Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 07-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Curmudgeon

Default Me too Milwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
Hello, My name is Jack, and I'm a complete tool whore, a true hopeless cause. .....
So Jack, I only had 3 working cordless drills - not counting the 4 with expired battery packs - so when son Steve told me about the HodePo deal he ran across for the Milwaukee 18v L-ion I just had to take a look.

1. Here's the deal: one model 00824-20 hammer drill, two 18 volt Lithium-ion battery packs and the charger on sale for $219. Comes in the very nice carrying case (which I will probably never use.) It also has the clamp-on side handle, hi-low range (0-450 rpm low speed, 0-1700 rpm on high speed) and ratcheting action chuck.

2. But wait - there's more. You also get a bonus 0881-20 impact driver and that was the tipping point for me. I don't need a 28v for the light kind of work I undertake, nor did I want the extra weight/bulk but I love these little cordless impact drivers and I am definitely sold in L-ion batteries.

These appear to be stout little machines. My little Ryobi's have served me well for the price but well dammit, you just can't have too many good cordless tools and I think Milwaukees are pretty hard to beat.

This was some kind of closeout or limited stock item. When Steve found them there were only 3 sets on the display and he bought one of them. I had a couple more hours of work that day that day so I doubted there would be any left by the time I got there. There was - I got the last one still in the box on the end cap. Later Steve told me there were 2 more on the over head shelf around the corner on the tool aisle so that took a little of the "specialness" off the deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drill.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	34472   Click image for larger version

Name:	the_set.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	34473  

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 07-25-2008, 06:17 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

thats a good deal,what store had those on sale?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Curmudgeon

HoDePo - Home Depot, the one at 50th & Boston.
The west 50th street store didn't have any.

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Old 07-25-2008, 12:28 PM
One Wonderful Lady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
There was - I got the last one still in the box on the end cap. Later Steve told me there were 2 more on the over head shelf around the corner on the tool aisle so that took a little of the "specialness" off the deal.

If you didn't see the others they weren't there.

Rated M for MAGA
Old 07-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Director: Fish Seduction

If it helps your mind any, I drove by there and looked.

Didn't go in mind you, but I did look...

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 07-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Tender Member

cutter,
thats about $75 cheaper than anywhere on the net. The drill and batteries at that price are a fairly reasonable price, but since you got the impact driver, thats a steal.

Hypertherm 600
HH125 EZ
MM 350P
TB 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:06 AM
Armchair Webbie

Does the impact driver say how much torque it puts out, Cutter? Looks lke a good deal.

Dave
Old 07-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Curmudgeon

The manual is 90% safety & CYA b.s., Dave but I happened to notice on the outside of the sleeve that's now back on the never-to-be-used carrying case that it says 1400 maximum inch pounds. According to Click'nConvert that translates to about 116 ft lbs but I'm not quite sure what "maximum" means.
I haven't used it enough to know what to expect but I have broken several seized/rusty 1/4inch bolts with a Ryobi & that really suprised me the first time.
These things are not meant for doing tires with the little 1/4" drive but for most of what I do around the shop & house they're really handy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	box.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	34525   Click image for larger version

Name:	torque.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	34526  

Just Keep Walking

Old 07-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
cutter,
thats about $75 cheaper than anywhere on the net. The drill and batteries at that price are a fairly reasonable price, but since you got the impact driver, thats a steal.
Ryan, I felt like I was getting the drill set for a Home Depot sale price and the driver was just gravy. I was pretty well set for run of the mill cordless tools but this deal was good enough I didn't want to pass it up.

Just Keep Walking

Old 07-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Big Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20
Hello, My name is Jack, and I'm a complete tool whore, a true hopeless cause. .....
Hello, My name is Tom, I am a complete tool whore as well and beyond the assistance afforded by any 12 step treatment. I hear there is no known cure for this affliction. Unfortunately, I am also a gun-slut, to which there is even less research available. I am able to continue my existence through procurement of tools and firearms I could easily do without but, for reasons not yet understood by modern medicine, continue to get anyway.