Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 08-06-2008, 08:34 PM

Default Coolant Recommendations

Just starting to do some small manual milling on a Bpt.. Plan on using WD40 on the AL stuff, but was wondering what to use on the steel? Someone had told me water soluble oil mixed with water and a spray bottle. I'm not doing big production runs, small one off work.. Recommendations?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Armchair Webbie

I use plain old Ridgid, dark, pipe thread cutting oil. You can get it at any plumbing supply house. For aluminum, I use Cool Tool 2. Everybody has their own favorite, I'm sure.

Dave
Old 08-07-2008, 03:25 AM
SFT Historian

For hobby use I would avoid anything with water.
Every once in awhile the water will separate and get into areas that you cant see and cause rust.

The pictures are of the two oils I mostly use, they will improve tool life and surface finish. I purchased them over 5 years back so I cant say if the formula changed.

I tried to find some that has low odor and non flammable within reason.
There is some odor but low.

The ENCO is what I use most of the time. Its the closest thing to coolant without adding water.
Best for aluminum and I haven't seen any rust on my milling table, apply it with an acid brush.
Its probably the cheapest you will find, about $14.00 gal. the shipping was a low $5.00 maybe they have a warehouse outlet in my state.

Get a box of acid brushes. the ones with hair do good.

===
The RE-LION is a clear cutting oil.
The odor is some what low.
I use it mainly for mild steel and tapping steel.
Looking at ENCO's price $53 gal. is now double of what I paid. If I need more I may look for something cheaper.

I have some cheap Dark cutting oil but its odor is too strong so I limit it's use, it does work better then the RE-LION on steel.
More then likely the darker oil has a higher sulfur content.
I dont know if RE-LION has any sulfur.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Enco 1 oil 220.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	34870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Relion.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	34871  
Old 08-07-2008, 08:55 AM
American Tools Keep Americans Working

Quote:
water soluble oil mixed with water and a spray bottle
That's exactly what we used in the machine shop, and it works very well. The coolant eats up the sprayer after a month or two, so buy one bottle & get a dozen sprayers.

The synthetic coolants are the nicest IMO. Everybody makes one, pick the one you like or ask for names. My last 5 gallon pail (which makes 50 gallons of coolant) was an eBay purchase - can't remember who makes it but it works well in the band saw & for milling/lathe work.

Quote:
Ridgid, dark, pipe thread cutting oil
That works well in a pipe threading machine, where all that nasty, black mess is contained. I don't believe it's thin enough to spray, and cleanup is awful. The water solubles actually remove heat more quickly, and require little cleanup.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:43 AM
Armchair Webbie

Well, the pipe thread oil, is what they were using in the tool & die shop when I started there so, when I took over, I just kept ordering it. You're right Barry, you can't spray it. We used a tuna fish can and an acid brush. At least once a week or more you'd hear a cling, clang, ping, followed by a lot of nasty words your mother wouldn't approve of, when the can got knocked off the table onto the floor.

Squeeze bottles were only a little bit better. Every time you used them, a little oil would remain at the tip and run down the outside of the bottle. This in turn, would get those nasty, needle like bits of swarf clinging to the bottle, right where you were about to grab it. More bad language!

I finally solved the problem by getting some "laboratory wash bottles". They have a bent-over tip, with a tube, down inside. You never have to tip the bottle over, just squeeze. The tip is far enough to the side that, the little drips, drip on the table, not the bottle.

Somebody came up with a no-spill replacement for the tuna can, though. It's called the "Spillmaster". You fill it up with your favorite, brush-on fluid and you can knock it off, onto the floor all day and it just won't spill. I loved mine. Wish I had taken it with me when the plant closed.

Dave
Old 08-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Press One for Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lee View Post
Somebody came up with a no-spill replacement for the tuna can, though. It's called the "Spillmaster". You fill it up with your favorite, brush-on fluid and you can knock it off, onto the floor all day and it just won't spill. I loved mine. Wish I had taken it with me when the plant closed.

Dave
I will agree with Dave on the Spillmaster...it has saved us alot of time cleaning the machine and floor as well as saving precious precious oil. Well now that I did my part to conserve I can fly solo in my own personal jet like our politicians
Sen. Max Baucus Montana

Do you want it right or right now?
Ya can't polish a turd.
The Techie Geek Podcast
Old 08-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Below Wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lee View Post
For aluminum, I use Cool Tool 2. E
I like cool tool, but be carefull around painted surfaces. It will take off any sort of cheap paint!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
The RE-LION is a clear cutting oil.
The odor is some what low.
I use it mainly for mild steel and tapping steel.
I dont know if RE-LION has any sulfur.
From the RE-LI-ON Brochure:
"Ideal for all types of metals. In fact, the Re-Li-On formulation is especially effective on aluminum, stainless steel and other exotic alloys. And it won’t stain any metal because it doesn’t contain sulphur or carbon tetrachloride."

I also use RE-LI-ON. I bought 3 gal a few years back when the local hardware store decided to quit stocking the gallon jugs. They put them on the clearance table for $7.00 per gallon. I have a spray bottle of it sitting by the mill and drill press. I have found that WD40 worked better than RE-LI-ON when drilling holes in Grade 8 bolts.