Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 05-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Director: Apprentice Gatekeeper

Default HF tire changer?!?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34542

Read a few reviews of the thing, and most say that after you figure out the lousy instructions, it works like a charm.

Right now I've got no less than 3 sets of tires that need to be unmounted/remounted or just good rims with dead tires on them. The 'close to me' place has gotten to a point where they charge whatever the service tech can come up with on short notice, and I don't think they know numbers less than 10. Used to they were the cheapest without crossing the tracks and Discount/Firestone/Bridgestone/Wal-Mart and every other shop have forever charged way too much.

So, for $40 I'm thinking about it real hard--the cost just to remove 4 of the victims. What I'm worried about is how much physical effort it takes, and how bad I'll end up hurting in the morning. Or worse, how much more damage am I going to do to my back?!?

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 05-28-2008, 11:22 PM

I'd say it depends on what kinda tires you have to do. normal like 70 or 75 series tires I'd say no problem. high proformance low profie tires are gonna be hard.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:46 AM
Blast this!

I have had access to one for years.They work as well as the manual ones from the 40's ,30's .The worst part is getting rid of the old tires.Back problems may be a issue.Time to start teaching the kids.That Cub/boy scout is about right.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:28 AM

Grandaddy had one in his service station. Sadly, it's sitting out as "decoration" in my aunt's front yard. I was fortunate enough to be one of the last grandkids to get to use it, but that's been a couple decades back now .

I lucked my way into a fourth set of tires last night, and some blinging chrome wheels for the trailer. The tires need to go on the Jeep, and I'll have to pull the tires for the new wheels off the current ones. I think I'm going to end up practicing--and teaching that boy (maybe some of his other Scout buddies as well).

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 05-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Standard of Excellence

I'd love to hear how it works. I have been thinking about one for a while now as I have to swap tires on things from time to time, as well as tire repairs. Nearest tire store is half an hour away and it costs $20 to dismount/mount a tire with no balancing.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:08 PM

I'll try and get a report back on it tonight or tomorrow. I got some coupons in the mail and am going to try a couple other products as well.

I did get to thinking though... what's involved in re-seating the beads?!? I may end up having to do some work to my compressor lines to set up a high-flow line with a clip on air-chuck.

The close place will probably let me bring them in to use their setup, but it's once again a PITA even though it's free. Since I'm planning to use the airsofts to balance at least I won't have that issue...

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 05-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Below Wholesale

To reseat the bead pull the core and get a clip on tire chuck. Clamp her on and pull the tire towards the bead. Typically once once side hits the rim the tire blows a little and POP! it sits on the bead. It that dosent work, or you have limited air, you can make a homemade cheetah (simple) or if you want to risk it, ether works reeeeal nice (but can be dangerous)

the bead breaker looks to be the first thing that will break. I see that being beefed up quickly
Old 05-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Below Wholesale

where did you see a review for this? Is it on the site or did you just google "hf tire changer review"???

there are a bunch of videos on you tube on the use of this gem if anyone is intrested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmDNu...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlYvKi89Q_U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXa9oa50b-U

Last edited by Cavalry; 05-29-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:39 PM

Pirate of course...

I did get it picked up, along with 10- 29 cent wire brushes, a marked down set of step drill bits, and a locking air chuck. Oh, and one of the chicago pneumatic body saws...

That's about as far as I got with it though for the night.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 05-30-2008, 12:08 AM
Armchair Webbie

After watching the videos, I'd say that's something that should definitely be bolted down.

I built a bead breaker in high school. Copied it off of one in the J.C.Whitney catalog. It worked pretty good, providing, the tire hadn't been on the rim forever and a day. The rest of my arsenal consisted of, 2 long 1/2" bolts in the workbench top, a 3 foot bar and a flattened, dull cold chisel, with a hunk of pipe for leverage. A PITA, to say the least.

Sometimes, the bead breaker just wouldn't do it. So, it was out to the car, put the tire on the ground, under the bumper and place the base of the bumper jack on the bead. The other end went under the bumper and you jacked the car up on the tire and hopefully, the bead would break before the jack kicked out and caught you in the shins.

I didn't dream this up, it was a "helpful hint", featured in Popular Mechanics. Can you imagine the lawsuites, if they published that kind of information today?

There was an old farmer, not far from me, who was also, our schoolbus driver in high school. He used to change his own tires all the time, using the bumper jack method on his old '51 Chevy. He also had a pair of REAL, tire irons and that was all he needed. This was in the mid 1970's and that old Chevy was held together with tar, tape and bailing wire.

If you have trouble, getting the bead to seat when reinflating, try this: tie a rope around the tire and slip about a 2 foot piece of 1/2" round bar between the rope and the tire and start twisting the bar, like a tourniquet. That will squeeze the middle of the tire and cause the beads to bulge out, against the rim seat area. There's a fancy little inflatable gizmo that you can buy, that looks like a ten-speed bike inner tube, inside a cloth sock, with a strap, that you tighten around the tire but, I've found that the rope "tourniquet", works just as well.

Hope some of this helps.

Dave