Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-29-2008, 11:54 AM

Default Rigid Power Tools

I would like to hear from anyone with experience using any Rigid Power Tools (Home Depot). Your likes or dislikes, I have recently purchased a Rigid 12 gallon wet/vac that was on sale, but I have only used it one time. I did like the power it seems to have.

Only problem with wet/vac assembly was with one of the storage foot casters, it was a real tight fit and that one caster would not swivel like it should. I contacted Rigid through email and they are sending me a new storage foot/caster for replacement at no charge.

Any catches to their lifetime warranty they advertise, I have not really researched it but with any such warranty there always seems to be a catch at times, or it seems to be in my case.

I have never purchased any Rigid Power Tools before and was looking for input.

Tony
Old 03-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Made From Scratch

I have been fairly impresed with the quality it Rigid Tools. My dad has several products from them and all have been good quality.
The first thing he bought was a 12 volt cordless drill, and the only complaint that could be made about it is that its heavy. Its got just as much torque as the 19volt craftsmans I use at work and a much better chuck and more solid build. Nicer (dual battery) charger as well.
He also has a combination oscillating belt/spindle sander, and a few other tools from them as well. All have been good machines.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:38 PM

I have a 14in. Rigid chop saw, no problems so far. My Son has a 10in. table saw, which I inherited from his divorce. That one is a lot better than my Craftsman.

Willy
Old 03-29-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy victor View Post
I have a 14in. Rigid chop saw, no problems so far. My Son has a 10in. table saw, which I inherited from his divorce. That one is a lot better than my Craftsman.

Willy
I was looking at the 14" Rigid chop saw just the other day it was on sale. Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Tony
Old 03-29-2008, 05:06 PM
set phasers to .50 caliber

I had the 14" chop saw for 89 days before taking it back and getting a DeWalt. I suppose it works fine unless you do the kind of work where you actually have to adjust the angle of the clamp every once in a while. Then, it's "toolless" design will break its aluminum screw and you'll be stuck. That's my one experience with Ridgid's power tools, but I do admit the others are appealing.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Co-founder, Harbor Freight 12 Step Program

Tony, I've had the ridgid shop vac for several years and am completely satisfied. That bad boy'll suck a golf ball through a garden hose. Also works as a blower.

"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. They can keep the change."
Old 03-29-2008, 06:59 PM
King of Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T. View Post
I would like to hear from anyone with experience using any Rigid Power Tools (Home Depot). . . .

Only problem with wet/vac assembly was with one of the storage foot casters, it was a real tight fit and that one caster would not swivel like it should.

Tony
Tony, I've got one of those Rigid wet/dry vacs. The only problem I have is directly opposite yours--I have one of the wheels won't stay in it's fitting. Other than that no problems.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Lord of the Minions

I've used Rigid plumbing tools, their cutters, threading tools and dies etc for a lifetime and in fact, those that have seen use on the farm and around the house still all work, cut and thread like new. Of course, we've been somewhat anal when it comes to upkeep and putting up of hand tools.

I have one of their larger shop sized vacuums and it see's it's share of gutter/leaf cleaning, floor dust in the folks garage, and everything in my shop from old kitty litter, dirtdobber nests, etc etc. . I will admit that even though a vacuum claims to be wet/dry, I've never had the need or want to suck up water. Just didn't seem that safe. lol

Concerning buying hand tools, you either buy a brand that you have good past dealings with or use of, or you buy what will best suit your needs. Not every jig saw, even the brand I'd prefer, will have certain abilities or have certain specific built in items that will make it more of a problem than a good use tool. You have to fondle a hand tool to know for sure.

Another point to make as most hand tools will come in it's own plastic carrying case, I make sure to open it up before I pass the checkout counter, making sure everything is there and that it at least looks ready to work.

Chop saws, whether abrasive or cutting blades of steel, I put something in the jaws and bring the blade down to see how much side flex/twist it has. If it doesn't stay true with at least several pounds of my pulling down on the handle, it stays on the shelf.

The larger more expensive Ridgid, which was around $400 if memory serves, had no flex with me pulling like my life depended on it. That and it's overall design is what had a new one sitting on my cutting roll away.

That is the only Rigid powered hand type tool that I own besides the Rigid plumbing tools, but I'll definately consider them in the future as the need arises in other motorized tools.

LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 03-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Director of Product Reviews

Thumbs up

I bought the Rigid table saw after many months of research. The packaging and assembly instructions are worth the money alone that I paid for the saw. That is the only Rigid tool that I have and my experience with it has me looking at Rigid first when I'm looking toward the next tool purchase in the line that they have available.

Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call,
Wanted to sail upon your waters
since I was three feet tall.
You've seen it all, you've seen it all.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Lord of the Minions

Tommy, I wanted one of the Rigid table saws that would break down somewhat for storeage and carrying around to and fro etc., but I could not justify buying something I already had in brands of Craftsman and a commercial Delta with heavy azzed cast frame, 5hp motor and 12" blade. That thing spools up like our jet engines on the JStars. lol

That Rigid Table Saw looked well worth the money and I've seen them on sale several times at the box stores for good savings.
LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 03-30-2008 at 02:10 AM.