Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 08-17-2008, 01:11 AM
Tender Member

Default Product review: Milwaukee 1/2" drill

I bought a Milwaukee 1/2" Drill about 4 months ago and got around to using it last night for the first time. It is # 0244-1 and has a powerful 5.5amp motor. The side handle is screws into the body and offers a solid support for drilling. Even though the motor is smaller it is still very powerful and has lots of torque. I found it on sell for $100. I do have to admit I did make a mistake. It was placing a large 3" holesaw on it. The drill spun me around 3 times before I could shut it off. thankfully I was on the ground when this happened and not on a ladder. You just have to make sure the bit doesnt bind because the motor is so powerful, it will twist your arms off. The brushes are replacable and can be changed out in a few minutes and it comes with spares. I did hear that these will not longer be made, they are being replaced with a new model. It also has a Jacobs chuck on it. I am very glad I bought this drill. And the one I got I think I remember seeing Made in USA stamped on the tag.

The newer drills milwaukee makes is the 8.0 amp motor model # 0300-20. The newer one is not built as well and seemed to be cheaper made compared to the older model. These are made in mexico

I also have a dewalt 1/2" spade handle drill and it has a 10 or 12 amp motor on it. I bought It for using hole saws and for mixing paint, or mud, plaster. It works great and is also very powerful. I like it because It has large handles (3) on it to help controll it. But it is big so I bought the small Milwaukee for tighter spaces.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0244-1-lg.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	35217  

Hypertherm 600
HH125 EZ
MM 350P
TB 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Below Wholesale

I always liked the Milwaukees as far as durability. They lasted the longest of any drill where I use to work. The trigger design though has sucked for 30 years. There is no way to let go of the trigger without loosing the grip on the drill.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:08 PM

I've got the 8 amp model. I bought it about 3 years ago and it's been excellent for me. More than enough power and smaller than my other 1/2" drills. I think the 8amp model has been around for a while. I remember seeing them for sale several years ago.

Teacher
Old 08-17-2008, 05:20 PM

1/2 inch drills are great for dancing. I try to kep my foot on the extension cord and the drill cord shortened up as much as possible so if it catches it will unplug itself.

I learned that trick while using old 1" and 3/4" chuck black and decker drills
to hone hydraulic cylinders and other cylindrical objects.

1946 Monarch Hardened Wayu 18x48 (will swing 20x54)
YCI Supermax 10x50
Thermal Arc 300GTSW 1.5 hrs
Triumph 1050 Speed Triple
Kawasaki KFX 450R
Old 08-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry View Post
I always liked the Milwaukees as far as durability. They lasted the longest of any drill where I use to work. The trigger design though has sucked for 30 years. There is no way to let go of the trigger without loosing the grip on the drill.
I agree about the trigger, we have a 1/2" milwaukee "holeshooter" at work for use with hole saws. I think it has beat up just about every guy in the shop.

Ours seems to want to keep spinning forever after you get off the trigger too. Makes cutting grommet holes in a counter top or cabinet a pain in the *** because you pop through and stop and the dang bit keeps spinning for 30 seconds.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Director of Security

"You just have to make sure the bit doesnt bind because the motor is so powerful, it will twist your arms off."

I have one of these and it will definitely teach you how to do the "twist". Dont ask me how I discovered this.

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof

Millermatic 211
Harris oxy/act.
2 propane forges
147 lb. Peter Wright anvil
Old 08-17-2008, 07:40 PM

I have a 5.5 amp holeshooter since 1986. Its still twisting me around. Do they still have the removable cord?

David
Old 08-18-2008, 12:43 AM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

Mine has the removable cord and it is great. I have to watch the power tho it will bend your wrist. I also have the triple gear 90degree drill and i get it out for big work and holes. it gives me a long handle to handle torque.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:35 AM
Boiler God

I have both the 3/8" and the 1/2" model Milwaukee drills, I only use them when the 18v cordless Milwaukee, won't do the job. and Yes, I'm one of the many who have been beaten up by the 1/2" model. A great tool, but for me I use it only when necessary.

Jack
Old 08-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Tender Member

I like the handle on the 5.5 amp drill better. The handle on it screws into the metal body of the drill and is solid. The handle on the newer 8 amp drill justs tightens around the neck of the drill and is flemsy.

I do wish these drills did have a break on them so as soon as you let off the trigger, then it would stop rotating.

Hypertherm 600
HH125 EZ
MM 350P
TB 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist.