Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 03-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Boiler God

Default Bosch Titanium Step Drill Bits

I went to an industrial trade show about a month ago, at one of the exhibiters booth, they had a complete line of Bosch tools on display, and off to the side were bushel baskets full of Bosch accessories, at wholesale cost, in there were these titanium step bits. I put in a lot of control cabinets and valve actuator and have found the step bits work real well, I've been using mostly Lenox, and they are expensive, these were on sale for $30 a set. This week I installed a new stainless steel control cabinet, that housed a plc to operate a R/O unit in a milk plant, I had to drill numerous holes for mounting bolts, indicator lights, switches and a touch screen. These bits were great, they drill clean hole and keep their edge well, usually while installing these stainless steel cabinets, I use 4-5 of the Lenox bits, and one this job, I used only the drills in this pack, and they are still sharp. Again on sale they were $30 and normally sell for $58 per set, but they are also avaible as individual bits.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air compressor 001.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	29424  
Old 03-09-2008, 01:51 AM
Armchair Webbie

I know what you mean Platy, I fell in love with those things at my last job.

We had a lot of 1/4" thick aluminum castings that needed some holes enlarged, from 1/2''to 3/4". The guys on the production floor were trying to use a 3/4" Silver and Demming bit in a hand drill. They were getting bashed about pretty good every time the bit got hung up.

The manager had me order some Unibits. I was skeptical but, did it anyway. Man, what a difference! Very well-behaved bits.

I use those waxy sticks called Tap Ease to lube them and it works great.

Dave
Old 03-09-2008, 05:18 AM
Lord of the Minions

Because of what I usually have to drill holes through in one shift at work, I've got a habit of always having something like the wax for close tolerance reaming of stackups in aluminum and several small plastic containers of Boe'lube handy for all the other. Amazing how those little suckers always ride home in a pocket at the end of a shift.

I swear by the stuff for hand drilling holes in aluminum, s/s, mild steel, Titanium, cres, etc etc.
LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 03-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Blast this!

You are allowed to bring them back when you forget to take them out of the pocket. Kind of like gloves and shop towels.When the gloves got holey they were always returned.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Director of Product Reviews

First clue someone in the family works in aviation maintenance is the clanking of hardware in the clothes drier.

Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call,
Wanted to sail upon your waters
since I was three feet tall.
You've seen it all, you've seen it all.