Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 10-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Boiler God

Default Husky 3/8" Pneumatic Drill

The job at the drug company along the Canadian border is done, a year late and $54,000 over budget, this is what happens when you forget to include labor as part of your bid and leave some of the required parts out. But I digress. During the job, I had to drill and tap about 1500 holes per boiler, mostly 10-32 and some 8-32, the tool of choice ended up being a Husky model # H 4822, a 3/8" reversible air drill. I would drill about 50 holes with a 5/32" SKF/Dormer cobalt drill bit, the install the Bessy 10-32 2 flute spiral piont tap and thread all of the holes, then more layout, the start drilling and tapping all over again. I found the chuck to be of real good quality, no visible name, but a very smooth action and didn't let the drill of tap slip. I never had a real problem with the drill, the forward-reverse switch, has a positive feel and is easy to operate with a work glove on, necessary as the drill got very cold because of the compressed air. The only down side of the tool, is that after a while the exhaust noise will wear on you, especially inside a control cabinet. You can guess because of the Husky name, it was bought at the Home Depot, cost was about $45. I used a 15' lightweight PVC air hose whip, to gain some flexiblity and not have to fight a bulky air house. I ended up going to the air drill after the drilling and tapping the holes on the first boiler, completely beat up both of my Milwaukee 18V cordless drills, and it also ended up being much lighter in weight.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Husky air drill 001x.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	36883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Husky air drill 003x.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	36884  
Old 10-19-2008, 10:36 AM

Default Thanks Jack!

Nice writeup Jack. Thank you for posting. I bought one of these a year ago but haven't used it yet. Glad to hear it's going to be a winner.

Would be nice to see a section of this group be dedicated to such writeups as they do help in making tool buying decisions for others.

Alan
Old 10-19-2008, 02:46 PM
there has to be an answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadlinear View Post
Would be nice to see a section of this group be dedicated to such writeups as they do help in making tool buying decisions for others.
There is an Product/Equipment Review Index. It is in WELDING AND METALWORKING FORUMS > EQUIPMENT SUPPLIERS AND OEMS.

There is a ton of good info there.

Platypus - That's why Sales Types call them "estimates" not "actuals". :evil::evil:
Oh, the carnage that can be created with spreadsheets. :evil:
Old 10-19-2008, 06:16 PM

Default Thanks Bill

I'd never seen that before. It's now a fav spot for reference. Thanks !!

Alan
Old 10-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Curmudgeon

That's a lot of holes for a tool review.

Jack, were those photos taken before or after the job?

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 10-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Boiler God

Can't you tell? They were taken before, right after I bought it, it doesn't look as clean now, the grip is now somewhat chewed up. But the drill still works the same.

Jack
Old 10-22-2008, 03:19 AM
Tender Member

Jack,
when I was at Home depot today I looked for that drill to inspect it. I did find it and homedepot has replaced all their airtools with new models since I was in there last. I did see the crappy impact wrench (there is a review somewhere one here about it) and I did not even see the good husky 1/2" impact wrench that had the lifetime warranty. All the new air tools looked very cheap and crappy made.

So I guess if you can find the better air tools at your HD, then you better get it if you need them, because I bet every HD replaces them with the new and crappy models.

-Ryan

Hypertherm 600
HH125 EZ
MM 350P
TB 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Director: Fish Seduction

Good call ace. I was in there yesterday and noticed they'd completely re-racked the entire air tool display. They didn't have Jack's air drill either. I've got a bit stuck in mine, and it only goes forward anyhow...

Wade's Custom Kydex