Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Boiler God

Question Harbor Freight Hydraulic press

Has anyone bought a Harbor Freight hydraulic press, I looking for something in a 20-30 ton range. Locally there is nothing but HF for pick up, there are a couple of hydraulic suppliers, that can order me one, but were talking 2-3 weeks, and because of the weight, the shipping cost are getting up there. I'm not concerned about the hydraulic jack part, I'm more concerned about the steel frame work, I priced the steel and it more than I can buy the whole press for. I just dont want to buy the press from HF, if I have to completely reweld the frame, about a month down the road.

Jack

I've looked in the swap sheets, and they want as much as a new one, and they are usually beat to death.

Last edited by platypus20; 03-01-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:41 AM

I've got the 12 ton press, and have been very very pleased with it. If you get a good deal on it, go for it. You can always modify it if you want to later.
--Bob

Scars are tattoos with character...
Millr 210 with 3035 spoolgn, 125cf tank C-25w/.030 wire. spdgls 9002x. Jet 5x6 bndsw, 4.5, 9 inch grindrs, chopsw.

Owner
www.snowblowerskids.com
ARMORskids: Strongest snowblower shoes on the planet. Specifically designed for cracked uneven sidewalks and gravel.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Harbor Freight Backslider

I've had the 20 ton for a number of years now, and have used the dog snott out of it. I like being able to remove the 20 ton jack and use it for other things.
I mounted it on casters so I could move it around the Magic garage as needed
I've pressed a lot of bearings, used it with broaches for internal keyways, and even tried splitting wood, but that wasn't real successful!
I modified a 12 ton to pull stators out of submersiable pump motors, it's still working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	press%20and%20sander.JPG
Views:	731
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	29113   Click image for larger version

Name:	puller_1.JPG
Views:	729
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	29114  

How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of.
???'?? ???'?
Old 03-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Stuff, Just stuff

I have the same one as Jim has there. I use it at work and have never had a problem with it per say. The angle for the legs on the floor needed to be pined in place for me. The welded assembly did not look too bad by my standards. The plates that came with mine need to be fly tooled or milled to make them the same thickness. Other than that it has done all I have asked of it.

Scott
Old 03-01-2008, 11:20 AM

Buy one and throw away the press plates then dont look back. You might look on craigslist for a used one. I bought mine from hf as "missing parts" well the jack was gone no big deal. I put a hydralic cylinder on it from my otc porta power and a electric hydralic power supply. Then mounted it on a roll around stand that raised it up about 16 inches. The cost of the press at hf I think was 50-80 bucks.

Tool's,...................
Too much to list.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Jack , I bought the 12 ton model from HF , the only complaint I had with mine is it is too short , but that may be because I am 6'6" tall . It has done everything I wanted it to do for me here in my shop , from pressing bearing out to disassembling front cartridge bearing to get the hubs for a buddies project . If it doesn't move with main force I add a little heat . Once I get more room I'm looking at building a 50 ton press with a wide bed . But the HF press is real handy for small items . Dan
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 03-01-2008, 01:41 PM

About the only thing that is irritating is the little valve you turn to open and close the hydraulic pump thing. You use the handle you pump with to turn the little valve. Always wanted to make something for it so I wouldn't have to do that, but haven't gotten around to it.
--Bob

Scars are tattoos with character...
Millr 210 with 3035 spoolgn, 125cf tank C-25w/.030 wire. spdgls 9002x. Jet 5x6 bndsw, 4.5, 9 inch grindrs, chopsw.

Owner
www.snowblowerskids.com
ARMORskids: Strongest snowblower shoes on the planet. Specifically designed for cracked uneven sidewalks and gravel.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:00 PM

I bought the 20 ton model, It's a real pain to use. I'd go better qualiy where a hydraulic jack isn't the power ram. I'd prefer a dedicated cylinder that has a more visable working end. Seems to be too much slop in it as well.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:10 PM

I've had a 20 ton for about 4 yrs. No problems yet.
Larry
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government – lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." – Patrick Henry

"Time and hard lessons are one kind of wisdom"
Old 03-01-2008, 04:03 PM

I have a 20 ton version that I bought about ten years ago. It's similar to the HF one, although I bought it from a place called Post Tool.

The welding on it is excellent. It works very well. The only change made was to put an extension lever on the valve that opens and closes the ram.

The HF ones are very good.