Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 09-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Voice of Experience

Default Guardian generator

I've mentioned my problem in other threads but felt it was important enough to start a thread.

My 15KW Guardian standby gen died at the beginning of Gustav. Got just shy of seven hours before the lights went out. The teach diagnosed what I suspected. The stator and/or rotor are open.

When I first got the gen I saw a real design flaw. There is virtually no cooling to the alternator. This was confirmed by the dealer yesterday. Said he has a slew of them down with the same problem. Generac is aware of it also.

I did contact Generac and they have replied saying they will look into it and help me if they can. Although it was out of warranty it only had 57 hrs on it. In La. we have expanded rights regarding warranties so if they dummy up I'll pursue that route.

I would caution anyone considering one to check it out carefully. I have not found any mention of this problem on the net, but if it is common in my small area It is happening elswhere. Seems the problem is greater in the South where temps are higher. Even if they fix it I still have the same problem until I modify it..

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 09-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Da Chief

Moe, My 17 KW has huge cooling air ducts, one for the engine and exhuast and another for the gen end. Looks like it will cool just fine. Have you heard of any problems with the 17's in your area? Do you know any sites or userboards I could/should check with?

The only issue I found on my unit is battery placement, Guardian put it inside the cabinet, right under the control PC board. When I questioned the dealer about this, he admitted that he had seen a battery explosion wipe out the board and spew acid all over the inside of the enclosure, but that was a 10 K unit, same enclosure and battery placement as mine. I made up longer cables for my unit, and will move the battery out of the enclosure, into it's own, hard mounted ,plastic battery box, just to be safe. Thanks, RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 09-13-2008, 08:36 PM
trust but verify

Thanks for the warning.

I'm convinced that if I need an emergency generator I'll get an engine-driven welder instead. They can take more abuse, parts support is easier, and I'll be able to weld with it when not waiting for calamity to strike.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:17 PM

I bought my Ranger GXT for exactly that reason! Good multi-purpous welder and durable emergency power. Particularly as my plans include re-locating to FL in the future.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Voice of Experience

Red I haven't heard of any problems with the 17KW. They are new and I think they have fixed the cooling problem. The local dealer said the Generac people were all over this problem like OJ's glove. But there are still quite a few older units in inventory. And the 17KW haven't been on the scene long enough to get data. Hope you have good luck with yours.

The engine has a good air intake duct but none for the gen. I can only imagine how hot it gets being in the same enclosure as the muffler..I'm waiting on Generac now. Hope this story has a happy ending..

Old 09-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Lord of the Minions

Moe, we all know how often you dust off your digital camera and actually take a picture, but could you, just this once, take a picture of the unit and the offending un-cool alternator?

Red, same goes for you. I'd like to see the 17 kw innerds as well.

LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 09-14-2008, 07:44 PM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe1942 View Post
When I first got the gen I saw a real design flaw. There is virtually no cooling to the alternator. This was confirmed by the dealer yesterday. Said he has a slew of them down with the same problem. Generac is aware of it also.
If your generator is running hot or in hot weather, use an electric house fan to help cool the generator.
Just don't blow the carbon monoxide into the house.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:44 PM
better w/bacon

So Moe, what is the status of the reparation of the gen set?
Also, during the power outage after Ike came through I discovered my neighbor behind me has a Guardian unit as well, am wondering what is the buzzing sound coming from the unit? I first thought it was the transformer out back but not the case. My BIL spoke of wanting to get one of these units also, I explained your problem and of course like water of a ducks back, but both of being squareheads, we often but heads.
Thanks and good luck
L*S
Old 10-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Voice of Experience

Well I bled on Generac customer service and they said they would send parts at no charge and I get the labor. That was the best deal I could get from them.

My dealer is dicking around now and can't seem to get their techs the info they want so parts can be sent.

Everyone agrees that inadequate cooling is killing these units especially in the South. Dealer said he sees this all the time. My advice is don't buy one.

Unless I can modify so the alt gets proper cooling the new parts won't cure the problem.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Voice of Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Moe, we all know how often you dust off your digital camera and actually take a picture, but could you, just this once, take a picture of the unit and the offending un-cool alternator?

Red, same goes for you. I'd like to see the 17 kw innerds as well.

LW

Your post went by me Jef. When the repair takes place I will take some good pics. Not much to see right now.