Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 10-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Director: Apprentice Gatekeeper

Default Husky 3/8" Air Impact

Well, let's just put it this way. Don't buy it. The choice you make regarding reading the rest of this rant was your own.

The harmonic balancer broke in my wife's Bronco on Friday. After getting down to the part, there was no way I could break the bolts loose holding it on without an impact and my IR 1/2" was just too long to fit between the radiator and the crank pulley. I slacked off the rest of the evening and put the fix off until Saturday morning.

Sleeping a little later than I planned, I missed the operating hours at Texas Tool, a semi-industrial tool supplier here in town. Great place, rarely a complaint excepting their prices on occasion.

I swung by HF and just couldn't bring myself to pay $40 for their cheapest impact. I figured it would be worth my time to find another one. My next stop was of course Home Depot (it's on the route) and I looked closely at the Husky displays and decided I'd take the chance even though the plastic rub ring on the case was broken loose. At $59, it certainly wasn't a bargain but I figured it'd at least do the job. I also picked up a handful of new quick connects as I've had bad luck with the HF ones lately. One of these was a swivel type, and it did incredibly well in this application.

Within seconds of opening the box, I could tell that the rub ring was a problem on all of them rather than just the one's that have been manhandled at the store. It didn't take long for it to fall off while installing the quick connect. Another quick observation was that the female end connector on the gun spun loose as I tried to hand screw the pieces together. Cheap, rinky-dink, plastic crap.

Still was willing to give it a try, I needed the bolts out. Hooked it up to the compressor and I was immediately coated with a nice layer of oil. It happens sometimes, didn't give it much thought until I pulled the trigger trying to rid the gun of any extra lube that might've been in there. I didn't pre-oil so everything was from the factory. It continued exhausting oil and I finally gave up and put it over a bolt to see how it'd work. As should've been expected after my hour long struggle with the impact--not a single bolt loosened.

I retrieved my socket from it's end, unscrewed the swivel connector, and tossed the Husky POS down on my trailer. I managed to find a shorter socket to fit on my big impact and get the truck apart and repaired, and took the impact back to HD this morning...

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 10-14-2008, 03:28 PM
American Tools Keep Americans Working

I bought the little IR231, less than $100 new on eBay. A pretty decent small impact, with more power than you'd think.

Quote:
took the impact back to HD this morning...
At least you kept the receipt
Old 10-14-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
I bought the little IR231, less than $100 new on eBay. A pretty decent small impact, with more power than you'd think.

At least you kept the receipt
Always keep receipts for tools, no matter who/where you get them from. Most warranty policies require it before the warranty centers will even touch a repair. Plus, I read a sig line on my fishing forum, something to the effect of "When I die, my biggest fear is that my wife will sell my equipment for what I told HER I paid for it". All mine go into a little lock box, just so she can't look until that day comes .

I'm pretty sure that Texas Tool sells IR pneumatics, and that was my plan. I may end up buying one now off eBay but I try and price check and give my business to the guys here first. It'll be nice having a new tool .

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 10-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Director of Product Reviews

Dubby I believe that Husky has a few good tools that I would buy again in a heart beat. Would you place this as a one tool that Husky just doesn't meet the quality it should?

Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call,
Wanted to sail upon your waters
since I was three feet tall.
You've seen it all, you've seen it all.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
I bought the little IR231, less than $100 new on eBay.
Yes you did ..... I may just repair my little campbell hausfeld 3/8 impact now... it did fine untill I ran it too long at one time on a bolt way too big for it

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America for an amount of "up to and including my life."
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:07 PM

I find that the Husky name is just as usable as Craftsman. They're willing to put it on just about anything they can get away with, cheap or not. I've got a number of their hand tools, mostly ratchets and sockets. The "black" sets are decent, but the chrome ones are hit and miss. Although they're a good value, and sometimes a steal, they have a tendency to be far less than I expect from the name.

I think in the case of this impact, it's just a cheap product that they can put a relatively huge markup on. They were willing to risk it, and I'm sure they'll sell more than a few. It is a good-looking tool, until the pieces start falling off.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 10-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Boiler God

A while back I bought from a urban wholesaler, selling out of the trunk of his car (with an ever changing inventory), a set if the I-R composite bodied impact wrenches, the 1/2" is a beast, and I use it quite a bit, the 3/8" impact had a serious design flaw, the no load speed is way too high, it will snap off 3/8" and 1/2" bolts with reckless abandon, I've broken too many bolts with it, its stays in the drawer of the tool box and I use the old I-R 231. I have a Husky 3/8" air ratchet and its been beaten repeatedly and keep coming back for more. The only problem I had with it was when I bought it, it seemed to be packed with something like corn oil, and it had gone rancid, the smell was terrible, and lasted for about the first 2 weeks, every time I used it.

Jack
Old 10-15-2008, 12:40 AM
Tender Member

I would like to say that my dad bought my brother-in-law a husky 1/2" air wrench when he opened his shop. He didnt have any air tools so my dad bought him a few. I used the 1/2" wrench and it seemed ok. It was the heavy duty one that is all composite body and was about $140. It has a lifetime warranty and as far as I know he still has it. He did replace it with a snap on 1/2" about 3 years after opening. This has been about 5 years ago, so maybe the quality has gone down.
Was your a metal body or the composite bodied one?

here is the same one he has
http://www.a1toolstore.net/servlet/t...mposite/Detail

was yours like this, just in the 3/8".

Hypertherm 600
HH125 EZ
MM 350P
TB 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:31 AM

Nope, wasn't like that at all.

After browsing both the Husky home page as well as the HD shopping pages, I cannot find the one I had listed. Maybe they've discontinued it? It wasn't marked down on the shelves so I find it unlikely.

I don't believe it was composite, rather painted or coated metal. It was black with a 1/8" plastic trim ring around the tail end.

The oil sounds very similar Jack, though this one was without noticeable smell. There's not a single spot under my hood that isn't covered with splatter from it now. I don't think there was a way to drain it other than purging air through it. I wouldn't have had two weeks to wait for it to clear. Nasty stuff.

Wade's Custom Kydex