Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 10-19-2008, 09:45 AM
set phasers to .50 caliber

Default Mitering Bandsaw

Anyone have experience with this particular type of bandsaw? I'm looking at this one from Grizzly, but am not committed to any make or model.

My new shop that I move into next week when I get back to Vegas will need to be more quiet than my last one so I expect to make much more use of a bandsaw than the chopsaw this time.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-x-...vel-Head/G9742
Old 10-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

Isn't that the Grizzly vesion of Cutter's saw?? Cutter?

Aww, just get yerself an Ellis 1600. Its only money afterall.

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 10-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Curmudgeon

Yep, atsa my little saw.

Mac, I evidently got a heck of a deal on mine - $189 plus tax but that was a couple of years ago and I bought the only one they brought to town in the traveling gypsie tool tent sale.

I see the the price has changed a bit: Homier 0311 bandsaw

I can still say it's done everything I've asked of it; the stand is a good bit better than a Harbor Freight 4 x 6, with a decent blade the little saw cuts fast and I've had no complaints about the accuracy. The mitering swivel part is good except I will say that the cam lock part of it is rough; I usually have to use an allen wrench on the screw that holds the lever. I don't know how I could explain that adequately without a lot of typing, pictures and trouble but it is not a major flaw, just the result of the usual Chinese rough castings.

I do like the quick adjust vise. It has performed flawlessly so far though I had been warned that the half nut was a possible weak point. There are some allen screws in the work stop that could be better but I seldom use it; if it was really important to me I would at least replace those screws with some with deeper sockets, thumbscrews or something. The motor on mine runs warm but not hot like a lot of the imports. The switch and auto shutoff has worked just fine too.

I did have to build a new motor mount when I took it out of the box but that was not a design flaw; some factory dude over-tightened the mounting bolts. They are supposed to have enough slack to allow the base plate to swivel but they tightened them down and snapped a casting.

The one thing I would most like to change is the metering on the cylinder - it's way too touchy.

As always, remember to clean out the gearbox, inspect for sand & shavings & replace the oil. It's made in China.

If you got half an hour to kill, you can read the old threads here: SlagKing & Cutter Show

and here: Homier 4 x 6

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 10-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Gold Star Dad

I so wanted one of these particular Homier saws when they were $199. I kept looking for a tent sale, but they seem to have stopped coming to Richmond.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:18 PM
set phasers to .50 caliber

Cool. So no reason why the Grizzly would be worth $100 more, right? Looks like that's the one to get.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Curmudgeon

Grizzley, Shop Fox & Homier all the same as far as I can tell.

Shop Fox has purtier paint.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 10-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Tender Member

I have that grizzly. But it is an older model that cost me $600 to my door. It was well worth it. If you get it, you will need to fix a few thing. the hydraulic cylinder is crap I went thought 2 of them and just said forget it. Grizzly has very good customer service and sent me three hydraulic cylinders. they would have keep sending me more but I got tired of replacing them for leaking. The lock nut that hold the cylinder on has to be tightened about once a month. The "kill" switch needs improvement. It either kills the motor before it is all the way through, or doesn't kill the motor at all. I took mine off.

Other that that I think it is a very good saw and it is fairly accurate. My saw is only off 2 degrees on the ring so if I need a 45 degree cut I know to set it at about 43.

Anyways, I could not recommend anything else for the money. I dont know about the other saws that look about the same, But grizzly has the BEST customer service.
if you have any specific questions just ask
-Ryan

Hypertherm 600
HH125 EZ
MM 350P
TB 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist.