job--the homeowner was that picky about it.

It worked well on the thin gauge metal poles with a cutoff wheel. It was slow going compared to a corded one. I've put off buying one of my own just because of the lack of performance. The need has never justified the cost. It is one of the few One+ tools that I do not own, as I can buy many extension cords for the cost of the tool...

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 10-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Director of Product Reviews

I bought the Ryobi after I bought the Ryobi cordless set so I was already equipped with batteries and chargers. I use the grinder when I installed three point drive shafts on tractors. The drive shafts often needed to be shortened and then dress the cut end to slide in or over the other side. I often use it with a different wheel than the corded version in the shop to prevent wheel changes.

Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call,
Wanted to sail upon your waters
since I was three feet tall.
You've seen it all, you've seen it all.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Tender Member

I have always got the impression that the cordless angle grinders are only for a quick job. The batteries only last a short time and run down fast. They never have had much power and are fairly slow at grinding metal. Save your money and use a corded angle grinder.

also, there have been talks about these on here before. I tried to find the links to them but could not. All I found was mccutters link.

Hypertherm 600
HH125 EZ
MM 350P
TB 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist.

Last edited by ace4059; 10-26-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:54 PM
set phasers to .50 caliber

I had the DeWalt 18V and as mentioned, it was a battery eater, but it got the job done when it needed to. This year, I've been using the Makita 18V Li-Ion system (and just ordered a kit for myself) and it's twice the grinder of the DeWalt Ni-Cd. These days, except for my SDS-Max, I'm pretty much all cordless with Makita Li-Ion. Though I still have corded grinders for most shop work, just cause they stay plugged in and handy, each with different wheels.